Is this one of the reasons they changed the Song Book?

by Gill 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• crazyblondeb
    crazyblondeb

Thanks frog---Now that song is ringing in my head and won't get out!!!! I may have to go knock my head against a brick wall!

shelley

• nelly136
    nelly136

am a bit rusty but wasnt it changed through the death of the writer and something to do with royalties?

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Blondie

What is your point? Here is the NWT

Mat 10:28

And do not become fearful of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; but rather be in fear of him that can destroy both soul and body in Ge·hen'na.

It all depends on how you define the term both.

By using the word "both", this has to mean they are not the same.

D Dog

• Gill
    Gill

Thanks All!

I would have thought that in ordinary English, the words of this song mean:

Don't be afraid if any one kills your body, because only if God decides to kill your Soul are you really dead.

Fear not those who kill the body but cannot destroy the Soul .........

I would dare to suggest, that the Soul and Body are here completely separate.

Why are JWs singing about that?

I didn't realise they were STILL singing about that either.

• lost_light06
    lost_light06

This scripture above caught my eye

"Mat 10:28 And do not become fearful of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; but rather be in fear of him that can destroy both soul and body in Ge·hen'na."

If body without out soul = body without "life force" does this mean that the life force can be destroyed in Ge-hen'na? Is it not Jehovah's life force, would he allow that to be destroyed? Wouldn't he only have to remove his life force, which is not a living entity in itself, in order for the body to be destroyed forever?

• just2sheep
    just2sheep

gill,

you are correct about the soul and body being seperate enities, however added together they are a third enity. together they are what we call a "human being"...gasoline and the combustable engine are seperate things. combine them and you have a third thing. if the one responsible for the third thing(autos,motorcycles,machinery, etc.) chooses, for whatever reason, to not refuel(resurrect, remember, etc.) the engine when it runs out of gasoline it is still an engine, but it has no "life force" or fuel.

we all know that humans can kill another humans body. some of us believe we can all be "refueled", or resurrected, remembered or reincarnated. humans can kill humans, but humans cannot "refuel" humans.

another way i think of it is...are you damned because i say "goddamn you"?

am i "dead" because you say i am?

• Gill
    Gill

just2sheep - perhaps we get to find out the answers to those questions one day.

• TheListener
    TheListener

Per the WTS we don't have souls but we are a soul.

The only explanation I've heard for Matt. 10:28 is that here the word "soul" doesn't mean a separate piece of us apart from the body but the promise of everlasting life.

There doesn't seem to be any scriptural backup for that stance but I've never seen anyone question it at the KH before.

That scripture bugged me as a zealous dub and I hated singing that part of the that song.

• lilybird
    lilybird

Hmmm.. just seems to be another example that the Dubs really don't have a clue what they are talking about...

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

There is an interesting parallel to Matthew 10:28 in the early first-century book of 4 Maccabees:

"Let us with all our hearts consecrate ourselves to God, who gave us our lives, and let us use our bodies as a bulwark for the Law. Let us not fear him who thinks he is killing us, for great is the struggle of the soul and the danger of eternal torment lying before those who transgress the commandment of God. Therefore let us put on the full armor of self-control, which is divine reason. For if we so die, Abraham and Isaac and Jacob will welcome us, and all the fathers will praise us" (4 Maccabees 13:13-17).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit