Please help! I have NO idea what to do with this!

by Elsewhere 35 Replies latest jw friends

• undercover
    undercover

You're supposed to set your own goals, am I understanding that right?

• Professional Excellence Goals - Weighting = 60%
  • People Goals - Weighting = 20%
  • Quality Growth Goals - Weighting = 20%
  • Professional Excellence: Tackling each task assigned with vigorous energy determined to accomplish tasks with expert knowledge and well within realistic deadlines. I want each assignement accomplished to reflect the professionalism and expertise used to create the end product.

People Goals: Striving to work closely with any and all in the department(s) related to same professional goals. Work to minimize instances of conflict and disagreement but when they arise strive to handle them in a professional and fair manner

Quality Growth Goals: Striving to retain knowledge gained through the various tasks and accomplishments that my department undertakes, applying the knowledge in any and all future projects, improving the end product and the processes used.

If ya can't dazzle em with brilliance, baffle em with bullshit.

• BizzyBee
    BizzyBee

Measurable=quantifiable. Put a number value on it. "Increase XYZ by 25%." "Decrease ABC by 10%." Arrowstar is on it!

• Naturist
    Naturist

Hi,

This is a fun one. I was a Software Line Manager for 5 years, and the truth is that I didn't know what these things meant either :^)

What you should do depends... I guess the most important thing to decide is what do you want to get out of the review. The real point of these meetings is to ensure that you and your boss set aside at least 15 minutes a year to talk about you.

The main thing I remember from all that Management training I did, was that if there was a major disconnect between you and a member of staff at the performance review, then there is something wrong. Assuming that you talk to your boss and your boss talks to you, then you should know what he thinks about you. He should also have a good idea of what you want from the job moving forward.

If you're reading this and you are thinking "I don't know what my boss thinks of me" or "I don't know where I want to be in a years time", then the only thing I can suggest is that you go out and buy yourself one of those self help books. You know the type: "Learn How to Manage your Boss in 14 days".

There is a code to the questions in these forms only known to HR personnel. I know a bit, but my real advice would be to start talking to your boss informally. At the coffee machine, or during the working day. Start now. Even asking him if you can have a word, is better than leaving everything to the review. You could even send an e-mail in preparation highlighting the things you would like to discuss. As for the meeting itself, ignore the coded questions and write down what you want, where you want to go, what skills you feel you need, opportunities you see to gain them and possible training. Ignore the form if you want and come in with your own agenda and points on a bit of paper.

Bosses really like employees who know what they want. It makes their lives easier. After all they need to write something on the form too, and if you don't tell them what to write then they'll have to make something up themselves.

Inevitably, at some point your boss will insist on filling out the "HR form". get him to help you in the meeting. Translating what you've discussed into HR speak.

I hope this helps.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

• Professional Excellence Goals - Weighting = 60%

... use this to point out the courses that work will pay for this year; pick some stuff you know will be good for future employment.

• Soledad
    Soledad

That's an awesome assignment Else. It's a rare opportunity, so to speak, for you to brainstorm and think in the abstract for a while and then fine tuning those ideas until you find something that can apply directly to your everyday functions on the job.

I would start with something relatively minor and vague then work from there.

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Will you stop a minute and listen to me? We can do this together. I've done more of these than I care to remember.
    Take Arrowstar out to lunch and have a working session with her. Then take the best of what she suggests and incorporate that with the things other posters are telling you. Then write up the damn thing. Bub

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

Ok. Tomorrow I'm going to try one more time with my supervisor to figure out what to do with this. If I can't, I'm gonna give Lisa a call.

• arrowstar
    arrowstar
    Ok. Tomorrow I'm going to try one more time with my supervisor to figure out what to do with this. If I can't, I'm gonna give Lisa a call.

Well, it's about damn time. There is something about a stubborn man...

• observador
    observador

"It's not that hard when you put in the right buzz words."

Lisa, I couldn't possibly agree more with you!!!

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Well, it's about damn time. ; There is something about a stubborn man

Lisa, if you get a free lunch out of this, you owe me. Bug

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit