without God what would humanity do?

by BlackSwan of Memphis 84 Replies latest jw friends

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    Whoa! wait a tic. Nark, lets get out of the box shall we? Do ya think I might be playing devils advocate here?

Goodness, how pray tell was that in any way a substantive reply to his reply? Are you arguing just to see your own typed out words on a web page?

Won't you clear this up then?

I think that Nark's illustration of the river bed and Satanus's explanation of who it was that taught him morality already suffice.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

S

I got them from my parents, my religion (the wt corp), school teachers, and to an extent from peers.

Did it ever occur to you that "without God" you would not have these? Do you know exactly where they came from? Did it ever occur to you that "without God" you would not be here? "Without God" create your own universe, from nothing. D Dog

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Q.: Without God what would humanity do?

A.: Everything that has been done.

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

N N

A.: Everything that has been done.

And you were there to see it all. I think that most atheists would agree that much was done before humans came along.

D Dog

• upside/down
    upside/down

So far there is no direct evidence of "god"...however, there are people who claim to speak for "god"...dime a dozen.

So I'll answer that question as if it were without "people claiming to speak for god", instead of "god".

We'd thrive!

u/d(of the now if we could only eliminate big politics too class)

• Satanus
    Satanus

DD said

Did it ever occur to you that "without God" you would not have these? Do you know exactly where they came from? Did it ever occur to you that "without God" you would not be here? "Without God" create your own universe, from nothing.
    And you were there to see it all. ; I think that most atheists would agree that much was done before humans came along.

I like it when people answer their own questions.

S

• Satanus
    Satanus

DD

Did it ever occur to you that "without God" you would not have these?

If you are thinking about what is written in the bible, then you should rephrase that to say, 'Did it ever occur to you that "without the jews" you would not have these?'

S

• ellderwho
    ellderwho
    Goodness, how pray tell was that in any way a substantive reply to his reply? Are you arguing just to see your own typed out words on a web page?

Ah yeah. Gee ya got me.

explanation of who it was that taught him morality already suffice.

Still in the box I see.

• SickofLies
    SickofLies

No Religion? No God?

Imagine
    Imagine there's no heaven,
    It's easy if you try,
    No hell below us,
    Above us only sky,
    Imagine all the people
    living for today...

Imagine there's no countries,
    It isnt hard to do,
    Nothing to kill or die for,
    No religion too,
    Imagine all the people
    living life in peace...

Imagine no possesions,
    I wonder if you can,
    No need for greed or hunger,
    A brotherhood of man,
    Imagine all the people
    Sharing all the world...

You may say Im a dreamer,
    but Im not the only one,
    I hope some day you'll join us,
    And the world will live as one.

• Midget-Sasquatch
    Midget-Sasquatch

Elderwho

No one is saying they have sure answers. But if we're talking about where we've gotten our moral laws, its plausible that many human social behaviours (including those we invest with moral values) evolved because of their pragmatism. They contributed to positive group selection. Now thats not to say that this has to be an all or none attribute. Like other traits (e.g height, acuity of different senses, intelligence), "helpfulness" in a population could have a range of degrees to which its expressed. One person's own expression of "helpfulness" can be variable. e.g. not giving someone all tha much assistance if they don't care for them. Like Satanus and others mentioned, there are all sorts of factors (situational or experiential) that can affect this. That doesn't mean it couldn't be some small part of most people's makeup.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit