What's for Supper?

by Frannie Banannie 74 Replies latest jw friends

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Everything sounds so scrumptious, yall!

Last night I made nut-and-pineapple-encrusted tilapia with broccoli and peanut-sauce flavored rice.

Leolaia, that sounds very interesting. Got any recipes for that?

• anewme
    anewme

Oooh that does sound comforting and good Lilybird.

Last night we had baked chicken and homemade gravy (I have really gotten good at my chicken gravy)

Does everyone know how to make chicken gravy???? I ask because I was raised without a mom and I remembered only THIS year my dad mentioning how to make gravy one evening long long ago. (My elder husband would never let me make it. Go figure. Just another joy I was denied)

Bake some chicken. You can skin the chicken or leave the skin on. But place the skin in the roasting pan with the chicken pieces cause its the skin that makes the gravy!

Season the whole pan with some seasoned salt, pepper, maybe some fresh rosemary from the garden, maybe some poultry seasoning or Italian seasoning, whatever youve got.

Heat oven to 350 and bake your chicken til the house smells incredible and the chicken is golden brown and falls apart a bit when touched with a fork.

Now, open the oven and take the chicken pieces out of your pan. Set aside.

Drain the spicy hot grease into a sauce pan.

Have ready some butter, white flour and a cup of milk.

Now, heat the sauce pan of grease to medium high.

Stir into the grease a heaping tablespoon of the flour. Stir while it thickens and bubbles.

Now slowly pour in the milk, little by little, stirring all the time. Watch your heat. Maybe turn it down. Keep stirring. See how it is thickening?? Delicious!

Now taste it to see if it needs a little something. Butter? More pepper or salt?

Practice making your gravy! I swear there is just something about chicken gravy that makes me feel soooooo good to be alive!!!

Serve it hot on rice, chicken, over butternut squash and parsnips, potatoes.......

• lilybird
    lilybird

The recipe you have for chicken gravy sounds yummy, anewme,,, I usually just make mine with flour,,, I think it would taste much better the way you make it.. I am going to try it your way the next time I make chicken gravy.. Thanks for the tip!!!!!

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

Anewme, thanks for the chicken & gravy tips. Another yummy spice concoction to use is Texjoy's Steak Seasoning. Yeah, it tastes good on steak, but it's scrumptious on chicken, too.

Sheppard's Pie with red wine in the broth ,, with green peas on the side..and some more red wine..

Lilybird, that sounds wonderful. Sounds like something my Aunt used to make. YUM!

• luna2
    luna2

A big, open-faced Reuben sandwich, grilled under the broiler until the Swiss cheese is bubbly and just turning brown, is what is on the menu for this evening. No fries with it though...I'll just make a spinach salad with avacado, tomatoes and cucumbers topped with an olive oil/balsamic vinegrette dressing.

Clam, that icy cold Chardonnay sounds awfully good, but I don't know much about buying wine. Don't think you'd drink wine with a Reuben sandwish, would you? Maybe beer would be better with that, except I'm not feeling like beer today.

• anewme
    anewme

You gals made me sooooo hungry! I just had to go and make myself a Saturday brunch omelette.
    Deeeelicious!!!

Ok, now I can concentrate better on your recipes!

Luna I am drueling over your Reuben.

• Fe2O3Girl
  • damselfly
    damselfly

We've had the BBQ out for a few weeks now. Tonight was butterflied pork loin chops and ceasar salad. MMMMmmmmmmm.

Dams

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie

That BBQ pit reminds me, dams.......I've gotta get my Sam's Club card renewed so I can go get one of their whole pork loins and stuff that puppy and BBQ it.......scrumdiddlyumptious!

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

We have a little Fijian grocery near our house that has the most amazing frozen meat and fish.* We just defrosted a big ol' slab of mahi-mahi fillet and broiled it with mustard vinaigrette. I cooked some buckwheat pilaf to go with it and we'll round out the meal with braised leeks from last night.

Dessert? Who needs dessert? Well, maybe a couple pieces of Russell Stover sugar-free chocolates.

GentlyFeral

*Later in the week we have red mullet (goatfish - such cute little pink-skinned critters) and boneless venison to look forward to.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit