How can one id a real Christian?

by BlackSwan of Memphis 64 Replies latest jw friends

• jgnat
    jgnat

Auld Soul and Star Moore, I'm starting a new thread on this topic so we don't entangle Black Swan's excellent thread. Like Auld Soul, I am also very interested in how a bible-believer comes to the conclusion that we are living in the end times NOW. I'm not questioning the bible here, but the OBSERVATIONS that make a modern reader come to this conclusion.

And secondary to that, like Auld Soul, I would like to understand how BELIEVING THE END TIMES ARE IMMINENT change a Christian's behavior, if at all.

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/12/107563/1.ashx

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

"he wasn't like Circuit Overseers of today who leech off the congregations they visit or like the Pastors of Churches today who suck their congregations dry while living in finery."

Please note: I was referring ONLY to any Circuit Overseers who "leech off the congregations they visit" and to any Pastors of Churches who "suck their congregations dry while living in finery." I sincerely apologize if anyone was offended by my lack of clarity on that score. I was not implying or inferring that either condition exists in every case, but it is a reality that by far the rule is proven true.

For example, "Dave is not like those of group X who do Y." That does not exclude Dave from being like any members of group X, it only excludes Dave from being like the members of group X that meet the specific criteria Y. Even if every member of X except one met the criteria Y, Dave could still be like that one exception.

I hope this clarifies my statement well enough.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

But where do all the Zs go?

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Silly Scotsman! Those who are last shall be first, of course.

• Elsewhere
  • bebu
    bebu

LOL! Clothing articles! How simple!

The Mormons even already have that idea in motion...

(Underwear that indicates you've been thru the Mormon temple rites)

Easy ID for sure.

bebu

• SeymourButts
    SeymourButts
    Ironically, the ones who jump up and down, about what a Christian should be or shouldn't be, often aren't... ..they make the gate too high, as an excuse for not entering themselves, then apply that irrelevant standard to others.

I didn't set the height of the gate; the Bible accomplished that on its own. The fact that you choose a path of selective morality would rather demonstrate a lowering of that "gate" to a more convenient and comfortable height. Anything deemed inconvenient is either rationalized away or ignored altogether, even though these mere "formalities" and "irrelevant standards" are no less binding than any other currently accepted moral code of the New Testament. "For truly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass the law until all is accomplished. Whoever then relaxes one of the least of these commandments and teaches men so, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but he who does them and teaches them shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven"--Matt. 5:18-19 RSV It would be blatantly hypocrisy to use the history of the Watchtower as a tool against them while denying this same examination to the core beliefs of what one currently holds to be "truth." If in fact, the Bible is the inspired word of God, then no single passage is any more valid than the remaining. Choosing only what is satisfying and pleasing while rejecting that which is self-denying or objectionable doesn't demonstrate much faith in the claim that it truly is the word of God. The denigration of God's "irrelevant standard" only serves to further demonstrate my point. The inane idea that the Bible, with all of its barbarism and absurdity, is somehow the word of a loving and merciful God is beyond the realm of rational thought and reason. A God that relies upon threats of eternal torment and suffering to keep the subjects in line, while at the same time offering rewards to those that carried out his murderous habits, is not a God deserving of worship even by the lowest of creatures. The journey towards true inner peace can only begin from within. No one can tell you what is truly important to you in your life. This is something you must discern on your own and can only be found through deep examination of ones inner self. If one needs a book to dictate that murder is wrong or to explain that loving ones fellow man is upright and proper, they have other issues to deal with. Christians do not hold a copyright on love and good morals and in fact go out of their way to forcefully push their beliefs into every segment of society. Those that resist are automatically labeled as evil and hateful, only deserving of a violent death at the hand of their "loving" God. I really doubt you could find a "true Christian" that would even think twice about voting for a politician that claimed to be an atheist or Muslim. Non-judgmental?...doesn't appear that way. Good morals are just that....good morals. Pitch the ancient mythology of tent dwelling sheep herders and love life now. Live now, love now. There is no greater satisfaction than helping one that is less fortunate so that they too may live life's journey with a smile. Don't look at or consider this life as some sort of stepping stone to a mythical afterlife that was promised by superstitious control freaks. Go out and enjoy life now, cherish every minute of it. It's the only life you have, don't waste it.

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Seymour:Sorry buddy, but if your post is anything to go by it would appear that you haven't a clue.

The "secret" of Christianity is that you don't have to jump a gate - it swings open for those who wish it. Even the wretched refuse, in human terms, can enter freely.

The fact that you choose a path of selective morality would rather demonstrate a lowering of that "gate" to a more convenient and comfortable height.

What do you know of my personal morality?

It would be blatantly hypocrisy to use the history of the Watchtower as a tool against them while denying this same examination to the core beliefs of what one currently holds to be "truth."

Apples and pears.

The WTS have been entirely hypocritical and have gone against the tenets of what they hold to be "true". You might have to point out where I've done similar...

• SeymourButts
    SeymourButts
    Sorry buddy, but if your post is anything to go by it would appear that you haven't a clue.

More dancing around the fact that you disregard what is unpleasing in the bible. There doesn't seem to be a problem with diving in an out of the Bible to encourage others to "turn the other cheek, " yet consider it irrelevant when the same book might actually require something tangible like dollars out of the pocket or extra effort. Yet, you call me clueless...sounds like the pot calling the kettle black. Don't get mad when someone uses your own Bible to point out the hypocrisy.

The "secret" of Christianity is that you don't have to jump a gate - it swings open for those who wish it. Even the wretched refuse, in human terms, can enter freely.

Uh, yeah....enter or die...nice "secret" Someone that loves you doesn't threaten you with torment for not believing.

What do you know of my personal morality?

Popping in and out of the supposed inspired word of God to pick and choose what makes one feel good while neglecting and rationalizing away the murderous barbarism of the same "moral guide" can very well be described as selective morality. If you like it, you expound on it, if you don't, you dismiss it as irrelevant.

Apples and pears.

The WTS have been entirely hypocritical and have gone against the tenets of what they hold to be "true". You might have to point out where I've done similar...

Nice Watchtowerism!

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

Yup, clueless, antagonistic tripe. You don't know me, my beliefs or my morality, yet you attempt to sit in judgement from the sidelines.

May ask how you would feel if a never-been-a-jw told you how you feel and what you believe as either a JW or an exJW? It would kinda lose credibility, wouldn't it? Unless you've walked a mile in someone's shoes...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit