MORE BRAIN-DEAD QUOTES FROM APRIL 15 WT

by Mary 47 Replies latest jw friends

• gumby
    gumby

One has to remember. Everyone who writes these articles did so from a room in brooklyn that does not belong to them. They get about $25 a month, room and board, and hopefully help from family members. They see life through rose colored and Watchtower stained glasses.

Gumby

• Stephanus
    Stephanus

Good point, Gumby. The idea of loving your work must be pretty distasteful to the average Bethel slave.

• bigmouth
    bigmouth

"
    And don't forget their favourite book, Ecclesiastes: "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might..." (Ecc 9:10)"

You've mis-applied this scripture Stephanus, it's talking about masturbation.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

I'm glad that counsel on haircuts is in the same article as advice on education. There might be somebody out there who picks up on the contrast with regards to what's important in life.

That said, urrrrrrrmmmmmmmmbrrrrlllllllllllllllllLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL *plurt*

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

Point;

Page 14: Take, for example, the decision a young man might face in choosing his hairstyle. No bible command specifically condemns a certain hairdo...........[but] the young man can ask himself, 'Will my hairstyle reflect the modesty that befits a Christian?' (wow! you mean the WTS has nothing else to worry about than what hairstyles young men are wearing?)

Counterpoint;

Since admittedly there is no scriptural command on this issue - How can the question be honestly pursued as they do with 'Will my hairstyle reflect the modesty that befits a Christian?' Would not the 'modesty that befits a Christian' be identified by scripture? If so then the proper statement would have been to leave it in the consience of each individual, wouldn't it? It always amazes me how they can admit they have no right to make a rule - then go right ahead and make a major insinuation that will promote a 'guilt response' to the reader.

Point;

Page 16: "...Suppose you were thinking of accepting a job. Perhaps there is nothing immoral or inappropriate about the nature of the work. You will be able to attend Christian meetings and conventions. They paycheck will be more than you ever expected. The employer values your skill very highly and wants to use you to the fullest......Should anything hold you back from accepting the offer? Well, what if you foresee the possibility of your falling in love with the work. (yes, you read that right). You are told that you would not be forced to work overtime. But to finish a project, would you be willing to push yourself more than you should? Might such overtime become frequent? Could that take you away from your family and eventually from spiritual activities that you definitely should not miss?

Counterpoint; Now it is even wrong to love you work? What unmitigated BS.

One very positive side of this type of article is that some have gone ahead and done the things mentioned in spite of past similar statements and rules to the contrary. This constant override of ones mind and conscience will result in many taking a healthier look at the basis of the organization's power over them. They will tire of the constant guilt trips and the eyes in the congregation looking in their direction with this sort of article being considered.

So some who would have just done what they did - education, job, grooming, what have you - would just be content little dubs otherwise - but the nagging from 'Mother' will allow them a feeling of freedom to nourish the doubts perhaps. The eventuality is 'brain drain' - those willing to think for themselves will eventually leave. I did, and all of you on this board [mostly] did, or will when the opportunity is right.

The WTS is digging their own grave a shovel at a time.

Jeff

• anewme
    anewme

With every Watchtower and Awake magazine and assembly and meeting at the KH I hope my family gets nearer and nearer to calling it quits!

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

And while you're reading this nonsense, please remember that the son of one of the GB -- Judah Ben Schroeder, who was RAISED at Bethel -- is in law school.

What total and absolutely hypocrisy! "By their works you will know them."

Nina

• lowden
    lowden

Hey Mary

Y'know, the sad thing is that there are sincere people in that org' that actually take this utter BOLLOCKS onboard. I used to. But it ruins, or at least takes the joy out of thousands of peoples lives. NO HUMAN can live under such hair-brained restraint. Recently there was a glossy celeb magazine article over here that carried a story about a man that had plastic surgery numerous times. His aim was to look like KEN the Barbie doll.... and he really does! But he's a weird looking freak! My point is that perfection doesn't exist and anyone that strives for it to such an extent turns themselves into someting that society could NEVER recognise as 'normal'. Good thread!

Peace

Lowden

• Balsam
    Balsam

Oh wow, thanks for sharing that it is more stuff to keep the poor rank and file under the Watchtower thumb.

Back about 7 years ago when my family was still active the Elders gave my son, who was 16 at the time home schooled and working with a brother from another congregation building houses, a very hard time. My son worked out in the hot summer in NC and had his hair all shaved off down to about 1/4" so he would but get so hot. The Elders would not let him handle the mikes because of his hair being considered too short. They told him it looked like he was a skin head. Well I went nuts over this and forced my JW husband to talk to the Elders. It didn't help and he just let the Elder humiliate our son with not a word spoken from him. I hated him for allowing this. The Elders who was doing this was a brother who I had respected and trusted, and it made no sense. From that time forward my son didn't care anything about the JW or going to meetings. He would pretend being sick and stay home. Then I was doing the same thing. missing meetings or any reason at all. It was just so disheartening. It seemed that the Elders were on a vendetta against our oldest son. Those creeps, but you know the did us all a favor at the same time because little by little we opened the door to questioning the WTS. 3 years later my son's and I were all out of the JW's.

Balsam

• Collegegurl
    Collegegurl

I actually read these quotes from the watchtower to my dub family. They couldn't believe what it said about work and decorating your house. My mom asked "What drug are these guys on? We can't even enjoy our work?!" Then she said something about being dedicated and baptised to Jehovah not man or an org. Which is not really true, but a good sign. I could tell it really bothered both of my parents. The college issue has really bothered them. I just hope it has raised some doubts in their minds. I think the more the watchtower pushes, the more thinking people, like my parents (hopefully) will leave.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit