Flood/Bristlecone Pine: For bible believers: please answer

by skyman 50 Replies latest jw friends

• Legolas
    Legolas
    Please stop confusing the Truth with facts and let JW's get on with their fiction.

• gumby
    gumby
    Do you think anyone other than Noah's family survived?

If you believe the bible, then you MUST believe Noah and his kin were lone human survivors as the bible specifically says they ALONE survived.

Image....it NEVER rained before and that you'd never heard of rain before... and imagine some long gray bearded man comimg by your house and telling you god was going to drown everyone soon. Would you believe him? WHY would/should you believe him? If a man did something similar today.....would you believe him?

The question is.....if all these people that god killed honestly believed the message they heard was NOT from god but rather from some crazy bastard......then WHY would god kill them all for following their heart?

Gumby

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Hey Blondie, has the Watchtower ever commented on the age of the pyramids? They also date to before the flood. But of course, that's based on secular history, not the oh-so-reliable Bible chronology.

I have a wrist-bible-chronograph and it's ALWAYS right. (Once you understand the many problems with atomic clocks and other secular time-keeping devices)

Dave

• skyman
    skyman

My partner in business has the 2003 creationism book and tape. he had to admit that the book is not accurate because we live close to Missoula MT. He has researched the lake that broke and caused all the neat land forms down to the Colombia river. The book claims it happen only once at the flood but the facts are we have at three distinct mud layers that prove it happened over and over again. Plus he is also smart enough that if it did happen during the flood then all the land features would have been filed in by the sediment of the flood and you would not see the land features. But yet he still believes but does not agree with most of the books claim.

• blondie
    blondie

AA, the WTS is "sensitive" about pyramids since until 1928 they based their chronology on the steps and lengths. Below is the only comment on the age.

w56 5/15 p. 297 The Great Pyramid of Giza ***

The date that Herodotus gives for its building would make the Great Pyramid about three thousand years old today, but others insist that he is mistaken and that it was built about four thousand years ago.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    DannyBloem: Hooberus, this is the only thing I see, something that I need to order.

Danny,

You don't need to order it. PM your telephone number to me and I will call you. You can stay on while I spend a couple of hours saying profound things like, "Blah-blah-blahbetty-blah blah-blah blah, blahbetty blah." Or you could hang up after the first couple of minutes.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• M.J.
    M.J.
    Image....it NEVER rained before and that you'd never heard of rain before... and imagine some long gray bearded man comimg by your house and telling you god was going to drown everyone soon. Would you believe him? WHY would/should you believe him? If a man did something similar today.....would you believe him?

Whups, did the WTS leave you an impression that Noah was preachin house to house about what was gonna happen? God never did tell Noah to go tell anyone that he was gonna wipe 'em out. He just picked Noah and his family to survive. Genesis 6:18: "But I will establish my covenant with you, and you will enter the ark—you and your sons and your wife and your sons' wives with you." Matt 24:39: "and they knew nothing about what would happen until the flood came and took them all away."

But you bring up an interesting question about no pre-flood rain. Is that necessarily stated in the Bible, or is it just a WTS interpretation? If water existed on the earth then it had to exist in the atmosphere...which had to circulate and move because of localized heating from the sun...which would lead to a cycle of evaporation and condensation--and rain.

• JeffT
    JeffT

I have a five volume encyclopedia of the Bible (Published by Zondervan) that was written by a number of scholars from different churches. This says quite flatly that the flood was a large, but local event. It also offers good evidence that the count of generations in Genesis doesn't mean in Hebrew what it looks like in English. It puts the events as far back as 100,000 years.

Of course these people have all that false stuff you get in your head when you earn a PhD instead of studying the Awake.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia
    The date that Herodotus gives for its building would make the Great Pyramid about three thousand years old today, but others insist that he is mistaken and that it was built about four thousand years ago.

Four thousand years would put it right into the age of Abraham, which is what the Society originally claimed as well (i.e. claiming that it was built by Melchizedek). Three thousand years ago would be c. 1000 BC, i.e. built during the time of King David, which I believe is contrary to what the Society has elsewhere claimed, e.g.

*** it-1 p. 158 Architecture ***

Later, during his stay in Egypt (Ge 12:10), Abraham may have witnessed some of the architectural splendors of that land. The Step Pyramid of King Djoser at Saqqara is supposed to date from the third millennium B.C.E. and is one of the earliest examples remaining of major constructions using cut stone.

Another article even deigned to give a date for the pyramid of Chephren:

*** g02 6/22 p. 18 Tall Buildings Still Going Up in Asia ***

2500 B.C.E. Pyramid of Khafre, Giza, Egypt

Of course, that is before their date for Noah's Flood in 2370 BC.

• Leolaia
    Leolaia

The Zondervan work is more a work by conservative/evangelical scholars, and likely has an aim of harmonizing the Bible with modern science (hence, the "Old Earth" approach to creation), rather than assessing whether such a possibility (like a hundred omitted generational links in the genealogies of Genesis) is a probable explanation of the text (IMHO).

Is that necessarily stated in the Bible, or is it just a WTS interpretation?

The Yahwist creation account in Genesis 2:5 states that "Yahweh God had not sent rain on the earth", but bear in mind that this passage depicts the time before the creation of plants (v. 5), man (v. 7), and animals (v. 19-20). Creationists who claim a "water canopy" interpretation of Genesis combine this Yahwist account (following the lead of the Redactor) with the unrelated Priestly account in ch. 1 (along with the poetic source of ch. 1 in Psalm 104), which describes the creation of the firmament in 1:6-8, dividing the terrestial waters from the heavenly waters. For the Priestly author, the heavenly waters were a source of the water for the Flood, and only when combined with Yahwist account could a claim be made that it did not rain before the Flood.

BTW, the creationist claim (on the basis of the Vail water canopy model) that earth's climate was uniformily warm and tropical before the Flood is belied by the wording in Genesis 8:22, which implies that the Flood interrepted the rhythm of "cold and heat, summer and winter".

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit