No JWs in sight....what happened to them?

by kid-A 47 Replies latest jw friends

• damselfly
    damselfly

I know this has become a cliched joke about the JW's and the coffee shop or MacDonalds but I swear these are the place I run in to them.

They never come to my door but if I go to the local Tim Hortons ( a mere 5 min drive form my door! ) on a Saturday morning say around 10:30, they are out in full force getting a double-double and a boston cream. Ditto for MacDonalds, I just need to go on a Sunday around 12:30 - 1 pm and Look! it's everyone who shuns me in public.

Maybe a mere presence in public in "kingdom hall" clothes is enough of a "witness" this days?

Dams

• anewme
    anewme

If you think they give a **** you are sadly mistaken.

You are right to wonder if they are a mislead sad miserable cult.

• CountryGuy
    CountryGuy

I did a fade and a move out of state:

-Lived in Missouri for two years, no JWs.
    -Lived in Texas for six years, no JWs but did find an old copy of the Watchtower rolled up next to my door knob (threw it away)..
    -Moved back to AR three years ago, no JWs at my door, but I did get "Gang Blessed" at Wal-Mart about 2.5 years ago by two elders.

I gave the two elders my address and phone number and told them that they were welcome to come by or call at anytime. They never did, thank goodness. (This was before I discovered JWD and had any ammo to throw back at them.) Now that I think about it, they asked me a lot of questions about my views on the organization. I don't remember what I said, but I did repeat what I thought they wanted to hear. They probably just announced that I was no longer a JW and left it at that.

CountryGuy

• greendawn
    greendawn

There's a sympathetic old man in his late seventies that comes here every six months or so, he is a totally naive and well meaning person that really believes in what the WTS taught him. So I don't argue much with him let him believe in all that, he is too old change.

• Soledad
    Soledad

I have lived in this neighborhood for almost 7 years and I never had a witness knock on my door nor have I seen them doing street work. Only once in all these years. On occasion I will see them in the bus/train stations but no one pays any mind to them and they don't go out of their way to talk to anyone either.

Also, this was my observation a couple of months ago on a street that formerly used to be buzzing with JW activity many years ago

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/100488/1.ashx

• Fatfreek
    Fatfreek

We've been living in this country home for more than 14 years and have been called on once. My wife and I were both home at the time. She saw the car in the driveway, they didn't knock, and she brought me a rolled up magazine they'd left in the doorknob at which time I saw the car leave. Sorry I didn't get a chance to ask a question or two.
    We're by no means wealthy. We're retired and live in a better than average home. I say that, in no way, to be boasting as we feel very priviledged and thankful for what we have.
    I say that because, in thinking back to the days when I went out in the work, the popular trait was (30+ years ago) to get a territory out of the box that was in the poorer part of town. Yes, we were reminded to work territories in order of the least worked. But that did not happen. The residents in the poorer sections were far less threatening. They seldom challenged you. Many of them looked up to men at their door with suit coats and ties, women with dresses and hats.
    We hated homes like the one we live in. We never dreamed of using the phone or internet (it didn't exist) as a way of counting hours. Hmmm ... sounds so good I may go back -- NOT.

Fats

• Honesty
    Honesty

The JW's used to crawl down my street in pairs at least 4 or 5 times a year. The P.O. studied with the neighbor across the street until he accepted a blood transfusion while in the hospital for leukemia. One sister had a RV with the neighbor lady across the circle.

All of the JW activity came to an abrupt end almost immediately after I escaped. One of my fading friends told me that when he was a publisher in my old congregation a couple of elders showed him my house and told him an evil apostate lived there. I think I'll stay here a few more years. Gotta keep the neighborhood clean and free of vermin.

• DaveNwisconsin
    DaveNwisconsin

There should be a way one can ban them from coming to our homes anyhow. Why would I want to buy a magazine from people dressed like Stepford wives?

• Alakzam
    Alakzam

I have wondered where they all are... I moved to Dallas in 1999...never had one witness at my door...I worked with one but she NEVER witnessed to any of us (except to state why she would not join in the Christmas party).

I moved back home in 2003. I went on the standart swedish maternity leave of 480 paid days off. I have been home almost EVERY day the last year and a half....no one has knocked... No magazines or tracts left to be thrown away.... It is quite nice!

• proandcon
    proandcon

Field service here in many New England US congs is very light...no one seen in my neighborhood (metropolitan Boston) in over 2 years. (or anywhere else for that matter)The younger ones don't have any where near the zeal a number of the older ones had. Many teens are leading double lives and skirt field service like the plague. Ver few are "wholesouled" (tm). Most seem to be going thru the motions and just trying to keep up a facade. (and keep the elders off their back or look to get cong "priveleges" bestowed.). WT has a huge problem on its hands I think...remotivating the masses does not seem possible or very likely...sometimes there's a "campaign" to distribute tracts, etc to all households in the area...that gets some action...then the activity clearly deminishes...proandcon

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit