Is this one of the reasons they changed the Song Book?

by Gill 34 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Gill
  • Gill
    Gill

Do you remember the words of one particular song?

'Fear not those who kill the body, but cannot destroy the soul?'

In JW land, what the hell is that supposed to mean, what with the body and the soul being one in WTBTS doctrine?

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs

They changed the song book???

When?

luv, jojo

• Gopher
    Gopher

"Fear not those who kill the body ... but cannot destroy the soul"

"Faithful to the end continue ... I will help you reach your goal" (ah the memories )

Here's the explanation I remember. According to the Watchtower explanation, Soul = body + life-force.

In the Genesis account, Adam had a body but only after God breathed "the force of life" into him did he became a 'living soul'.

So: Soul minus body = Life force, or Soul minus Life force = body.

People can take away your body, but the mystical "Life Force" is in Jehovah's hands and can be restored in a different body during the future reincarnation, er, resurrection.

• Finally-Free
    Finally-Free
    They changed the song book???

When?

It was changed in 1983 or 1984, before your time. Now I'm feeling old.

W

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

Well, but the song is still in there. No 27

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

They also define soul as your future life prospects. Only Jehooba can take that away from you.

Its a corny song anyhow. That verse always jumped out at me too.

• kittyeatzjdubs
    kittyeatzjdubs
    It was changed in 1983 or 1984, before your time. Now I'm feeling old.

that's the same one they had when i left....they still had that song in there. i thought he meant they had changed it since then.

luv, jojo

• Deputy Dog
    Deputy Dog

Gill

I have been asking JWs about this for years.

Mat 10:28

And do not become fearful of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul; but rather be in fear of him that can destroy both soul and body in Ge·hen'na.

Mat 6:25

"On this account I say to YOU: Stop being anxious about YOUR souls as to what YOU will eat or what YOU will drink, or about YOUR bodies as to what YOU will wear. Does not the soul mean more than food and the body than clothing?

Luk 12:23

For the soul is worth more than food and the body than clothing.

1Th 5:23

May the very God of peace sanctify YOU completely. And sound in every respect may the spirit and soul and body of YOU [brothers] be preserved in a blameless manner at the presence of our Lord Jesus Christ.

NWT

D Dog

• M.J.
    M.J.
    People can take away your body, but the mystical "Life Force" is in Jehovah's hands and can be restored in a different body during the future reincarnation, er, resurrection.

So what the heck is the difference between this and saying that the "soul", "life force", whatever the heck you're calling it, is something that survives the death of the body? Saying that "something" of "us" survives the death of the body, whether we can quantify that "something" in definable terms or not, and then turn around and unequivocally state that our existence is completely annihilated at death is...not consistent.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit