without God what would humanity do?

by BlackSwan of Memphis 84 Replies latest jw friends

• GodisRight
    GodisRight
    About anything can be traced back to anything earlier.

Stalinism throve on Russian Orthodox soil, Fascism on Italian/Spanish/Portuguese Catholic, Nazism on German Protestant/Catholic, etc. What do you think that "proves"?

It proves exactly what I was saying before. None of the parties you mentioned were Christians.

Hitler, Musso, and Stalin weren't Christians and the fact that they tried to establish harsh governments in contrary to Christanity only to goes to show my point how without christanity democracy would be non existent.

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

20th-century fascism and neo-fascism in the South of Europe (Italy, Spain, Portugal, or even France under Pétain; later Greece, or Latin America) were largely supported by Catholics and most definitely by the church institutions.

The emergence of democracy in 18th-century Europe (which inspired the founders of the U.S.A.) was mostly against the church which stood for "divine right" monarchy.

Crediting Christianity for modern democracy is a joke.

• ellderwho
    ellderwho
    perhaps one day all the atheists will band together and wipe out all the organised religions but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Why would they(atheist) care, this life is purposeless.

The emergence of democracy in 18th-century ;Europe (which inspired the founders of the U.S.A.) ;was mostly against the church which stood for ;"divine right" ;monarchy.

Funny, our founding fathers used "God speak" while drawing up the Declaration of Independence. Ben Franklin called for a two week recess to seek divine guidance. Which then started; begining congress with prayer.

• ellderwho
    ellderwho
    "Lord our Heavenly Father, High and Mighty King of kings, and Lord of lords, who dost from thy throne behold all the dwellers on earth and reignest with power supreme and uncontrolled over all the Kingdoms, Empires and Governments; look down in mercy, we beseech thee, on these our American States, who have fled to thee from the rod of the oppressor and thrown themselves on Thy gracious protection, desiring to be henceforth dependent on Thee, to Thee have they appealed for the righteousness of their cause; to Thee do they now look up for that countenance and support, which Thou alone canst give; take them, therefore, Heavenly Father, under Thy nurturing care; give them wisdom in Council and valor in the field; defeat the malicious designs of our cruel adversaries; convince them of the unrighteousness of their Cause and if they persist in their sanguinary purposes, of own unerring justice, sounding in their hearts, constrain them to drop the weapons of war from their unnerved hands in the day of battle! Be Thou present, O God of wisdom, and direct the councils of this honorable assembly; enable them to settle things on the best and surest foundation. That the scene of blood may be speedily closed; that order, harmony and peace may be effectually restored, and truth and justice, religion and piety, prevail and flourish amongst Thy people. Preserve the health of their bodies and vigor of their minds; shower down on them and the millions they here represent, such temporal blessings as Thou seest expedient for them in this world and crown them with everlasting glory in the world to come. all this we ask In the Name and through the merits of Jesus Christ, Thy Son and our Savior.

Amen."

The First Prayer offered in Congress

September 7th, 1774 by Jacob Duche in Carpenters Hall, Philadelphia
  • Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

ew

I guess Nark, being from France, doesn't know about the Pilgrims. He wouldn't know about religious freedom and why people came to America.

D Dog

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    I guess Nark, being from France, doesn't know about the Pilgrims. He wouldn't know about religious freedom and why people came to America

LOL, funny how some believers always sound so bitter.

We atheists are gonna burn in hell forever right? So why worry?

• ellderwho
    ellderwho
    LOL, funny how some believers ;always sound so bitter.

Yeah funny how atheist are called on an absolute non-truth, by a believer and are refered to as "bitter" in the process. Hmmmmm.

I guess Im bitter by responding.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan
    Im bitter

not only in this instance, but in general, yes

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Dan

I'm not bitter at all. So Nark's strong suit isn't American history, who cares? I'll give the French credit for one thing, John Calvin called for a separation of Church and government, long before anyone in this country, to bad for Nark that he was a Christian.

We atheists are gonna burn in hell forever right? So why worry?

You start with a negative term to describe yourself, looks like you are the bitter one.

D Dog

• ellderwho
    ellderwho
    Im bitter
    not only in this instance, but in general, yes
    EW said"I guess Im bitter by responding."

"Tongue and cheek" there genious. Bring something to the discussion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit