MORE BRAIN-DEAD QUOTES FROM APRIL 15 WT

by Mary 47 Replies latest jw friends

• skeeter1
    skeeter1

The WTS is nuts.

God gave us all talents. He made some singers, other artists, others interested in science, medicine, law, auto cars, etc. To "not use" your God-given talent is an injury to Him.

Skeeter

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

You are told that you would not be forced to work overtime. But to finish a project, would you be willing to push yourself more than you should? Might such overtime become frequent? Could that take you away from your family and eventually from spiritual activities that you definitely should not miss?

Let's see if I've got this straight.............not only is working overtime a no-no, but even the possibility of being 'forced' (?) to work overtime should deflect you from taking a job. This, in addition to the danger that you might 'love your job.'

Of course this is written by people who are very out of touch with the real world. The average witness has enough against him getting decent employment, primarily lack of education, but they are now encouraged to turn down job offers because working might interfere with meeting attendance. Holy crap!

Quotes to watch for at the Kingdumb Hell: "I hate my job so much, I want to chew my own leg off." "Very wisely done, Brother Rankfile. Do you want fries with that?"

• purplesofa
    purplesofa
    Well, what if you foresee the possibility of your falling in love with the work. (yes, you read that right). You are told that you would not be forced to work overtime. But to finish a project, would you be willing to push yourself more than you should? Might such overtime become frequent? Could that take you away from your family and eventually from spiritual activities that you definitely should not miss?

This sounds like falling in love is something negative. I have thought about this, as I gave up my jov that I had natural talent for seeking my "closer" relationship wtih God. I think the better counsel here would be for those that love their jobs, to not be totally consumed with it. Like are you one of the blessed people to be in love with your job, is this distracting you from blah blah blah? You can be in love with your job and not obsessed. something like that. Instead it is taken to a level that loving what you do is somehow wrong. God gave us talents to enjoy and use, why wouldnt we naturally love what we do?

No bible command specifically condemns a certain hairdo...........[but] the young man can ask himself, 'Will my hairstyle reflect the modesty that befits a Christian?'

My daughter recently signed up for the army. (don't want her to, but not for religious reasons) All the young men there looked like young brothers. Clean cut, innocent, God fearing youth. I could have easily thought they were going off to Bethel instead of war.

You may know of some who were gradually distracted from Christian activities and from the congregation; now they show no inclination to return to Jehovah's service."

There is no room for balance. It is not normal to be able to do all that is expected, with meetings, service, study, etc. etc. When I look at the pioneers in the congregation, most are ones that have someone else to support them. If someone could be accepted as a lover of Jehovah without the stipulation of meeting attendance, they would have more people in "Jehovahs service"

Frankly, how much emphasis do I put on my home and its decoraton?

HA, I really wish there was something we could do!! I thought this was much better than hanging at the bars, too much recreation, too much overtime at work, I just can' t do anything right!

I am truely tired of being told .........well we know what they really mean when they say........I think what they are saying they really mean.

purps

• Fleur
    Fleur

Well, what if you foresee the possibility of your falling in love with the work.

Come now, brothers...don't you know that falling in love with your work is the first step toward having unplanned, illicit sex with it?

• p717
    p717

My guess on the education issue is the fear of having young "raised in the organisation" witnesses exposed to the "world", and the "apostasy", then encountering questions for themselves. On the job issue, it's important to keep the lower publishers unappy with work/income, and hopeless about the world they live in so that they can see the drab kingdom services as the only viable alternative to a sense of fullfillment. I left in the early 90's, but I was always irritated on how the publications downplayed high-skill work, self employment and the like. I was an art prodigy, and thus I was constantly bombarded with messages that it was a novelty - something that needed to be abandoned in favor of doing something I have absolutely no skill in - selling vacuum cleaners (errrr--publications). A publication in the mid 80's showed an illustration of a woman in a lab coat, obviously doing chemistry work, gazing away from the book like she hated her job. The next illustration showed the same woman conducting a bible study with a recruit, and the two were smiling like they just won the lottery. I found myself siding with the chemistry lab pic despite the forced frown, but the subtext was trying to tell me that work was not fullfilling and somehow I would be innoculated with glee if I pursued a life of mind-numbing repetition of publishing. Another publication about 1988 (the pre-WWW tech boom, usenet era) was discouraging people from "dehumanising tech jobs". Ask any coder of they feel dehumanised. The only answer you'll get is "Yeah, when my whole department was outsourced to india" What about the talent needed to create the MEPS system? There is definitely an anti-education bias, favouring no-skill and mediocrity, because the unskilled are more reliant on the organisation, and less likely to pursue alternative study in spiritual matters as well as secular.

• jgnat
    jgnat

Welcome, p717. You got it right about the anti-work, anti-education bias. When a matronly JW asked about my work, I merely told her I worked for the government. "Oh well, they have good benefits if you get sick." The irony. Two of the three JW's in my department are off on long-term leave. What a testimony they provide to their co-workers, let me tell you!

• frozen one
    frozen one

The Elders would not let him handle the mikes because of his hair being considered too short. They told him it looked like he was a skin head.

Using that logic, wouldn't having neatly trimmed hair make you look like a serial killer such as Ted Bundy? "Good" haircuts along with suits could make you look like corporate thieves such as Enron's Jeff Skilling and Andrew Fastow. Balding and in a suit, you look like Ken Lay...or one of the GB. PhotoPhoto

• Soledad
    Soledad
    Ah yes, imagine falling in love with your job to the point you become one of the top performers in your field,,,,

so after a great accomplishment, you drape the american flag on your back and run around the track a few times,,,

oh i forgot,,,the williams sisters are in good standing,,,what was i thinking:)

Brilliant......

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit