How can one id a real Christian?

by BlackSwan of Memphis 64 Replies latest jw friends

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

?????

Please back up with scriptural evidence.

meagan

ps thanks in advance

• daystar
    daystar

I know this is in absolutely no way directed towards me.

First, the people involved will have to come to some agreement upon a definition of the word "Christian", which will never, ever, ever happen.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Maybe we could start with Christian meaning simply follower/devotee of Christ, daystar.

(good point!)

meagan

• daystar
    daystar
    Maybe we could start with Christian meaning simply follower/devotee of Christ, daystar.

Ok, but JWs, for example, would never agree to that definition.

Identifying a "real" Christian is an entirely subjective task.

It's like asking which is the best ice cream.

• JeffT
    JeffT

Ask Jesus. I'm serious, he's the only one that knows.

Speaking as a Christian it is my position that any one who calls himself a Christian is one. Some may be better at it than others (I have plenty of stuff I need to work on) but it is not up to any of us to determine who is a "real" Christian.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

Ok....

Let me rephrase it:

According to the Bible how can a Christian be identified?

Daystar, you are right in that a jw might not agree with this, but I'm curious as to if we use the Bible exclusively to determine how to id a Christian.

In other words...

Do we id a Christian by the ability/nonability (as the case may be) to prophesy? By the cross that they wear?

What is the scriptural marker for a Christian?

meagan

• daystar
    daystar

blackswan

but I'm curious as to if we use the Bible exclusively to determine how to id a Christian.

In other words...

Do we id a Christian by the ability/nonability (as the case may be) to prophesy? By the cross that they wear?

What is the scriptural marker for a Christian?

Well, it all depends upon interpretation, doesn't it? The JWs interpret the cross right out of the picture, don't they?

My point is, I guess... why try to "ID" a Christian? If you read the bible and decide for yourself what it means to you to be a Christian, or, better yet, enter into a dialog with Christ as another person indicated, and live your life according to what you determine to be best, who cares about you identifying others, or others identifying you as Christian? This is how sects and religions are formed, by dividing and categorizing.

I guess another way of putting it might be that should you gain the holy spirit and come to know "Jesus" in a truly intimate way, when you meet someone else who has also, all you need do is look into their eyes to know their hearts.

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

John 13:34-35
    A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.

I think this is kind of where I'm coming from...

meagan

• daystar
    daystar
    John 13:34-35

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.

I think this is kind of where I'm coming from...

Well, then... there ya go!

• BlackSwan of Memphis
    BlackSwan of Memphis

K...

can anyone think of any other similar scriptures??

This is the only one that came to my mind.

My ultimate point would be, that yes the jw's have their own version of this ...

But going by what Jesus himself taught, we can see what really are the id marks of a Christian.

This scripture is one, anything else, any other scriptures?

thank you ds

meagan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit