Flood/Bristlecone Pine: For bible believers: please answer

by skyman 50 Replies latest jw friends

• RodentBoy
    RodentBoy

For whatever reason, some folks take the time to debunk the garbage that guys like Woodmorappe pump out, and yet, in classic pseudo-scientific style, people still act as if he and his ilk have anything meaningful to say.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/woodmorappe-geochronology.html

• RodentBoy
    RodentBoy

M.J. wrote:

But you bring up an interesting question about no pre-flood rain. Is that necessarily stated in the Bible, or is it just a WTS interpretation? If water existed on the earth then it had to exist in the atmosphere...which had to circulate and move because of localized heating from the sun...which would lead to a cycle of evaporation and condensation--and rain.

The fact is that any quantity of water in the atmosphere sufficient to cover the highest mountains would produce atmospheric pressure at the surface so extraordinary that life as we know it on land could not have survived.

All the attempts by Flood advocates to get over the impossibilities of the story end up being most obviously nonsensical explanations. I've heard some claim the mountains were smaller, or didn't exist at all, but of course that flies in the face of geology. Some like to claim that the Flood was responsible for continental drift, but of course, that amount of energy released even within a few centuries or millennia would be so great that it would turn the surface of the planet molten. But nothing stops them, and no amount of cold water will have get it through their heads that the Global Deluge stories found in the Middle East simply could not have happened, save perhaps in the ultimate Omphalistic claim that God did it and hid the evidence. But of course, the last thing they want to do is to admit that the only way it could have happened was through magic.

• LDH
    LDH

Of course, only ONE family controlled the Media during the flood.

Noah's family.

"and earlier this evening, only 8 humans lived through the worst catastrophe known to man, and they just happen to be related to me. Signing off, this is Noah. We'll see you at 11 o'clock for all of the updates."

Lisa

Dirty Laundry Class

• gumby
    gumby
    Whups, did the WTS leave you an impression that Noah was preachin house to house about what was gonna happen? God never did tell Noah to go tell anyone that he was gonna wipe 'em out. He just picked Noah and his family to survive. Genesis 6:18: "But I will establish my covenant with you, and you will enter the ark—you and your sons and your wife and your sons' wives with you." Matt 24:39: "and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away."

M.J.

I gave the point of view from what witnesses claim, not my personal opinion. You'll also find that witnesses are not alone in the idea that Noah was a "preacher of rightousness". They too claim Noah preached a message of doom to mankind before the flood came. Jesus said..."they took no note" and the flood came and wiped them out. What do you suppose "they took no note" of? If someone didn't tell them a deluge was coming.....what were they supposed to take "note of"?

As for there being no rain BEFORE the flood.....see Leolaia's post.

Gumby

But you bring up an interesting question about no pre-flood rain. Is that necessarily stated in the Bible, or is it just a WTS interpretation? If water existed on the earth then it had to exist in the atmosphere...which had to circulate and move because of localized heating from the sun...which would lead to a cycle of evaporation and condensation--and rain.

• M.J.
    M.J.

Gumby,

Thanks for the heads up on the JW argument on this one.

• SeymourButts
    SeymourButts

To the traditionalist, the issue can be seen as nothing more than: "Modern science is taking away my god and (often) my immortality, and I cannot and will not accept this". Therefore, they say, "I must find evidence to show that science is wrong in those areas bearing on my religion. To the extent that I fail to do that, I must suppress science. Finally, if I cannot do either of these things, I may need to become militant to preserve what I believe I need in order to carry on with my life." We find evidence for this reaction here, in the forum as well as across the entire world. Only recently have the philosophical implications of science become well known to enough people in all major cultures for the leaders of these cultures to realize what is at stake. (excerpted from Free Inquiry feb/march, 2006)

• hooberus
    hooberus
    Therefore, they say,
    "I must find evidence to show that science is wrong in those areas bearing on my religion. To the extent that I fail to do that, I must suppress science. Finally, if I cannot do either of these things, I may need to become militant to preserve what I believe I need in order to carry on with my life."

We find evidence for this reaction here, in the forum as well as across the entire world. Only recently have the philosophical implications of science become well known to enough people in all major cultures for the leaders of these cultures to realize what is at stake.

Your above comments could possibly apply to some of the materialists here as well.

• moshe
    moshe

Here we go again. I did check your link ,Hoob- about the extinction events vs creation, that you gave me as an answer to my extinction arguements. I would prefer a man be able to study a subject and then give an understandable answer on the topic. Anyway, this man's science is very skewed. I especially laughed about his Bibilical explanation of how woolly mammoths and the ice age don't contadict the story of Noah's flood. http://www.answersingenesis.org/creation/v22/i2/mammoth.asp What a lame answer!

This rogue scientist, Johnathan Sarfati could be a copywriter for the WT and Awake magazines. Only people who lack the mental power to understand how the scientific process works could accept his explanations. He uses the same strawman techniques so skillfully wielded by the Governing Body to control the minds of Jehovah's Witnesses. This one-sided strawman arguement does not fool me anymore. I learned to see through that trick already.

I'm done with this subject.

peace,

Moshe

• M.J.
    M.J.

if anyone's still hanging around.

What about the glaciers that carved out the earth like Puget Sound, etc. I'm sure there's pretty ample evidence that it took place quite a long time ago, isn't there?

• hooberus
    hooberus
    I would prefer a man be able to study a subject and then give an understandable answer on the topic.

Really Moshe?- So then perhaps you should also do the above-rather than post replies as you did above.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit