As a JW how do/did you feel about 6 billion people being destroyed?

by jwfacts 62 Replies latest jw experiences

• scout575
    scout575

jwfacts: The elder's remark to you was barbaric in the extreme. However, if the apostle Paul had been asked whether non-Christians living at the time of god's judgement, deserve to die, what would have been his response? The answer seems blatantly obvious to me, after all, he wrote 2 Thess 1: 7-9. The heartless attitudes displayed by JWs come from a deeply flawed, ancient text that Christians have the temerity to call the HOLY Bible.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

this was a point I deeply internalized and later surfaced when I turned 40 and began to seriously question everything I had ever believed in. It was one nail in the WTS Cult's coffin for me. What I find amazing is that as time passes for me, I am still peeling layers of emotional damage away that occured during my years as a dub. It is a true metamorphosis for me, from what I was to who and what I am today.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    As a JW how do/did you feel about 6 billion people being destroyed?

I thought it would be shitty to be them. Thats why I spent a lot of time in service to help as many as I could.

Of course I also was pretty sure I wasnt going to make it either.

• GodisRight
    GodisRight

Before I joined the JW religion. I remember having a piece of litrature from another religion that I would read oftenly. According to them all faithful servants of God prior to armageddon were taken to heaven to rule over the earth for a thousand years while the wicked remained on earth during the thousand year period.

I read the book of revelations alot. If I were you guys, I would not confuse biblical teachings with JW interpretations. I recall a verse that says the wicked repented and gave glory to GOD. Another verse something something torture, but kept alive. The people who God slaughters at the war of armageddon seems to refer to a large military on the verge of conquering Israel rather than every person living on the planet.

Also, the old testament says something about nations coming to Israel with gifts. If All rightous people were taken to heaven and all wicked destroyed at armageddon, then who are those nations bowing low to Israel after the time of the end?

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    I read the book of revelations alot. If I were you guys, I would not confuse biblical teachings with JW interpretations. I recall a verse that says the wicked repented and gave glory to GOD. Another verse something something torture, but kept alive. The people who God slaughters at the war of armageddon seems to refer to a large military on the verge of conquering Israel rather than every person living on the planet.

ROFLMAO!

• flyphisher
    flyphisher

jwfacts

Russell said that most of mankind will survive Armageddon, whereas Rutherford changed it to only be a few JWs.

Easy.

During Rutherfords reign they began to learn mathematics, and they found, that the planet with the new society cannot nourish and bear more than about 20 billions of people. They realized, that the number of all human beings ever have been living in all 6000 years here on earth is perhaps more than 20 billions. Now, when all dead persons are resurrected at the end of the thousand years, the planet would be hopelessly overcrowded. So they changed their view. 20 billions minus 6 billions result in 14 billions. And that`s a tolerable number. Excuse my cynism, please..;-((

• cosmic
    cosmic

I am curious about this thread. Some particular questions: by what means do you see the death of 6 billion people being accomplished? If they are all killed by "natural" means, how will we know it is from "God"? For example, if some "Captain Tripps" type of bug escapes from some research lab somewhere, will that be blamed on God? If God were to alter, say, the DNA of the common grasshopper to where it breeds 10 time faster and is impervious to all but the most harsh insecticides, how long before the wheat/crops of the central US and Canada (I'm not sure how much wheat is in Australia) are replaced by fat grasshoppers? Would we (could we) see this as comming from God? Isn't it quite possible that for 6 billion of us to be erased that God would not have to do anything? Perhaps the big A is God NOT doing something that he is currently doing?

• gumby
    gumby

Watchtower 1989 September 1 p. 19 Remaining Organized for Survival Into the Millennium ***

7 Only Jehovah's Witnesses, those of the anointed remnant and the "great crowd," as a united organization under the protection of the Supreme Organizer, have any Scriptural hope of surviving the impending end of this doomed system dominated by Satan the Devil. ( bold type mine)

Gumby

• serendipity
    serendipity

My liberal JW family never believed that only JW's would be saved. They felt that being a JW was the safest action, but thought that God would read hearts and make fair decisions.

• Gregor
    Gregor

As a young man I was perplexed about this very question, especially the infants and children who would never have the opportunity to make a choice for or against the JW teachings. I brought this up to a CO once when we were out in service. His reply? "Little snakes grow up to be big snakes"

All part of my spiritual journey toward wisdom, knowledge and understanding, eh?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit