Please help! I have NO idea what to do with this!

by Elsewhere 35 Replies latest jw friends

• luna2
    luna2

I worked someplace once that required that you rate your performance and list things you think you could improve on. I always felt that if I truly did some soul-searching and answered their dumbass evaluation honestly, I would have been shooting myself in the foot. From my experience, it seems like when you are upfront and honest about weak areas, people (bosses) are more than willing to brand you with them.

Your thing sounds a bit more positively oriented, but I think you still have to be careful. Sounds like arrow has some experience with this junk and knows how to play it. Good to have access to people who know these things. LOL

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    But if you are nice and vague like "increase my effectiveness through quality."

That is what I normally do but there is a problem... I need to define "measurable" goals so that after six months my supervisor and I can sit down and check them off as having been accomplished.

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

Will you stop a minute and listen to me? We can do this together. I've done more of these than I care to remember.

• lonelysheep
    lonelysheep

OMG, I despise working on reviews.

How can you do your job better? Then write it out.

People stuff...Communication on projects/deadlines

Professional exc. ....How you can demonstrate how well you do each part of your job

Quality.....How your work can be perfect

I understand your frustration!

• jgnat
    jgnat

I help my supervisors with this all the time. My HR director gave the best advice. Instead of trying to fit yourself in to the form, write on a separate peice of paper what YOUR goals are, and then make the form fit for what you want to do. Use it as a tracking tool for your accomplishments. Don't worry about the percentages bit. That's only, I'm guessing, telling you the relative weight given to these three areas.

People in technical jobs forget about people skills all the time. This is where all the communication and teamwork stuff goes.

You know you want to make Senior Technician or whatever. What would be realistic for you to accomplish this year towards that goal?

And FINALLY, take a look at your company's vision and mission statement. Highlight the buzzwords. Make sure you use some in your performance plan.

I'd give two days for dreaming, clarifying your personal goals, and one day to write the darn thing up.

Don't stress about it. Your boss likely just wants the thing written so he can check it off on HIS performance plan.

• jgnat
    jgnat

A goal can be to take a course or read a book. Also, I don't allow my staff to ever put 100% in their performance plan. We don't work in a perfect world, don't set yourself up for failure.

• Tez
    Tez

I hate these things too, feels like you are back at school!!! But I am none the wiser having only produced one so far and was not really sure I got it right!! Let us know how you get on.

• daystar
    daystar

Else

I think these sorts of performance reviews is a new fad. My office started doing the exact same sort of thing a few years back and to this day, no one still seems to know how to do any of it. It's a wash.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Elsewhere:

Will you stop a minute and listen to me? We can do this together. I've done more of these than I care to remember.

Arrowstar's offer seems too good to pass up! I guess you'll be pm-ing her! Ian

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I just wrote a post on this (and got no responses)

http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/105889/1.ashx

I think I got it down pretty good, but would love some more suggestions. Basically, tell them what they want to hear without shooting yourself in the foot.

Here's the answers I have so far...

===========================================

JOB DESCRIPTION: Briefly identify the main tasks you were asked to perform during the review period

Becoming more involved in Hydro RTU testing
    Improving crate design
    Preparing documentation on connecting UPS batteries due to new Transport Canada regulations regarding the shipping of dangerous goods-
    Providing a neat and tidy exterior to reflect the upstanding image of the company

GOALS: Briefly explain, in your own words, what you think are (company)’s goals and how your role within the company contributes to achieving these goals

(company) aims to provide their customers with the solutions they need, and to support the products that they manufacture.My role in (company) is to provide the customer with working hardware, whether it be new or repaired. It is also my role to keep the best interests of the customer in mind when their hardware may be too expensive to repair, or their hardware may no longer be reliable after it has been damaged.

ASSESSMENT: What were your major contributions to the company and its team during the review period at the professional and/or personal levels

Learned and experienced the testing of Hydro RTU racks-
    Improved the design of our crates to prevent the damaging of shipped goods-
    Designed and built a cable tester for myself and other employees to use which provides fast, accurate testing of the reliability of new and used cables. Tester also provides verification of cable pin-outs, which prevents damage caused by incorrect cable usage.

How would you characterize the quality of your relationships with your co-workers

The relationship I have with my fellow co-workers is very good. I am willing to take their suggestions on projects that I’m working on, and I’m very patient with them if they happen to be tied up with other projects.

In your opinion, what strengths do you bring to your position and to the team?

I’m always looking for faster, more effective ways to test hardware. I also welcome the challenge of working on something that I have no previous experience working with.

Is there anything that helped or hindered you in performing your job within the past year? Is there anything you would like to see changed in your work environment?

One thing that has always helped, and I appreciate it very much, is always having the right tool for the job. This has never been a problem for me at (company).One improvement I would like to see in my work area is a piece of shelving to neatly put my testing units on. The way they’re currently stacked doesn’t promote a neat and tidy image for the company when a tour comes through, and my testers have also been damaged by insufficient storage.

Are there any areas where you believe you should improve your performance within the next year to better meet the requirements of your current position, or to cope with the changes that will be occurring within the company and your work environment? How can your supervisor and co-workers help you?

I would like to become better acquainted with other fellow co-workers that I normally don’t have a chance to interact with. I would also like to give more of a warm welcome to any new employees that join the (company) team in the future. This will not only help the new employees feel more comfortable at their new job, but it will strengthen my relationships with others in the company. It will also strengthen my communication skills when I get the occasional phone call for support.

In terms of professional development, what personal goals do you wish to achieve during the next year that would be as beneficial to you as they would be to (company)?

My biggest goal is to become more efficient, familiar, and independent with the hydro RTU operation and test procedures.

What steps will you be taking to reach your personal goals in terms of professional development (such as reading, conferences, observing, peer-to-peer learning, mentoring, courses, networking)? In other words, what methods will you be using to achieve your professional development goals?-

I’m always reading up on things that I’m not completely familiar with. This helps broaden my knowledge on the project I happen to be working on at the time.-
    Hands-on experience has always the best way for me to learn. I always enjoy becoming more experienced with a project by being involved in working on it.-
    I learn much from my peers who may have more (or different) experience working on a specific project

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit