Would you want Jesus as a friend?

by scout575 58 Replies latest jw friends

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    IP_SEC: Any chance of you engaging with the questions I've raised?

Well I thought I did.

Nobody's perfect

I dont know how often I've been pissed and said something I wish I could take back. "God dang pharisees, I wish they'd burn in hell if they arent going to be nice" Ooops I prolly shouldnt have said that.

Now poor jesus has matthew following him around with a notepad writting down everything he says. Total bummer.

• minimus
    minimus

I'd hang with him. The only thing that probably would bug me is that he's just sooo perfect.

• Odrade
    Odrade

:::Now poor jesus has matthew following him around with a notepad writting down everything he says. Total bummer.
    ROTFLMAO!

• greendawn
    greendawn

Yes and I could ask him to explain to me some of the kingdom mysteries that have to date defied elucidation.

Ultimately the nations will have to be stricken at some time, that will be an act of mercy if they continue to be opposed to the culture of the spirit. However many things will have to happen before that point is reached.

• tetrapod.sapien
    tetrapod.sapien

ha ha ha!

and no i wouldn't want jesus as a friend.

TS

• scout575
    scout575

IP_SEC: Sorry for not making myself clear. I meant that many Christians like to portray Jesus as so different from the 'wicked Watchtower god' And yet when we look at the the overall picture that the Bible gives of Jesus, we find that just as with the 'wicked Watchtower god' sometimes Jesus comes over as 'nice' and sometimes he comes over as 'nasty.'

• Odrade
    Odrade

:::Ultimately the nations will have to be stricken at some time, that will be an act of mercy
    You're making a joke, right? This is pretty sick.

• Odrade
    Odrade

Scout, it's kind of like the conundrum of "Jehovah." Old Testament Jehovah was a real bastard, yet New Testament Jehovah is all "love." So which is it? Or is the description linked to the culture, the political climate of the time, and the specific writer, than it is on presentation of "fact?"
    I mean, if Paul had written the Gospels, do you think the stories about Jesus and the prostitutes, or Jesus and the Samaritan woman would have gotten any mention at all? I'm guessing that's a "no." It would have been vital to Paul that these stories NOT appear in the Gospels, since they would have undermined his "seen and not heard" policy for women in the congregation.
    Of course, the above scenario is made further unlikely because the Gospels were not really "gospel" until they were chosen by the church as such, over 300 years later.
    So, in examining the story of the bible, my personal opinion is that it is vital to examine the agenda of the writer(s). Taken as such, Jesus, as described in the Gospels, is someone I would be pleased to meet.

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC
    'wicked Watchtower god' sometimes Jesus comes over as 'nice' and sometimes he comes over as 'nasty.'

I got ya, was looking at if from the perspective of how I see jesus, not believing in the bible nor being a christian. So commenting from my perspective which views the gospel of John as the only probable historic gospel if one even exists.

I was basically dumping the whole NT except for GoJ.

Still I cant really see the comparison betwixt Yah and jesus. Indeed, if a person accepts rev and some of the letters jesus takes on a different persona than in the GoJ or even the other Gospels. But I'd still have to say he's not nearly as evil or legalistic as his daddy.

• scout575
    scout575

Odrade: Whilst there are of course many examples of 'Jehovah being a real bastard' in the OT there are many examples of his being supremely loving and kind. Similarly the dichotemy of good Jesus/ bad Jesus is to be seen clearly in the NT.

IP_SEC: That'll teach me not to make assumptions - I thought you were a born-again believer. Maybe one ot the reasons that Jehovah comes over to you as more harsh than Jesus is that the OT is so much longer than the NT, and that there is therefore more scope for Jehovah to be 'nasty'.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit