ITHINKISEE Update: Hijacking our publisher record cards=SUCCESS!

by ithinkisee 72 Replies latest members private

• uninformed
    uninformed

Freedomlover,

Your dad sounds like my twin brother. Let me know if I can help.

Uninformed

• Rabbit
    Rabbit

Uninformed,

Welcome to the forum. I've enjoyed almost all of your posts, but, as they number less than 20...and you are a 'newbie' I have to say your joke about being a troll just didn't strike me as funny. I know as a 'new guy' you may not realize just how seriously something like that can be taken.

The other thing that to me doesn't seem 'right' is that you're asking for people's personal info & addresses. You've asked that a publishers cards -- be sent to you. You aren't known here yet. As helpful and enthusiastic as a new person is...usually people here are careful or should be about fully trusting someone they only know from reading their pixels on a monitor.

One thing that helps me is having met quite a few ex-dubs in person, after talking to them over a long period of time. You just need some more experience here.

Please realize, I am not trying to cast any shadows on you, I've really enjoyed your posts and look forward to reading your thoughts for a long time. Btw, I 'lurked' for about 5 - 6 months just like you, before having the nerve to finally post.

Again, Welcome to the board ! I am glad you've taken the first steps to eventually get out of the WT completely. Good for you !

Sincerely, Rabbit

• Smiles
    Smiles

If a publisher indicates they are moving to a new congregation and requests their records to be transferred, they are acknowledging the congregation's ownership of the records and its authority to handle the records. Therefore, the publisher subjecting themselves to this process is still representing themselves as one of Jehovah's Witnesses. Also, some congregation secretaries, responsible for the transfer, are known to verify the mailing address of the publisher's new congregation. The scheme could possibly work. However, the WT is aware of this possibility because it has been tried before. Providing an unofficial mailing address for the publisher records transfer is risky spiritually and legally. Really the best way to leave the WT organization is to just walk away.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    If a publisher indicates they are moving to a new congregation and requests their records to be transferred...

In this case, the publishers did not request the records to be transferred, they arranged for notice to be given of the address they could be sent to. Therefore, ownership of the records was not acknowledged. And since the attempt was to intercept records that were obtained and maintained under fraudulent pretenses to begin with, I don't see how they would be in any legal trouble.

...is risky spiritually and legally...

I personally know it isn't the first and highly suspect it isn't the latter.

Really the best way to leave the WT organization is to just walk away.

"Best way" for whom? You write as though you are still an elder. What is the worst possible thing you know of that could happen as a result? Disfellowshipping? An inconvenience and a tragedy for the family that suffers it, a blight on the Society's reputation and public relations, but if someone is leaving they have contemplated that possibility already. The worst that they could do is already not enough deterrent to prevent them leaving.

Are you suggesting they might press charges? Oh, the media would have a field day with that one. No, I think it is worth the risk on every occasion of fading. If it doesn't work you get kicked out of the org at the worst—a possible eventual scenario in any case, if you don't have your cards. On the other hand, if it does work you are free with barely a bruise.

What is the spiritual risk you spoke of? What is the legal risk?

Curiously,
    AuldSoul

• XBEHERE
    XBEHERE
    Perhaps I am wrong - but in the cong I was part of, the old record cards from previous years stayed in the back of the file. When someone moved the only card that was sent was the latest one - and perhaps one older one if the latest one has just been started and there is not enough record there to establish service 'patterns'. Could be you left a trail in the old cards. Anyone know if this proceedure has changed?

Generally Secretaries are told to send the past 4 yrs, or 2 cards, for each publisher in the family. If the secretaries in all of your prvevious congregations are pack-rats then there likely are still cards with your names on them out there. The general rule of thumb is to keep the recent 4 yrs worth of cards and destroy older ones unless the person is inactive then they are kept indefinitely.

As far as the secretaries making up new cards for you... I hardly think they will bother. On an unrelated topic, I heard a rumor that the WTS is planning to switch to reporting congregation ministry reports online. I give them credit for at least trying to keep up with the times.

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

Auld Soul -

"Best way" for whom?

thank you Auld Soul for your defending us.

I am a little perturbed at some of the comments here about how it's *best* for US to handle OUR situation. Thanks for you inputs and all but come on now.....don't you think we went through EVERY scenario about how to handle our exit?! This is the way we have chosen to handle it.

-freedomlover

• jojochan
    jojochan

WOW! That gives me such a great idea. I see light, I see light!

jojochan, the prisoner.

• uninformed
    uninformed

Rabbit,

Thank you for your thoughts regarding my attempt at humor. I'm sorry that it hit you wrong. I will watch more carefully in the future. I did join the board though for two reasons, first to have a little fun, and although I am almost 60 I have always been fairly playful, though usually within appropriate limits. Second, I've been very impressed with the depth of knowledge that I see displayed on this and one other site that I decided to join. I miss the association of brothers, and for years had almost no opportunity for spiritual discussions, even though I was an elder, people in the congregation just don't generally study the Bible enough for lively spiritual discussion.

When I told Lo-ru-ha-ma to send me her address, I guess it would appear quite forward, and I will refrain from doing that. I have known her for decades personally though and she is the one that pointed me to this site. She is my daughter. We were just fooling around with what we thought was a funny subject and situation.

I have met with the elders at least four times over my dissatisfaction with the Organization re: the UN ordeal. I have written three letters to HQ and I have walked out the FRONT door. For me and LRHA we would not consider sneaking out the back. But, this org has a choke hold on a lot of people with a lot of different personalities and probably some just can't face the elders, (I cancelled an elders meeting this week with me as I just wasn't up to it), and need to get away with as little a ripple as possible.

I wish I had the strength of character to go picket the HQ like some of the pictures I've seen on the thread "What does an Apostate Look Like".

But--Thanks for the welcome, and I will try harder to learn the ways. I will confess one thing though, I don't think I will ever really trust someone that I haven't met and talked to personally, no matter how many posts I admire, or how long they have been here. Seems it would be a good place for some jerk to plant himself here for a long time and do untold harm to trusting people.

That being said, I have a long list of people that I already admire.

Thanks again. I appreciate your concern. I really do need to learn the turf.

• KW13
    KW13

HA, this is fantastic.

Well done and i am happy you got the cards back

• TheListener
    TheListener

congratulations ITIS and FF!!

My hat is off to you. OK, I'm not really wearing a hat, but if I was it would definitely be off right now!

For some others: I enjoy reading opinions but you know what they say - opinions are like as^$##&es, everyone has them and most of them stink.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit