Did anyone actually enjoy field service?

by Check_Your_Premises 54 Replies latest jw experiences

• anewme
    anewme

Wait, I did enjoy the home tours though. I wasnt the kind to 'pick my future residence', but I certainly appreciated the beautiful well kept grounds and homes of the neighborhoods. I felt in my heart, what business have I, someone with no education and a rundown home and weedfilled lawn,(unhappy to boot) to approach these people and claim to have something they need?

The average person never gets to approach right up to the doors of these gorgeous homes unless one is the Fuller Brush or Avon Lady.

• Highlander
    Highlander

I remember many examples given of pioneers that would pray before each door because they weren't comfortable or terrified to be out preaching.

I took this example to heart(sort of) At each door I prayed that no one was home. I thank god my prayers were answered most of the time.

In summary,, I hated preaching about something I didn't believe. I promise I'll never preach again!

• Jez
    Jez

I hated not knowing who would be on the other side of the door. I was terrified it was going to be some knowledgable religious person that would stand there and make me quickly defend my beliefs. That happened to me too many times and I hated not being able to answer some questions.

BUT I did enjoy street, or as they call it now, contact work. Because I picked the people that I approached.

I had a blast pioneering with my in laws when I was 17, 18 years old because we would start street work at 7am, 1 hour doing that, go for breakfast/coffee, field service for 1/2 hour, return visits for up to 2 hours, and then not at homes to end the day. We were done by noon and enjoyed each others company. ALL those hours and I don't think I reached one person, I didn't have one study, not one got baptized, RV fizzled out. Looking back, it was a huge waste of time.

Jez

• GermanXJW
    GermanXJW

In my environment it was not problem to admit you did not like it. There was agreement that preaching was an unnatural work that would come to an end so did not have to love it but do it for Jehober.

• Sgt Pepper
    Sgt Pepper

No - I hated it!

Like most publishers I dreaded anyone showing any interest just in case I had to wake up.

Working with a pioneer or elder could be ok as they knew how to skive big time.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit