What happened in the 80's?

by Virgochik 39 Replies latest jw friends

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

I got invited to a house party while an elder's daughter.Earth WInd and Fire had a new record (yes, a vinyl record, lol) out.There were four girls in this family and they could really dance and have a good time. They served chips and pop and pizza, the usual snacks, we played Bible charades, Go Fish, Uno, etc. Rumor had it, there had been something "unseemly" about that party, and they were encouraged not to have any more. It was all hush-hush what exactly the problem was, but I guess they thought I complained about something. I didn't, but when my dad came to pick me up, his eyebrow was up about the musiic. I'll bet they had more parties, but didn't invite any elders' kids next time!

• juni
    juni

Well you did play Bible charades - couldn't have been all bad. hee hee

You must live west of the Mississippi River. POP not, SODA. Though I live in mid state WI and you hear both pronunciations.

Yeah, vinyl records. Those were the days when you took your collections to your friend's house and acted stupid. Had to keep the fuzz buildup off the diamond needle too.

Elders' kids were looked at more closely. Of course, Dad didn't want to lose privileges, ya know? That is what is was all about, if you didn't know already.

Juni :)

• Virgochik
    Virgochik

Haha, well, I was raised in Indiana, just around the Lake from Chicago. We always said pop. As for our skating parties, those went kaputt because there had been some (gasp) hand holding while gliding around the rink.

• upside/down
    upside/down

Things were looking pretty damn good....and then I went and joined a cult in'85.

Went down hill fast from there...

u/d

• Dr Jekyll
    Dr Jekyll

I remember that cooling off period too, large gatherings were frowned upon and big gettogethers were poo pooed from the platform.

I also remember in the late 80's the visiting CO telling us off as a congregation because we had a problem with love and because we didn't do anything as a congregation any more. There was a lot of mumbling afterwards because we'd been told to cut all that out and were now being told to do it again.

Personally I think it just helped to create little cliques within the congregation. Family "clans" prayed and played together and everyone else was ignored.

• Kudra
    Kudra

Did all that have anything to do with all the folks (Ray Franz etc) getting disfellowshipped from Bethel?
    I heard that the GB said that they were all disfellowshipped for immorality. To keep others from questioning or something.
    The 80's thing could be a trickle down from that...

-Kudra

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

I was a teen in the late 80's and we had lots of get-togethers, but they had to be very well chaperoned. If boys and girls were dancing together, often one of the chaperones would slip a wt or awake bound volume between the two to make sure they weren't dancing too close. And of course, bible trivia games were a must. Sigh.
    There were lots of skating parties too. There's a public skating rink down by the Toronto harbour and on Sunday nights it was the jw "meat market". Still is to some degree (for all you young lurker dubs looking to hook up). :)
    tall penguin

• juni
    juni

Good evening Virgochik,

Really? Indianan's say "pop"? Probably brought there from Iowa farmers. My My. Holding hands. You naughty children.

I heard that the GB said that they were all disfellowshipped for immorality

Kudra - if you can, read Crisis of Conscience by Ray Franz. Some libraries have it. Otherwise you can go online at www.bookfinder4u.com and find the best price for books. Someone here, I forget who, sorry, recommended that site and I've used it since.

It wasn't for immorality. At first, he wasn't even DF. We were always told at our cong. that he no longer wanted sisters referred to as ministers of God. That's one reason why he wanted to write a book - to clarify the situation.

• crazyblondeb
  • crazyblondeb

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit