IS THERE A SAFE/EFFECTIVE WAY?

by Terry 53 Replies latest jw friends

• ballistic
    ballistic

I'm in a similar situation to you and have gone down the online dating route. I can tell you good experiences and bad doing so, but on the whole it's been ... interesting.

I face one more complication in that I am 34 and would like children, which I know seems weird for a guy to say, but I guess I have left it later then all my friends and have hit an early-mid life crisis.

Most women on the dating sites my age have one or several children already and many have made their mind up not to have any more (geeez is it really that bad?)

I am not struck by the weirdness of online dating anymore, but there are a few key concepts to understand about how they operate and how to make the most of them if you wish me to enlarge on it.

• crankytoe
    crankytoe

Hope this doesn't make me look like a sleezball,

Get involved with the Humane Society, there are TONS of nice caring women of all ages/intelligence/income who turn out for the orientations. I nice caring man can make friends easily there,

• jstalin
    jstalin
    go gay?

That ain't so easy either.

• Bryan
    Bryan

Join the Symphony, Opera and Museum.

They will have mixers where you will meet many wonderful and unique people.

Bryan

• BrendaCloutier
    BrendaCloutier
    I just want a normal person. Is there any such thing as NORMAL anymore?

Sadly, Terry, "Normal" is only a setting on your washing machine....

However, I agree with Franny.

Good luck and don't take it too seriously. More fun that way!

• luna2
    luna2

Good luck with the online dating, Terry. I know several happy (as far as I know) couples who connected this way. Others don't have as much success. I have a couple of friends (one in her mid-30's and one in her mid to late 20's) who have had a few nice dates and a few rotten dates via online dating but neither have been able to develop a relationship beyond friendship...or at least that was the situation last time I talked to them. Sounds like it might be fun to give it a shot, though.

ballistic, you hear (tv, mags, radio shows) that there are all kinds of career women in their 30's who waited to get married and have kids and now are looking to start a family. Is that a myth? You'd think they'd be lining up for a chance to date a guy who is looking for a serious relationship!

• Brigid
    Brigid

I wouldn't entirely dismiss online dating either. A person's soul can really come through when writing. Although, you'll want to get pics before meeting anyone in person. Also, www.meetup.com is a "place" where people of similar interests make plans to congregate in person in different cities--anything from pug lovers to pagans to philosophers.

Good luck!

~Brigid

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

Barnes & Noble

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Terry, try doing something that you LOVE to do that involves other people, whether it be volunteering, educational, artsy or recreational.

The problem with this is when a guy goes to do something that interests him it is usually a "guy thing"... basically he finds himself at a sausage fest.

• ballistic
    ballistic
    ballistic, you hear (tv, mags, radio shows) that there are all kinds of career women in their 30's who waited to get married and have kids and now are looking to start a family. Is that a myth? You'd think they'd be lining up for a chance to date a guy who is looking for a serious relationship!

Good point! I work for a large corporation with lots of career women. The thing is not many of them are single in their mid thirties. And also - now I hope I don't offend anyone here!!! the high flyers tend to be interested in how much you earn and what car you drive. That attitude to life really puts me off. I want someone who will accept the fact that I work for a big corporation as a means to an end, and hang out in my jeans the rest of the time and ride my motorbike. Aggresive, assertive, materialistic types really do nothing for me.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit