Do you have a good job, a crappy job or are you self-employed (happily?)

by seesthesky 62 Replies latest jw experiences

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

I'm presently teaching at university level, but it's only for this academic year.

I'm depressed at the moment about my work situation because I had a rough month of job interviews that didn't lead anywhere...

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

(((((((Leolaia))))))

I am a self employed carpenter/plumber. It's hard work, once I find it. Moving from Sydney to a small rural community has been very hard. If you're not family or haven't bred into one of the local tribes you're often looked at like you've got the evil eye

best wishes, unc

• Effervescent
    Effervescent

Self employed and LOVING it! I had a job at a bank that I really loved, the JOB part anyways. I couldn't stand some of the people I had to work with, and their little chicken dances over every little issue that came up. (Not with me, with the work we did in general) Then there was the Supervisor who would tap her clicky shoes on her plastic chair mat allllllll day long. clickclickclickclickclickclickclickclick ARRRRGH! Basically what it came down to though was that I was paying to work, because of having three children in daycare, two full time and one after school. I started my own business and although it's frustrating at times, and I've really struggled with my discipline, but when you see all your hard work getting results finally it feels soooo good. All your work is for YOU, not some corporate head living in a city somewhere. It's been alot of hard work but so worth it.

• seesthesky
    seesthesky

"I'm presently teaching at university level, but it's only for this academic year.

I'm depressed at the moment about my work situation because I had a rough month of job interviews that didn't lead anywhere"

umm - your posts make u seem damn smart - u probably have already finished your dissertation and will soon hold the "dr." title (and likely well deserved) - so keep your head up - i'm sure you'll get a job of your chosing soon enough - and, if not, you'll add a great deal to the bread line

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

i turn tricks for kinky older couples...

it's a good job. my sort of hours... high burn out rate though... hehe...

i think i'm gonna get a job as a bike courier again. that was the most satisfiying job i ever had. actually, i am going to go drop in on my old boss tomorrow morning. yes, this is good. nice. i'm excited now!

ts

• Highlander
    Highlander

Happily self employed.

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

I have one of the best jobs ever!!!!! I am the Corporate Liquor Manager for a Northwest Brewpub chain that has 53 locations scattered across Oregon and Washington. My job consists of buying liquor for the Company, conducting liquor education and training for newly hired folks, setting liquor prices and inventing drink specials. The real kicker is that I frequently meet with Liquor Distribution Company sales reps who wine me, dine me, and toss bottle after bottle of free booze my way in hopes of convincing me to purchase their products. I get to go to a lot of parties and ball games too. I know, I'm showing off. I'll shut up now.

-Breck

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

seesthesky....The problem is that there are very few academic jobs and I missed out on the only local one...otherwise I'd have to move to some obscure place far away to teach. And I'm not sure now what I want to do....I love researching more than anything, and writing, but I don't enjoy teaching that much. Would love to be self-employed if I could.... but right now, I have no idea what I'm going to be doing workwise next year. I know there's a book I'm going to write so I'll prolly be working on that, but that won't put food on the table...

• diamondblue1974
    diamondblue1974
    I'm depressed at the moment about my work situation because I had a rough month of job interviews that didn't lead anywhere...

Really sorry to hear that; things will get better I am sure!

DB74

• Clam
    Clam

I was in a good job for 12 years but started to realise I didn't want to be doing it until I retired. I packed it in, sold my house, travelled around for 6 months and then started working for myself. I then invented and patented an industrial product which I struggled to both develop and patent. It's now doing really well, but I've learned lots of lessons along the way. As an English inventor I could never have made it here. All my help came from Americans and Aussies. With new stuff, the Brits from what I've experienced see Risk, whereas the Americans and Aussies see Opportunity.

That all seems strange to me considering that this is such a country of innovation, past and present.

I'd certainly never work for someone again. This life is short, so make the best of it, and do what makes you happy and gives you some freedom, not what gets you material things.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit