Question for JWs still on the "inside":

by Hellrider 64 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Hellrider
    Hellrider

Just a question: If you are still JWs (for any reason, many just can`t leave because their entire families are wrapped around it, etc), but don`t believe in it, and lead a "double life", how do you cope with going door to door? I just can`t imagine how it must feel like to go out there and try to tell people at the doors or in the streets things you know are just BS! How do you deal with that? Don`t you feel like...hypocrites? (and I don`t mean to offend anyone with that question, hope you don`t take it that way). I know door to door-witnessing won`t cause problems to often, because, fortunately, most people have the sense to tell you shove it and get lost, but then occasionally (once a year? lol), there`s this little old lady that will invite you in, even serve you coffe and biscuits, and listen carefully to what you have to say. And then, what do you do? You can`t exactly lean over to her, while your witnessing friend is out witnessing to the little old ladys toilet without lifting the ring out and then witnessing all over the floor, and then whisper in her ear that "look lady, you know, all this stuff I`m telling you, it`s all BS, don`t listen to a word I`m saying, I`m just full of shit, long story, don`t ask"...can you? What I`m asking, is: How on earth do you deal with this? If succesful (even though reluctantly) in your "witnessing", then you will be dragging some innocent, naive victim into this crap religion, that might have serious consequenses for, in a worst-case-scenario, this persons entire family, consequenses of life and death, shitty upbringings (if this person you have recently converted is young, and eventually marries and has kids), etc. So: How do you deal with this?

(again, I`m not trying to offend anyone. It`s just a question, I`m curious)

• Trojan
    Trojan

Difficult hellrider! I can tell you: very difficult. But then, you should be at MY bible studies.....i can be quite creative....believe me, there isn't a lot that will harm. Like the study I have with a teenager....I teach him the right things...(hey, I go alone to those studies)....like what career to choose, etc. You can much likely wrap it up as "small-talk", like hangind around with good friends...once in a while people only wan't somebody to hear they're woes and then I agree to all of what they've said and leave. I either take the "right" partner with me...or go alone....then you reduce that to one or most three times in the field...that's it!

This is the simple answer. The truth? You guessed it right: it feels awful!

Even more difficult it's if you're an elder and have to do the double whacker thing....Don't even ask me about that one.

• DaCheech
    DaCheech

I preach the "bare truth". I just give mags, and don't return. I just go through the motions without the will to do a bible study. the last study I had was 10 years ago.

I roll my eyes many times during the meetings, and the holy crappers' answers.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I switched congregations 3 times in 2 years. Each time, the expections diminish.

When the pressure to do more gets on my nerves, I "disappear" for a month. I think I have the elders now trained so that when we are on the list to do a sheparding call, I won't be seen at the KH for 4 - 6 weeks.

Rub a Dub

• Collegegurl
    Collegegurl

It is tough. I usually go to the door by myself. I knock lightly and pray that no one comes and leave quickly. If they do come I just leave the magazines with a very very brief presentation and never return.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

how do you cope with going door to door? I just sell place magazines - that is how I cope

• Hellrider
    Hellrider
    It is tough. I usually go to the door by myself. I knock lightly and pray that no one comes and leave quickly. If they do come I just leave the magazines with a very very brief presentation and never return.

That sounds so horrible. Kind of like when I was a kid and had to go out with my supertheocratic mother. I also used to hope that there wouldn`t be anyone home. I feel sorry for you.

• katiekitten
    katiekitten

your answers are really honest, and brave.

I have this recurring dream that I am out on field service (I have been left 8 years), and im trying to tell someone that I dont believe it anymore so I shouldnt go out, but they wont believe me, and so I have to go out. In my dream im doing exactly what you describe, knocking lightly, praying no-one will answer, then if they do, just placing the magazines with no intention of following up.

But truly, it IS a nightmare!

• daniel-p
    daniel-p

I stopped going out in service about 3 months ago. At first, I was all worried that the elders would be all up ons. But now I don't really much care. Nice to have my Saturday mornings relaxing and allowing other people out there to relax as well without peddling the latest Pulp Religion Monthly.

• Severus
    Severus

Very easy. First I don't actually go that much. Just enough service to catch the elder's attention.

Actually I purposely work with the Service and Book Study overseers enough that they don't notice my hours are inflated.

When I get to the door I simply say:

"Hi, I'm one of Jehovah's Witnesses..."

That usually ends the conversation right there. If it continues, I ask:

"Is there ever anything you wanted to ask a JW?"

"Do you ever wonder why we come to your door?"

or the like, basically a viewpoint question that gets away from pushing books.

This is also my grass-root gauge to find out what the average person knows about JWs (not much).

Sedition in the field...

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit