Guess I'm Going to the K. Hall on Saturday

by bavman 55 Replies latest members private

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

may we remind you of the Bibles counsel at 1 Corintians 5:11. Thank You!

I dont get it. It has to be different rules, for every congregation. I was invited to eat after my grandpa died. (of course I didnt want to go eat with all of them anyway, so I didnt)

• stillAwitness
    stillAwitness

I Corinthisn 5:11 But now I am writing YOU to quit mixing in company with anyone called a brother that is a fornicator or a greedy person or an idolater or a reviler or a drunkard or an extortioner, not even eating with such a man

Uh huh.. "not even eating with such a man' huh? I wonder why Jesus didn't take this litteral when he ate with the tax collectors? Hmmmm

• KW13
    KW13

i am sorry for your loss.

BTW go to the meal, its your family too and despite whatever it says in that scripture your not a Witness and you shouldn't be pressured to do what they say or want you to do.

• ButtLight
    ButtLight

So, if you are dfed, and no longer called a BROTHER, that scripture doesnt apply to you anymore right?

• TooOpinionated
    TooOpinionated

I'm so sorry for your grandmother's passing. A witness funeral makes it even worse.

Back when we started not attending meetings but still believed, we went to the funeral of a prominent elder who was like a second dad to my husband. He had a DF daughter living in Florida, and made the trip from Florida to Wisconsin for the funeral. I was appalled at how all the dubs could look at this heavily grieving woman and just look the other way, knowing she had just lost her dad. There was a constant space around her, even though there were about 600 people attending. I'm ashamed that I never noticed how wrong the treatment was before, but that day it struck me that it was cruel. Anyway, at the meal, someone asked her brother about her, and he said she was sitting home waiting for everyone (this was 3 hours later), and he just shrugged his shoulders and said that she knew ahead of time how it was going to be. Alarm bells were ringing all over the place, and it was almost surreal how I was looking at all these people I knew so well in new light (no pun intended). I still use that funeral as the time I realized that I was on the outside looking in, so to speak. I could never reconcile to being a docile dub again.

I honestly don't think I could step inside a KH again for any reason whatsoever. I give you alot of credit.

• joelbear
    joelbear

also sorry to hear of your loss

do you think they ever stop to think that maybe eternal life just isnt worth all this bs.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

Sorry about your loss.

So, if you are dfed, and no longer called a BROTHER, that scripture doesnt apply to you anymore right?

I have to say I agree with this, and they're putting all the power into your hands. They can't eat with the DFed, but you can eat with whomever you want! However, try to do what's right for you and all the other ex/non-jws.

When my mother dies, I'll be planning a separate gathering from the one at the KH. Nobody needs to be lulled asleep by remembering the Watchtower's doctrine rather than the deceased's life.

• MidwichCuckoo
    MidwichCuckoo

Bavman - so sorry for your loss. But hearing via an email? That is crazy - and cold. Do you read your emails regularly, or was your Mum hoping you wouldn't see it till 'after'? (sorry for cynicism).

• xjwms
    xjwms

Greg

Condolences on your grandmothers passing.

When we had lunch on Sunday, and you told me about this, I am sorry I did'nt say that then. Sorry for your loss.

I would make it known to "some" of the non-jw family that you are not invited to the lunch afterwords. Arrange a meal close to where they are going to be, and, you and your sister plan a small arrangement.

Everytime WE shared a meal together, .. I had a good time.

I hope your saturday goes well.

• atypical
    atypical

Sorry to hear about your loss. It's too bad that this bs has to be thrown into the mix; grieving is hard enough by itself.

Personally, I would go to the meal. Like some of the others said, the counsel is for them, not you. Having an entire group of the immediate family there being shunned might actually wake a couple people up to what they are doing.

But aside from that, you should do what you need to do - even if it conflicts with the jw tradition.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit