Intro's quote-o-rama

by Introspection 151 Replies latest watchtower medical

• Introspection
    Introspection
    I was driving on the freeway in the fast lane
    With a rabid wolverine in my underwear
    When suddenly a guy behind me in the back seat
    Popped right up and cupped his hands across my eyes
    I guessed, "Is it Uncle Frank or Cousin Louie?
    Is it Bob or Joe or Walter?
    Could it be Bill or Jim or Ed or Bernie or Steve?"
    I probably would have kept on guessing
    But about that time we crashed into the truck
    And as I'm laying bleeding there on the asphalt
    Finally I recognize the face of my hibachi dealer
    Who takes off his prosthetic lips and tells me

Everything you know is wrong
    Black is white, up is down and short is long
    And everything you thought was just so important doesn't matter
    Just forget the words and sing along
    All you need to understand is

-Weird Al Yankovic

What?

"When people do not ignore what they should ignore, but ignore what they should not ignore, this is known as true ignorance." -The Book of Chuang Tzu

• Introspection
    Introspection

I've been thinking about the subject of renunciation, and then I came across the following words from the epic work Dare to be Stupid:

It's time to make a mountain out of a molehill.
    So can I have a volunteer?
    There's no more time for crying over spilled milk.
    Now it's time for crying in your beer.
    Settle down and raise a family, join the P.T.A.
    Buy some sensible shoes and a Chevrolet.
    Then party till you're broke, and they drag you away.
    It's okay.
    You can dare to be stupid.
    Now as we know, in many of the great spiritual traditions they talk about leaving the family, either physically or otherwise for spiritual development, even Jesus himself made some comments to that effect. So is it possible, considering what he mentions in the verses above that yogi Yankovic realized this too as well? Seriously, what do you think about this subject? Of course this thread is supposed to be for quotes so I don't want to go off topic too much, so maybe we can make a game of it and reply with quotes..

"When people do not ignore what they should ignore, but ignore what they should not ignore, this is known as true ignorance." -The Book of Chuang Tzu

• Seven
    Seven

Good morning Intro and all.

Not working for personal gain:

Consider the core of the mind to be a wagon, with will-power to be carried about in it. Push it to a
    place where there can be failure, and there will be failure. Push it to a place where there can be
    success, and there will be success. But whether there is success or failure, if one entrusts himself to
    the straightness of this wagon of the core of the mind, he will attain right-mindedness in either case.
    Severing oneself from desire and being like a rock or tree, nothing will ever be achieved. Not
    departing from desire, but realizing a desireless right-mindedness -- this is the Way.-Takuan Soho

• Introspection
    Introspection

More from the book of Chuang Tzu:

Supposed words constitute ninte-tenths of discourse, quotes make up seven tenths and flowing words are brought forth every day, refined by the influence of Heaven.

Supposed words which constitute nine-tenths are similar to people who are brough in from outside. For example, no father is used as a reference for his son, for the father cannot be as objective as people (who otherwise wouldn't listen to me), for otherwise people would only pay attention to what they already know and dismiss anything else. Thus they say that whatever agrees with them is right, but whatever they dislike they call wrong.

Quotes make up seven-tenths and are there to stop arguments, which they do because they are respected as the words of sagacious elders. However, those who are old but have not grasped the warp and weft, the root and branch of things cannot be quoted as sagacious elders. A person like this hasn't understood the Tao. Nor has he understood the Tao of humanity. He is just a sad remnant of another time.

Flowing words are spoken every day and they harmonize through the influence of Heaven, continuing for ever and so extending my years. If nothing is said about them, they remain in agreement, and agreement is not affected by words: words are in agreement but agreement is not words. So it is said, 'say nothing'. Words say nothing, so you can talk all your life and say nothing. In contrast you can live your life without speaking and have said things of worth.

• Eyebrow
    Eyebrow

"'Tis better to be a witty fool, than a foolish wit."

Some clown in Shakespeare's Twelfth Night (Or was it Midsummer Night's Dream???)

"Just stop asking questions and do it! I cannot see beyond what I just told you to do!"

Me, talking to my 10 year old son after telling him to empty the dishwasher for the 4th time in ten minutes.

"I've got a straw! Want a demonstration???"

The Tick to some guy in a coffee shop that was questing whether he was a real tick, because ticks suck blood. (A great comic book and cartoon!)

"I brought you into this world, and I can take you out!"

Every parent, to every child, at least once.

• Introspection
    Introspection

Back to Trungpa's book:

The action of the bodhisattva is like the moon shining on one hundred bowls of water, so that there are one hundred moons, one in each bowl. This is not the moon's design nor was it designed by anyone else. But for some strange reason there happen to be one hundred moons reflected in one hundred bowls of water. Openness means this kind of absolute trust and self-confidence. The open situation of compassion works this way rather than by deliberately attempting to create one hundred moons, one in each bowl.
    This is the open way, the Bodhisattva Path. A bodhisattva would not care, even if he received a medal from all the Buddhas proclaiming him the bravest bodhisattva in the entire universe; he would not care at all. You never read stories of the bodhisattvas receiving medals in the sacred writings. And quite rightly so, because there is no need for them to prove anything. The bodhisattva's action is spontaneous, it is the open life, open communication which does not involve struggle or speed at all.
  • Tatiana
    Tatiana

Sometimes
    I sits and thinks....
    and sometimes
    I just sits.

Satchel Paige

April

"Love never dies." Voivodul Vlad Draculea (from Bram Stoker's Dracula-1992)

• ladonna
    ladonna

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

• Seven
    Seven

"When there is no more separation between 'this' and 'that,' it is called the still-point of the Tao. At the still
    point in the center of the circle one can see the infinite in all things.".+
    - Chuang Tzu

• Seven
    Seven

"We are shaped by our thoughts; we become what we think. When the mind is pure, joy follows like a shadow that never leaves."
    - The Buddha

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit