Do you have a good job, a crappy job or are you self-employed (happily?)

by seesthesky 62 Replies latest jw experiences

• mark hughes
    mark hughes

I've just started a new business of my own which took 3 exams, a lot of money and 18 months to get this far.

Yes I love it or do I mean I can't afford not to at the moment?

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

I had a very good job as jobs go. Doing skilled trades instruction for a major Electric and Gas Utility company..with some safety and methods counsulting work mixed into the job description. I quit it recently, as the politics had become unbearable.

I have over 20 years of electrical and construction experience to fall back on. I have been looking for work in the area... the Union work should be picking up in a few weeks. I would like to do something on my own...or go into sales or some other associated job in the construction or electrical feild.

Problem is I am competing with BS and BA kids who will do the same work for a song just to pay for the student loans they have hanging over their heads.

Anyone need a good electrician? Or Consultant? Maybe some light repair work on the house?

~Hill

• Jourles
    Jourles

Hey Hill! Whenever I get around to buying a backup generator for my house, are you interested in doing some side work? *wink wink*

I just need someone who knows the local codes and can put in the transfer switch and all the other goodies. My forte is with DC -- I hate working on AC.

• hillbilly
    hillbilly

you bet Jourles....I dont work cheap

~Hill

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

I, too, have a BS:

- only trouble is, in my case that means "Bachelor of Stupidity"; and I gained it from 28 years of reading every word in every Awake magazine I could get hold of!

My present job is crappy - at times in the most literal sense - as in last week when I had to pump out the septic tank in the power station.

(Although being employed as the Power Station Foreman; in the remote Southern Highlands region of Papua New Guinea, you have to be ready to do just about anything.)

On the plus side, for someone without any university qualifications (the BS excluded!), the job pays well.

We also get flown out to Australia for continuous 12 day break every month - whereas I have had other just as crappy jobs where you virtually had to work 24 / 7.

So, if you can handle the usual Third World countries' threats to your health - not to mention the dangerous law and order problems of this part of Papua New Guinea - the job is almost tolerable.

This comes, though, from trying to find a decent job when you haven't got a university degree.

In my case, as with all too many others who correspond with this discussion board - that situation came about courtesy of our beloved WTS:

- All I can say to them for that is "Thanks a b____dy lot!

Jack.

• collegegirl21
    collegegirl21

I have a question... a lot of you said that you work from home or are self employed... if you don't mind my asking, what do you do? I'm just curious because I would like to work from home as long as I don't have to put a lot of money down. Thanks!

• Soledad
    Soledad

I have a crappy job in a crappy corporate environment. The people I work with are a mixed bag: some are great, others I won't trust as far as I could throw them. Oh and the pay is real crappy too .

What are the pluses: I know the job very well, I am well liked and often praised. However it is the only thing I know how to do, and even after obtaining my college degree and some non-degree certifications, I am no closer to being "skilled" at any particular task.

I don't know what I want to do, that's my main problem right now. I see myself as a "jack of all trades but a master at nothing." I've started on so many possible paths, anything and everything from teaching, social work, law enforcement, real estate and insurance sales, to construction, plumbing, cooking and cleaning services, hairdressing, choreography, computer programming........you name it, I've either done and/or tried to do it.

Tee hee <silly grin>. I'm reading a book right now called "Your own worst enemy: Breaking the habit of adult underachievement." How appropriate. I think I am a chronic underachiever.

• Goldminer
    Goldminer

I have a good job working for the second largest gold producer in the world. The pay's not bad,the work not too hard and the schedule is great.Plus I get a lot of time to read and snooze at work,which is great.No pressure and nobody bothers me,I love it! The best job I ever had.

Goldminer

• jeeprube
    jeeprube

I'm a Union Electrician. The pay is good, the hours are decent, and I actually get to use my mind at work. I'm also working towards a degree in either Construction Management, or Electrical Engineering. I would trade it all for Low-Key's booze job, bastard!

• still angry
    still angry

collegegirl21 - My husband and I are self employed (mortgage brokers). It is a fantastic feeling to be in control of your own life. We have a three loan officers that work for us, most the time out of their homes, although they have space they can use if they'd like in office, too. There are many great opportunites out there for self employment and working from home, but watch out for the scams. It shouldn't cost you a lot of money, if any, unless it's for a government license, etc.

Good luck to you!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit