Do you have a good job, a crappy job or are you self-employed (happily?)

by seesthesky 62 Replies latest jw experiences

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

When I left school I was forced into a Joinery Apprenticeship; social factors including being a Jehovahs Witness made damn sure I was conditioned into believing that this was the 'right thing to do'; but...after working through about 5 positions (redundancies during the building recession of the early nineties) I came to the conclusion that I shouldnt ignore what I had always wanted to do and knew I was more capable of.

I have never been big on manual dexterity but my mind has always been active, I have always been articulate and had always been fascinated with law and eventually I am where I am.

I enjoy my work, its pressurised, its stressful, but at least I am doing something which I am capable of and get a great deal of satisfaction from. I couldnt ask for more really. Although qualified as a Paralegal I am still studying and part of me will always strive for more academically. Yep I would say I have a good job, and largely happy with what I do.

Two fingers to the WTBTS who thought I couldnt do it though

DB74

• eddie c
    eddie c

As i sit here looking out the window at the snowflakes and contemplating whether to go to work, i cant help but wonder,"why am i still doing this job?" .I work as a Visual Optic Technician,otherwise known as a window cleaner.

You see,i started cleaning windows for a living back in 1973.Me and another witness wanted to spend more time spreading the so-called good news, before the "end" came in 1975. A couple of years doing this will be fine,we thought. Well since those boys in Brooklyn postponed Armageddon for a few years here i am still polishing the glass.

The good news is that i really enjoy my job. It does have its "ups and down" and sometimes its a bit of a "pane",but at least i am still going up in the world.

I meet many interesting people,i have the freedom of being self-employed,i can go on holiday whenever i choose and right now i am taking my wonderful wife of 35 years out for breakfast.

On the Watchtower front.We were set free in the early eighties and decided it was better to trust God rather than a bunch of old boys in Brooklyn.Come on,of all the wonderful places in the world,would God set up his headquarters in Brooklyn?.

So whatever you are doing today,be happy and have a nice day.

Eddie

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974

Welcome to the forum Eddie.

I have a theory though and perhaps you can clarify; I have heard there is more money in Window Cleaning than people actually think; I mean lets say you charge £8.50 per house; you can clear 4 houses in a hour or being conservative 3.

3 x 8.50 = £25.50 per hour; x 30 hours per week. = £765.00 per week x 48 weeks = £36,720.00 per year.

And I wonder why so many got their own window cleaning round?

DB74

• eddie c
    eddie c

Hi DB,

£8,50 per house? not where i live mate. But yes,the money is o/k if you put the time in,which i dont.

Eddie

• unclebruce
    unclebruce
    When I left school I was forced into a Joinery Apprenticeship; social factors including being a Jehovahs Witness made damn sure I was conditioned into believing that this was the 'right thing to do

Wow DB - in 1972 the same forces had me pioneer rather than get a plumbing apprenticeship (my Grandad ran one of the biggest Plumbing firms in Australia but alas the "end was nigh") So I caught up later.

===

Welcome to the board Eddie.. we need more corny jokes on JWD

plenty of ex Jehovah's Windowcleaners here too

PS: If anyone can clean more than one house/hour it must be a very small house ..

• fleaman uk
    fleaman uk

lowkey lysmith

I hate you..every day must be like xmas for you...lol

yeah,my job nows pretty good and the pay is fine.But in line with another poster i used to be the stereotypical ,pioneer,ms window cleaner.I was happy go lucky,the work was simple and i used to earn over £20 an hour.This was 10 years ago..so was pretty good.There werent enough Robin Askwith moments tho .Heehee

• greendawn
    greendawn

I am self employed in teaching, giving private tuition, and I think that's the best way you don't have to run around asking for a job from other ppl and there is always demand for this plus the rates are good. I can do as little or as much as I wish, even 60 hours per week had I wanted to. On the other hand you don't get any time off paid by an employer.

• Clam
    Clam

Good post Eddie and welcome,

LOL @ Visual Optic Technician

I love those modern job desciptions. How about Glazing Optimisation Consultant too? I know a bin man who calls himself an Environmental Technical Services Operative.

Also LOL @ Robin Asquith. Why was there always a common myth in the Britain of the 70s that window cleaners/ milkmen/coalmen etc had to spend their lives fending off huge numbers of insatiable nymphomaniacal housewives?

• coffee_black
    coffee_black

I love my job...every day is different. My company is one of the top window manufacturers in the world. I call on Architects and put on "Lunch & Learn" seminars teaching them about glazing systems. It is one of the Forbes top 100 companies to work for.

Coffee

• luna2
    luna2

I'm working for my father in his store at the present. My nominal "title" is Office Manager. I used to enjoy it, but for the past couple of years I've been on auto-pilot, maybe because I finally realized that this store was more of a hobby than anything else to my folks. It was something to do that seemed exciting and gave them status in the community, but not something they were really committed to. I've been rather stupid and lazy by not going out and finding something else, but I get paralyzed when dealing with family, thinking they need me and other such crap. LOL

This year should see a lot of changes. Hope I'm ready.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit