Would you want Jesus as a friend?

by scout575 58 Replies latest jw friends

• LittleToe
    LittleToe
    But I suppose if he was willing to change I could take him fishing for a trial run.

So will we be offering that trip to the JW Jesus or the NT one?

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

A better question imo might be: Which Jesus would you want as a friend?

I'd fall for the "Q" Jesus (from the teaching common to Matthew and Luke):

But I say to you that listen, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. If anyone strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also; and from anyone who takes away your coat do not withhold even your shirt. Give to everyone who begs from you; and if anyone takes away your goods, do not ask for them again. Do to others as you would have them do to you.
    "If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. If you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. If you lend to those from whom you hope to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, to receive as much again. But love your enemies, do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return. Your reward will be great, and you will be children of the Most High; for he is kind to the ungrateful and the wicked. Be merciful, just as your Father is merciful.
    "Do not judge, and you will not be judged; do not condemn, and you will not be condemned. Forgive, and you will be forgiven; give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together, running over, will be put into your lap; for the measure you give will be the measure you get back.
    (Not so sure he would want me as a friend though.)
  • LittleToe
    LittleToe

Didier:

That one suits me, too.

Why wouldn't he want you? Are you that unforgiving?

• THE SHOOTIST
    THE SHOOTIST

I believe the Jesus of the gospels is a fictional character. However, if he was real, I would surely have liked him and wanted him as a friend. Any person who treated children the way he did in the gospels and was able to perform all those wonderful miracles, I again say, I would've wanted as my friend. I've also seen some fairy-tale characters that I would have wanted as friends if they were real, haven't you?

• Calliope
    Calliope

i'd like to have the sermon-on-the-mount-jesus as a friend,

i'm not too sure about the knife-wielding-angry-judging-revelation-jesus though.

• Woodsman
    Woodsman

Which Jesus? Good question.

The JW Jesus would be a tough cookie to swallow.

Is there a different one. I think so. Who is he? I am exploring that.

Would I take him fishing? Not sure. I see him more as an enigma than a friend. Why am I even discussing him? Because he came into this world to save me? From who, God? Why was the God that created me so anxious to kill me?

It is hard to appreciate that Christ saved my life because I never felt like it was in danger. If he pulled me out of the path of a tractor trailer I guess I would be very grateful and certainly would invite him out fishing,

Is the Father a tractor trailer heading towards humanity? I never felt that way.

I liked the WTS because it was an escape. A bid daddy God was going to solve all our problems and make the world ok. Sounded good. Still sounds good.

Its the how its done part that I am not to sure about. Christians vary on the degree to which God judges humanity. I am less judgemental than many Christian portrayals of God. Jesus is God's agent. Although he is sent to save he is cognizant of the judgement and at one with God.

Jesus if he is who the Bible says would also have to be in agreement with what God has done in the past. This too would have to be a factor in any ficticious fishing trip.

I forgot the exact original post but I would say the WT jesus and I would not get along.

As for any other Jesus, that would depend on who he is. And given how the Bible is written coupled with an unfortunate lack of historical evidence it will be a challenge to find out.

• Star Moore
    Star Moore

When I said " the bad guys..." I meant real bad guys..not people that aren't christians. I do think there are real bad guys on the earth...

• Highlander
    Highlander

Only if he shaved his beard, wore only suits, worked as a window cleaner and preached 144 hours a month.

• scout575
    scout575

Honesty: You make my point for me. Just like the 'wicked Watchtower god' Jesus offers people a choice: Either they believe in him and do his bidding and so receive salvation, or they don't believe in him and don't do his bidding and so receive damnation. There is no difference between Jesus and the 'wicked Watchtower god'.

• Honesty
    Honesty
    Honesty: You make my point for me. Just like the 'wicked Watchtower god' Jesus offers people a choice: Either they believe in him and do his bidding and so receive salvation, or they don't believe in him and don't do his bidding and so receive damnation. There is no difference between Jesus and the 'wicked Watchtower god'.

We are damned from birth because of who we are. Jesus saves us from damnation if we let Him.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit