How can one id a real Christian?

by BlackSwan of Memphis 64 Replies latest jw friends

• DEV
    DEV

Here's my definition of a "christian"....one who practices "love" in this way. Corinthians 1:13

1 If I speak in the tongues [a] of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2 If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3 If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, [b] but have not love, I gain nothing.

4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10 but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11 When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12 Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13 And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Anyone living life in this way....deserves to be called a Christian.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Ok guys...

I am truly apologetic that I came up with this topic, my intention was not to make anyone feel like less of a Christian or person, despite personal beliefs. Honestly.

This is my ultimate intent:

The JW's try to paint the picture that they are true Christians and everyone else is a false Christian or a part of Babylon the Great.

I think that despite your denomination, despite what you believe about Christ, there are some incredibly awesome telling features of what he taught that would mark a Christian (disciple of Christ), and that does not include chronology or date setting or forcing your religious views on another.

Real Christian was used with the idea of the JW's in mind. Someone brought this up.

Being a "real" christian is not a matter of hemlines not a matter of beards not a matter of chronology it's a matter of love...

All the laws that Christ taught are ultimately centered on love. To me anyway.

Sherry...

When I first started mentally leaving the jw's my first thought was Christian Fundamentalism. The idea of my family (despite how they've hurt me) being thrown into hell because they aren't saved bothered me a great deal. Still does. Sometime we should talk because I think there is A lot we could talk about. You're right: you're a loving person but you aren't a Christian. So are all loving persons Christian? Or all Christians loving? ...

What is more important? To me? The love. I think that is what God/dess is looking at. Our love for one another and how that spills over into our everyday life is most telling. We might not be perfect, but it's what I really believe Christ was trying to teach us.

I guess I wanted to try to show... that when Christ taught that it wasn't all the great things that a person did, but it was the love we show to one another as believers and unbelievers, Samaritans and Non Samaritans that would id a person as a follower of Christ. I realize that not everyone has the same belief about Jesus and his teachings, just my viewpoint.

Didn't mean to offend anyone.

meagan

• jgnat
    jgnat

Great topic, Black Swan. I'm glad you brought it up. No apologies necessary.

• bebu
    bebu
    I am truly apologetic that I came up with this topic, my intention was not to make anyone feel like less of a Christian or person, despite personal beliefs.

?? No apologies needed here.

You were asking not what makes a Christian a Christian (which would be beliefs--probably the simplest being faith in Christ for forgiveness of one's sins). There are plenty of nice people in this world who are not Christians. Being loving does not mean one is technically a Christian. The real meaning of Christian is tossed away if it only turns into a synonym for "nice".

When I first answered this question it was with the assumption someone was identifying him/herself a Christian. If that is so, then your question is perfectly allowable, imo. If Jesus said we'd be able to tell false prophets by their fruits, then we should not apologize if we examine a bit over time for that fruit, so that we not be taken in by imposters.

John 15:8 This is to my Father's glory, that you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.

Discernment is needed to be careful about false prophets, not to judge the other entirely.

There's the story about a large German shepherd that looked haughtily down his nose at a chihuaha and said, "You don't look at all like a dog to me!" And the chihuahua replied, "I may not look like the kind of dog you are, but I assure you, I am certainly not a cat!"

bebu

• Star Moore
    Star Moore

Auld Soul...I think the points I made about the "Mark of the Beast" and "Beating Swords to Plowshares" "and Groaning and Sighing over the detestable things" is pertinent now because we are at the "time of the end". And these are "time of the end" prophesies not really applicable neccessarily before.

Black Swan...cool what you said about

1. Christians because they are loving?

2. Loving because they are Christians...?

I'll vote for #1....

• Think
    Think

Follow Christ.

DO, (reading 45,000 times not good enoygh) what Jesus Did.

Love God and your fellow man. ( Gratest Commandment).

• jgnat
    jgnat

I'll beat Auld Soul to the next burning question, Star Moore. How do you know we are at "the time of the end"?

• Think
    Think

Black Swan, I agree with you about Love. Love is the #1 quality.

God IS LOVE.

According to JW, they only love you if you are peddling magazines, if you don't the love is GONE.

JW are Hypocrites # 1 on Planet Earth.

• just2sheep
    just2sheep

john 4:23---nevertheless, the hour is coming, and it is now, when the true worshipers will worship the Father with spirit and truth...

galations 5:22-23--- ...the fruitage of the spirit is love,joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faith, mildness, self-control. against such things there is no law.

because we are mortal the time of the end is always near, we may not have until tomorrow to start exhibiting the fruitage of the spirit. if i die tonight as a jerk, the fact that i intended to do better tomorrow does not mean anything.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

Black Swan, excellent points! Don't apologize, this is an excellent topic. The thought the witnesses portray that everyone not believing their way will be destroyed is very similar to other fundamentalists, actually. There are a lot of very kind, very loving, very honest people in the world that are not christian, and the thought that they will be destroyed on that technicality (when they are living up to the spirit of the intent) is ludicrous. I still maintain there are many paths to that same end, and we may call our higher power different things, but if we manifest those good qualities, treat others with respect, live lawful loving lives, then really who is anyone to judge?

Again, interesting topic.

Sherry

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit