Disturbing paragraph in Dec 15, 2005 Watchtower

by yaddayadda 43 Replies latest watchtower bible

• oldflame
    oldflame

Isn't it funny that when you say something condescending about the JW religion we are accused of judging them but yet they seem it to be fit to condemn others. Does not the scriptures say Do not judge for you will be judged in that same judgement ? How hypocritical is that ?

• The Leological One
    The Leological One
    Yep, I can't wait to joyfully praise God for slaughtering 99.9% of the earth's population. What a great solution to all the world's woes. That will definitely prove that Satan was evil and God was love.

Good point.

• IronClaw
    IronClaw

• Rebel8 here's one from the Revelation book pg 284Image hosting by TinyPic
  • sf
    sf

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the JW religion considered a 'sect'? Thusly, 'secular'?

sKally

• rocketman
    rocketman

Skally, the words secular and sect are defined as follows: Sect:

1. A group of people forming a distinct unit within a larger group by virtue of certain refinements or distinctions of belief or practice.
    2. A religious body, especially one that has separated from a larger denomination.
    3. A faction united by common interests or beliefs

Secular:

1. Worldly rather than spiritual.
    2. Not specifically relating to religion or to a religious body: secular music.
    3. Relating to or advocating secularism.
    4. Not bound by monastic restrictions, especially not belonging to a religious order. Used of the clergy.
    5. Occurring or observed once in an age or century.
    6. Lasting from century to century.

n.

1. A member of the secular clergy.
    2. A layperson.

The context of the article quoted at the outset seems to imply that the Watchtower is using the term "secular" according to defintions 1-3, rather than in the sense of the noun. Hence, Jehovah, the big Killer in the sky, pronounces lights out on religions and their supporters first (thanks to Blondie for her clarifying research) and then on the non-religious or "secular" part of mankind. That's my take on it anyway.

Good points also by Gumby and Dan.

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    "Praise Jah, you people, because Jehovah our God, the Almighty, has begun to rule as king."

Is this new light? Are they dropping the whole 1914 thing?

Last I heard Jesus was supposed to have come into power in 1914, now they are saying he will come into power after Armageddon.

What's up? Will Jesus come twice?

• greendawn
    greendawn

If Jesus came to power over this world it certainly hasn't shown anywhere in nearly a century since 1914, it is nothing but a fairy tale. The world goes on the same as ever and He is still to come.

• Woodsman
    Woodsman

What cracks me up is the Criteria for being saved.They actually belive it is their doctrine that gives them the right to live and condemns others.

It isn't their behaviour. When I was a JW I would observe how many non JWs actually were actually better Christians than most JWs I knew.

Notice the WT quoted states it is practicers of False religion that are killed. It is a doctrinal difference. Yet even the WTS admits they have been wrong by the fact that they make changes, so why can't anybody else be wrong?

Why can't Baptists be allowed to gain "new light"? Never had that one answered.

JWs also think that their pathetic ministry is sufficient to judge the whole world by. HA HA.

Most people don't even know who they are. And if you did meet one do they really give a witness adequate enough to judge a person for life or death? I don't think so.

Most people in the world who know of Jesus Christ and the Bible did not learn it from a JW. What does that tell you?

Ultimately I failed to see any reason why a God would save them and kill everyone else. It became so ridiculous an idea to me I had to leave.

• Forscher
    Forscher

I think it was blondie who noted that CTR taught that it would be the institutions that would be destroyed, rather than the people, at armageddon. I've been doing some research on what CTR taught and she is right as far as I know. CTR tried to harmonize all the prophecles of doom and gloom with his understanding of God being a god of love. Remember, one of the things that caused him to reject the mainline teachings in the first place was that he couldn't accept the teaching that a God, who personified love, would delight in torturing people forever in a lake of fire. That was logically inconsistent as far as he was concerned. So, he came to the conclusion that it was human society and its institutions which would suffer destruction at Armageddon, which he saw as a time period, rather than a literal battle as Rutherford would later teach.
    Rutherford had his own agenda for changing that. During the first ten years of his presidency of the WTBTS, right at three-fourths of the Bible Students severed their association with him and the WTBTS. He never forgave them that and taught that they were going to be consigned to eternal death for having the stones to leave him. His vengeful streak also extended to the rest of the world since they wouldn't flock to his banner, so he consigned them all to destruction at Armageddon and eternal death as well. He was a real piece of work!
    Forscher

• DaveNwisconsin
    DaveNwisconsin

So tell me why don't JW's think about this one? It doesn't make any sense. If Jehovah is love, how can Jehovah condem someone to death for not being able to Follow witness tradition? It makes me nuts!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit