RABBIT PROOF FENCE --- TRUE STORY/ AUSSIE FILM

by LDH 33 Replies latest social entertainment

• wombat
    wombat

LDH....

No full-blood Aborigine children were taken away.

But, on the other hand, whole families, including children were and re-located to a central area with other various tribes.

I recall chatting with a 90 yo lady about 25 years ago. She told me how all the blacks camped around her house, what pleasant people they were, and one day a big truck pulled up and loaded them all into the back. They were all taken to a place later called Cherborg. It is still there and we get a lot of fine sportsmen from there.

To-day there are no native people in the Blackall Mountains, inland of the Sunshine Coast, Queensland. And this was their favourite area for their four yearly Bunya pine nut get-together.

But yet...another story..My friends Ian and Margaret onced managed Victoria River Downs - a cattle property once half the size of Tasmania - bigger than some European nations. They are the kindest people.

One day Margaret was bought a tiny baby picaninny that had been left on an ant heap to die. He was a half-caste. I can understand the natives wanting to keep their blood-line pure.

Margaret cleaned the baby up, nursed it back to health, and eventually gave him back to his mother. Soon after the baby was again rescued back from an ant heap and this time Margaret kept it.

Ian and Margaret eventually moved to a coastal town. One day that little baby knocked on her door with his own wife and baby. They are doing fine.

True story.

• Frog
    Frog

I guess Wombats really are nocturnal?!

interesting story Wombat, I imagine there must be plenty of others like it. x

• wombat
    wombat

Frog...You must have exams coming up....My daughter (25/10/79) has some tomorrow. So what are you doing here? Shouldn't you be studying?

Frog...in any issue I see so many shades of grey. I really annoy myself. Whether it be Iraq, globalization, greenhouse or whatever I find it hard to take a stance. I keep seeing both sides of the coin.

I envy my daughter, a tree-hugging vegetarian studying micro-biology and who is going to save the world. Yeah..Better go to bed soon.

• toreador
    toreador

Thanks for the reply LDH. I just realized my profile was wrong on my location when you said Mississippi but I will check here.

Tor

• Frog
    Frog
    Frog...You must have exams coming up....My daughter (25/10/79) has some tomorrow. So what are you doing here? Shouldn't you be studying?

heya womby, yeah I totally have loads & loads of uni work to do, i'm really hopeless at being distracted lately...it's like 3:45am!!...I think I've lost the ability to function as a normal sleep at night individual...oh well

your daughter & I are just a few months apart in age then :). I guess that I too fit the description of tree hugging vegetarian as you put it lol...undergoing an enviro studies & social ecology major & all.

and I hear you on the shades of grey thing. i think having a balanced perspective from both sides of any argument is an immensley good thing. if only there were more people with decision making power that had such excellent proliferal as you :)

in future if you see me on JWD at a suchlike ungodly hour, feel free to boot my bum off here & order me back to work! nitenite, & you too get some sleep man! frog x

• Frog
    Frog

heya womby, yeah I totally have loads & loads of uni work to do, i'm really hopeless at being distracted lately...it's like 3:45am!!...I think I've lost the ability to function as a normal sleep at night individual...oh well

your daughter & I are just a few months apart in age then :). I guess that I too fit the description of tree hugging vegetarian as you put it lol...undergoing an enviro studies & social ecology major & all.

and I hear you on the shades of grey thing. i think having a balanced perspective from both sides of any argument is an immensley good thing. if only there were more people with decision making power that had such excellent proliferal as you :)

in future if you see me on JWD at a suchlike ungodly hour, feel free to boot my bum off here & order me back to work! nitenite, & you too get some sleep man! frog x

• wombat
    wombat

'Nite Froggy.. If ever you want a hol in Qld you've got a few choices.

• Frog
    Frog

sounds fabulous womby - but I thought you said you only enteratain interesting people ;) might just take you up on that one day. frog x nitenite

• wombat
    wombat

G'nite...

• LDH
    LDH

1 entry found for picaninny.

picaninny

n : (offensive) a Black child [syn: pickaninny, piccaninny]

Wombat, wakie wakie.

That story is amazing. Two things I wonder about.

1. is picaninny an offensive word in Australian culture,(it is over here) and

2. You mention you can understand people wanting to keep their bloodline pure.

I can understand that too. What I don't get is, over here black slavewomen were raped so they had no choice. Were the Aboriginal women raped by white men, or was this a result (half-caste) of consensual sexual relations?

Lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit