Did anyone actually enjoy field service?

by Check_Your_Premises 54 Replies latest jw experiences

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

Did anyone ever actually admit it if they hated it?

CYP

• upside/down
    upside/down

Although I didn't "enjoy" it... I really thought I was doing the "work of the lord".

And I took it seriously... I knew my sh*t...and didn't like to waste time "pretending" or "counting time"...just wanted to save or warn as many as possible... and be found busy in "the work of the lord"...when the big A came.

What a dope.

u/d(of the NEVER AGAIN class)

• serendipity
    serendipity

My aunt was a pioneer and she enjoyed going in service. She lived in a rural area, so people tended to invite her in and she'd spend hours on return visits and Bible studies.

Years ago, at a get together, I admitted I had to force myself to go in field service. There was stunned silence and people moved away from me.

• undercover
    undercover

I wouldn't admit it to myself at the time, but I'll admit now....I hated it.

I thought I was doing the right thing, but never felt comfortable or enjoyable. It was hard work and I was so exhausted after even a two hour stint of it on Saturday morning. They used to tell us it was because Satan and his demons were fighting us, that's why we were so tired, but now I know it's because it's a stressful chore that goes against our nature.

• slugga
    slugga

I enjoyed doing out in rural territory, the territory wasn't covered that much so people seemed more responsive. Plus I got to get out into the countryside

:)

• Reefton Jack
    Reefton Jack

No more than I enjoyed the two-hour long, boring meetings - or the four day long boring assemblies.

Further to that, I honestly believed that I was not enjoying the "Field Service" because there was a point that I was missing somewhere along the line! I did believe that this was "Jehovah's Service" - just that there must be something wrong with me, if I did not like what I was doing.

Jack.

• Toronto_Guy
    Toronto_Guy

Yes, I did enjoy it, not so much in rural areas though. Too much driving around in the car.

I liked it in downtown Toronto, meeting people from all over the world, learning about different cultures, practicing my Chinese, doing street witnessing early in the morning with good friends, learning to deal with all types of people and adapt to them. Didn't like it so much in the cold of winter though. lol

Toronto_guy

• mustang
    mustang

This is about the best I've ever seen it stated; and this is THE TRUTH:

I wouldn't admit it to myself at the time, but I'll admit now....I hated it.
    I thought I was doing the right thing, but never felt comfortable or enjoyable. It was hard work and I was so exhausted after even a two hour stint of it on Saturday morning. They used to tell us it was because Satan and his demons were fighting us, that's why we were so tired, but now I know it's because it's a stressful chore that goes against our nature.

This is what I felt like, but survival instincts kept me from saying or even admitting until maybe a decade after I left:

Years ago, at a get together, I admitted I had to force myself to go in field service.

And these people are thoroughly indoctrinated (I would have just shrugged it off, knowing that it was true):

There was stunned silence and people moved away from me.

Mustang

Who has learned that "to thine own self be true" should be in the Bible.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

I haaaaaated FS.

• beachbugg
    beachbugg

I always hated field service!

Sometimes I would pretend to knock on the door but actually never touch it....of course I could only do it when one of my friends went to the door with me.

I lied on my time sheet too..........but I did enjoy the doughnut breaks!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit