MORE BRAIN-DEAD QUOTES FROM APRIL 15 WT

by Mary 47 Replies latest jw friends

• Mary
    Mary

I really think those in the Writing Dept. should be checked over for Dementia or just plain insanity. Here are some highlights from the April 15th WT magazine that I thought you'd enjoy:

Page 14: Take, for example, the decision a young man might face in choosing his hairstyle. No bible command specifically condemns a certain hairdo...........[but] the young man can ask himself, 'Will my hairstyle reflect the modesty that befits a Christian?' (wow! you mean the WTS has nothing else to worry about than what hairstyles young men are wearing?)

Page 16: (this is hilarious): "...Suppose you were thinking of accepting a job. Perhaps there is nothing immoral or inappropriate about the nature of the work. You will be able to attend Christian meetings and conventions. They paycheck will be more than you ever expected. The employer values your skill very highly and wants to use you to the fullest......Should anything hold you back from accepting the offer? Well, what if you foresee the possibility of your falling in love with the work. (yes, you read that right). You are told that you would not be forced to work overtime. But to finish a project, would you be willing to push yourself more than you should? Might such overtime become frequent? Could that take you away from your family and eventually from spiritual activities that you definitely should not miss?

Page 22: "...Frankly, how much emphasis do I put on my home and its decoraton? What about arranging for extra education to advance a career, though doing that would take up considerable time for a number of years, crowding out important aspects of my spiritual life?.."

Page 27: "...Do you not agree that to continue enjoying divine blesings, we must resist seeking things for ourselves at the expense of Jehovah's worship? (no, not really). That is so whether the activity or interest diverting our attention is the pursuit of wealth, get rich quick schemes, ambitious plans for advanced education to have a desirable career in this sytem or programs for personal fulfillment. (no, I'd much rather have a job where I can say "you want fries with that?).

Page 28: "...[these things mentioned above] are "dead works"......they are spiritually dead, vain and fruitless. If one persists in them, such works could lead to spiritual death. It happened to some anointed Christians in the apostles' day. It has happened to some in our time. You may know of some who were gradually distracted from Christian activities and from the congregation; now they show no inclination to return to Jehovah's service." (gee, anyone here that that applies to?)

Yep....they're trying harder than ever to squash out anything, whether education, a job or a freaking haircut, that doesn't go along with their narrow view of "worship". I'm wondering if they're doing this because so many have finally said 'screw this---my kids need a good education' or '...I want to re-decorate my home like Martha Stewart...' It's incredible considering that the only people they want at Bethel now are ones that have post-secondary education. I know of one sister who was specifically told that they couldn't use her because she "has no formal training in anything" except scrubbing toilets.

I say it's too late. I don't think the majority of the R&F will pay the slightest bit of attention to articles like these. Even though they may believe this is still "the Truth", they also can see what happens to people who don't have an education, who don't have a decent paying job with benefits and they want better than that for their kids.

I wonder how much longer they're going to drone on about the evils of higher education and 'falling in love with your job'..........

• greendawn
    greendawn

They always go on about the need to be spiritual and sacrifice the material side of things, it appears sound advice but in the JW context it's not justified. There are many rich JWs that the poorer ones want to emulate and the WTS itself sets a very bad example when it comes to being non materialistic.

• jgnat
    jgnat

A great career counsellor told me fifteen years ago to discover my dream and pursue it. She said that people who enjoy their work can't help but shine. They will be noticed and promoted. She was right. I love my job, and I am very good at it.

Proverbs 22:29 NIV Do you see a man skilled in his work? He will serve before kings; he will not serve before obscure men.

They are squeezing excellence out of their people.

• InquiryMan
    InquiryMan

Right on target. I had top grades, but skipped education due to the big emphasis on not having an education. My teachers were shocked. Although I have chosen not to be bitter, and enjoy my work, I am a bit appalled that I was so brainwashed.

• theredhead
    theredhead

It just really makes me sick how they keep harping on the school subject. They want kids to quit school and pioneer. They care more about how we appear on the outside than ppl molesting children.

Have they even approached that in an Awake or Watchtower mag.? Remember in the Young ppl ask book they had stuff how materbation is wrong..Will they ever come out with a section that talks about molesting children, and how that is wrong?

It just makes me sick to see how ppl can still be apart of the borg with all this evil going on. If aliens landed on earth tomorrow and God came down from the heavens and told them that the jws were wrong they would still follow the same dumb religion.

Lets guess the ppl who write the mags. quit school? just a thought

• gumby
    gumby

I say it's too late. I don't think the majority of the R&F will pay the slightest bit of attention to articles like these.

I don't either Mary. In fact, they haven't for some time.....but it's getting more that way with dubs. Tired of the bullshit.

It's funny how they can NOT heed the society's advise in some areas, yet obey them in area's that have much more hurtful consequences........such as shunning your own family who exits them. Total hypocracy at it's finest.

Gumby

• Stephanus
    Stephanus
    Page 16: (this is hilarious): "...Suppose you were thinking of accepting a job. Perhaps there is nothing immoral or inappropriate about the nature of the work. You will be able to attend Christian meetings and conventions. They paycheck will be more than you ever expected. The employer values your skill very highly and wants to use you to the fullest......Should anything hold you back from accepting the offer? Well, what if you foresee the possibility of your falling in love with the work. (yes, you read that right). You are told that you would not be forced to work overtime. But to finish a project, would you be willing to push yourself more than you should? Might such overtime become frequent? Could that take you away from your family and eventually from spiritual activities that you definitely should not miss?

This sounds like the kind of white collar job (or "career") that the average uneducated Dub would not commonly get, anyway. Is this scenario really likely to be a problem in Dubdom?

Proverbs 22:29 NIV Do you see a man skilled in his work? He will serve before kings; he will not serve before obscure men.

And don't forget their favourite book, Ecclesiastes: "Whatever your hand finds to do, do it with all your might..." (Ecc 9:10)

• Mary
    Mary
    Gumbers said: It's funny how they can NOT heed the society's advise in some areas, yet obey them in area's that have much more hurtful consequences........such as shunning your own family who exits them. Total hypocracy at it's finest.

That's soooo true. They'll totally ignore the advice not to get a university education but their ears are glued to the "advice" to totally cut off family members who don't believe that Jesus returned in 1914.........does that mean that the average Dub has more love for "material things" than their own families?

• Seeker4
    Seeker4

Those quotes are perfect examples of what I see as one of the greatest weaknesses in Witness thinking: your work or education or personal interests are considered as completely seperate from your "spiritual life" or "spiritual activities."

In reality - and lots of other religions recognize this - work, art, education, music, etc ARE THE WAYS a person expresses their spirituality.

In Watchtower world, unfortunately, spirituality is only expressed by attending meetings, Bible study and field service. What a shallow, shallow view of being spiritual.

S4

• uninformed
    uninformed

Mary,

Thanks for the fine summarization and comments.

When I was still in, articles like that would make me want to scream. I guess that's why I quit reading them.

Control freaks. Bastards.

u

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit