Would you want Jesus as a friend?

by scout575 58 Replies latest jw friends

• scout575
    scout575

Whilst Christians like to portray Jesus as the supreme example of love and mercy ( as opposed to a supposedly wicked 'Watchtower god' ), does the Bible's presentation of Jesus cast him in quite the same flattering light that Christians like to believe? For instance, at Revelation 19:15 Jesus is described as 'smiting the nations and ruling them with a rod of iron and treading the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.' Does Jesus sound just as bad as the 'wicked Watchtower god'? Would you want Jesus as a friend?

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Absolutely!! I think the jesus of the gospels is a wonderful person.

• lucifer
    lucifer

If he really existed? Yes I sure would

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

Certainly ... especially if we were attending a wedding reception.

Rub a Dub

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

I see in the jesus story the person I would hope to be.

Fearless, kind, humble, generous, compasionate, empathetic. I also think he is the type of person you could visit with and he wouldnt always be badgering you about his daddy. Wouldnt be all "Damnation this and that."

• scout575
    scout575

IP_SEC: Is the Jesus of the gospels really as wonderful as you like to think? At Matthew 25:41 he says to those who don't do his bidding: "Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the Devil and his angels." Doesn't he sound alot like the 'wicked Watchtower god' here too?

• IP_SEC
    IP_SEC

Nobody is perfect, even geniuses get a little full of themselves sometimes.

• Odrade
    Odrade

Earth Jesus, sure, but I think we'd have to have a couple of talks about NOT picking Paul to be one of his priest-king buddies and the father of church misogyny...

• scout575
    scout575

IP_SEC: Any chance of you engaging with the questions I've raised?

• Odrade
    Odrade

scout, I think he did. And why so antagonistic? Are we to believe this is the sum and total of YOUR personality?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit