As a JW how do/did you feel about 6 billion people being destroyed?

by jwfacts 62 Replies latest jw experiences

• flyphisher
    flyphisher

gregor

I brought this up to a CO once when we were out in service. His reply? "Little snakes grow up to be big snakes"

An inhuman and cynical answer. Incredible. Shame on him.

• VM44
    VM44

"Those who reject the path to enlightenment must be destroyed."

"Hallowed are the Ori is The Watchtower."

• Purza
    Purza

As a JW, I never believed he would destroy everyone who wasn't a JW. It never made any sense (and still doesn't).

Purza

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Cosmic,

Armageddon is the war of God, so the destruction of humans would be instigated by God.

It is strange that God felt regret for killing people at the flood (it is estimated that 1 billion people were alive at the time), and promised never to drown people by flood again.

So second time round he wants to use other means. Why would he feel less regret for drowning by a Tsunami, burning by fire, swallowing or crushing by an earthquake or zapping them by angels?

• FairMind
    FairMind
    Perhaps the big A is God NOT doing something that he is currently doing?

No, the big “A” is definitely God doing something. The following is from the 1964 Watchtower, page 49 and it points out what Armageddon is. Cosmic, please note.

THE ALTERNATIVE COURSE

35 When we see who make up the two sides in this showdown fight at Armageddon (or, Har–Magedon), we can also see that the fight is over the issue of the sovereignty of the earth. The question that is up for settlement at Armageddon is, Who has the right to rule all the earth? Who will, in fact, rule the earth now and forever—the political rulers of this corrupt system of things or the Son of God, Jesus Christ? When World War I was fought in 1914-1918, mainly between the nations of Christendom, it was over the question of who will dominate the earth politically and commercially. World War II of 1939-1945, which was also chiefly between the nations of Christendom, was over the same question. By all the tokens observable today any third world war would be over the same issue. In agreement with that fact, the human rulers of our earth now yield to the unseen demonic influence of God’s enemies and refuse to hand over the sovereignty of the earth to God’s appointed King, Jesus Christ. Unavoidably God is obliged to use violence at Armageddon. The nations thus bring destruction upon themselves at the hands of God the Almighty at Armageddon, in the worst time of trouble ever in human history.—Matt. 24:21, 22.

• MuadDib
    MuadDib

I never really thought about it much as a JW. I always felt that I was good enough to get into the Paradise and while the thought of my friends and extended family not being there was unpleasant and bothersome I didn't dwell on it. I theorized that the catastrophe of Armageddon and the return of Jebuz would be so overwhelming that it would convince them to turn around and convert - surely no reasonable person would be able to deny the truth of the JW teachings once that all started, or so I thought.

And then I took some modern and military history and started learning about just what it means when a large number of people are killed. I read in horrifying, grisly detail about the Nazi extermination programs, Stalin's war on his own people, the Japanese invasion of China. I learned about battlefields, burial mounds, besieged cities. How to practically deal with a mound of human corpses ("raking up the bones" sounds deceptively simple). And Jehovah, to me, started sounding like Stalin writ large - a megalomaniacal tyrant bent on the destruction of everybody who didn't agree with him, trying to create some kind of horrible dystopia where his will dominated the lives of the few survivors and there was no potential for the growth of either your own individual personality or human society as a whole. Armageddon began to sound more like a war crime than a deliverance from evil. Now I shudder to think that I could once have been so monumentally ignorant as to think that any world would be worth living in after the eradication of humanity and all its history, music, art, architecture, literature, science, and achievement.

Shit, imagine a meeting that never ended. That's the JW paradise, with everybody else in the world killed by their loving God. No fucking thank you.

• Collegegurl
    Collegegurl

As I kid I would wonder about my friends from school, I wasn't any better of a person they were, they hadn't done anything wrong, I had just been "lucky" enough to be born into the truth. But, I didn't give it alot of thought. It really started to bother me as I got older and I noticed kids at school who were really better Christians than I, they read the bible a lot more, they really cared about people, volunteered with a real desire to help others, and this is when it really started bothering me. I do not think that a loving God would kill a third grader because his parents weren't jws. I've asked my parents this, the only answer they can give is "thats why we need to preach so they won't die."

• Victorian sky
    Victorian sky

SCOUT: I don't know what you've been through and unlike the JW I used to be, I'm not going to judge you for it. You referred to Jesus as a bloodthirsty warrior - that's really sad. You forgot the hundreds of scriptures that refer to God's love, mercy and compassion. ("And may you have the power to understand, as all God's people should, how wide, how long, how high, and how deep his love is. May you experience the love of Christ though it is too great to understand fully." - Ephesians 3:18-19) That's the Jesus I know and love. When I was a JW I had a warped relationship with God. I was the servant who couldn't please him no matter how hard I tried and he was my future executioner unless I did more, more, more. You mentioned disfellowshipping and shunning as tame, were you serious? Do you know how many families and lives are ripped apart? I'm not d'fed or d'ad, I'm just free and I'm so grateful, how can i not thank God?

• flyphisher
    flyphisher

Fairmind

1964 Watchtower, page 49: " Unavoidably God is obliged to use violence at Armageddon.."

Nonsense. How could GOD be obliged to use violence? How could GOD be obliged to do something at all? Or: Who could induce HIM to be obliged to do something?

• scout575
    scout575

Victorian sky: Of course there are many Scriptures that portray Jesus in a favourable light ( as is the case with Jehovah ). I was merely pointing out that that isn't the whole story. The Scriptures that I quoted present the unpalatable side of Jesus. I haven't made those Scriptures up, they are there in the Bible for all to see. They present Jesus as a blood thirsty avenging warrior. Read them again if you are in any doubt.

I notice that some Christians like to have a 'Disney-fied' view of the Bible. The fact is there is a very 'dark' side to Jesus and Jehovah that cannot be wished away.

I said that difellowshipping and shunning ( a Bible policy ) is tame, ONLY IN COMPRISON TO COUNTLESS OTHER MORE BARBARIC PUNISHMENTS DECREED BY GOD, like: 1 - Incineration ( Gen 19:24 ). 2 - Drowning - ( Gen 7:21 ) 3 - Eating by worms - ( Acts 12:23 ). 4 - Slaughter by the edge of the sword of men, women AND CHILDREN. - ( Joshua 10: 39 ). I could go on and on, but there's no need to. Victorian sky, you know the psycopathic barbarity that the god of the Bible is depicted as carrying out. COMPARED TO these grotesque punishments, disfellowshipping and shunning is indeed tame.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit