I used to listen but not really. I'd look at the platform/speaker stand, look like I was paying attention, get antsy, and find another elder to "discuss" something ith. I JUST got to the meeting----right before it was to start and if the talkative PO decided that his last part was going to go overtime, I'd put on my coat and look at the big clock on my way out in front of everyone and leave for the local bar.
What Went Thru Your Mind While Sitting at The Meetings?
I would sit and think of the most painful way to commit suicide. I concluded that being tied to the back of the truck and being dragged down a dirt road would be the ticket.
It's like my mind is on fire, when i listen. When i tune out i fall asleep. Mostly i stand in the back and people have the impression that i work so hard i need to stand up to stay awake. When i was younger i spent all the meetings making origami flowers and birds and would give to little kids..
I discovered after 33 years that i never actually TOOK my mind to the meetings.
I often played mind games with myself.
I would try to broaden my perceptual focus to include as much of the hall as possible without zoning in on any one thing. The results was rather cacophonous, but very interesting. I could hear people whispering on the other side of the hall... each page turned, every murmur, seat creak...
Another thing I would do was to pretend I could stop time at will and what I would do with such a godlike power.
Other times I would open to the back of my bible and look at the artwork back there of the holy and most holies, check out the Hebrew letters and compare with Psalms to see what the letters were called. I was very interested that YHVH was actually Yod Heh Vav Heh. (Gee, no wonder I went on to have a strong interest in the Kabbalah.)
The rest of the time, I would be checking out the hot sisters.
- Hmmm... Sister Hottie is looking sweet today
- Gee, I wonder if I turned off the iron
- lol... South Park
- Now who was the shortest man in the bible again? Oh yeah, Bildad the Shuhite (Job 25:1)
- I sure wish Sister Hairspray wouldn't use so much perfume... it's making me sick.
- Oh gawd... Sister Elderly just cut a nasty one!
- *Snort* Uh oh, what page is everyone on again?
- Damn, they've only gone through two pages.
- Finally! The closing prayer!
- God Damnit! Brother Long Winded was called to say the prayer!
- Yeah yeah yeah... forgive us for our falling shorts.... bla... bla... bla...
- End of the world any day now.... bla... bla... bla...
- *Snort* Did they just say "amen"?!?!?!
- Yes! Finally! I can go home!
- Noooooo! Not Young Brother "Look What I Can Do"!!!!!!!
If it was Tuesday: I hope I get home in time to see "Mystery"
If it was Thursday: I hope I get home in time to see "Hill Street Blues", drat! I just missed "Family Ties" and "The Cosby Show"
If it was Sunday: I had to miss "Sunday Morning" for this?
This was the greatest of all torches for me. I would go inside out when ever someone would answer with the BORG mentality, you know judgemental and over and beyond what the paragraph actually said. The P.O. was really hated amongst almost everyone in the hall my wife she would get up and join the company of other Elders wife's fleeing into the bathroom while the P.O. Gave his talks.
Lot's of things unrelated to what was being said.