Please help! I have NO idea what to do with this!

by Elsewhere 35 Replies latest jw friends

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

At work we are supposed to setup "goals" for a "performance review" later in the year. I *HATE* things like this because I don't understand what I'm supposed to put in the document. It is FAR too subjective with NO defined requirements that I can wrap my brain around. They tell me it does not matter what I put so long as it's some goals, but I know that could not possibly be true because what I write must be approved by my supervisor. If it does not matter what I put then why should it need to be approved? This tells me there ARE specific requirements these goals must meet but no one will tell me what they are or even how many goals are appropriate or how detailed they need to be. They tell me it does not matter so long as there are "enough" goals. How many are enough? No one will tell me and I have no idea! What I think is enough may not be the same as what my supervisor thinks is enough and what he thinks is enough may not be the same as what the company partner thinks is enough... but no one will say how many are enough and how many are too many?

Gawd I HATE subjective problems like this.

Here are some examples... there are three basic types of "goals" I need to put:

• Professional Excellence Goals - Weighting = 60%
    • People Goals - Weighting = 20%
    • Quality Growth Goals - Weighting = 20%
    What the hell is a "People Goal" ?????? What the hell does that mean???? No one seems to know. Same goes for "Professional Excellence Goals" and "Quality Growth Goals". What the hell does THAT mean? Should I put in a total of 10 "goals"? Six under "Professional Excellence Goals", two under "People goals" and two under "Quality Growth Goals"??? All I know is I do web site development using .Net C#. Someone who is good as this kind of stuff please help!!!
  • AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Nobody that has to do this stuff is any good at it, including me. The good side of that is that no one is likely to do better at it than you are.

Are you able to see any previous iterations of this that someone else did before you? Getting some real examples might be helpful.

People goals - work with your team, support their efforts, improve communication.

Professional goals - take classes, write "best practices" white papers based on your company's experience, involve yourself in a user group or conference

Quality - Encourage code reviews. Pursue automated testing technology. Use a consistent approach to problem solving.

Hope it helps!

(I have to write up my "objectives" for 2006 -- and I don't even know what I do here!!!)

Dave

What type of business are you in and what is your position? Also are you looking for advansment? Are you in a leadership position? If so, how many direct repoorts do you have?

With this info it would be easier to help.

• Frannie Banannie
    Frannie Banannie
    • Professional Excellence Goals - Weighting = 60%
    • People Goals - Weighting = 20%
    • Quality Growth Goals - Weighting = 20%

• Finding out what Professional Excellence Goals are - Weighting = 60%
    • Finding out what People Goals are - Weighting = 20%
    • Finding out what Quality Growth Goals are- Weighting = 20%
  • Dansk
    Dansk

Elsewhere:

Seems like there's a major communication problem in your place of work:

How many are enough? No one will tell me and I have no idea! What I think is enough may not be the same as what my supervisor thinks is enough and what he thinks is enough may not be the same as what the company partner thinks is enough... but no one will say how many are enough and how many are too many?

If no one is willing to say what the criteria is (because they probably don't know themselves) how on earth are you expected to know? If your bosses can't even tell you - or won't tell you - then they've got some serious management training to undertake!

Sheesh, it seems like they've set everyone a problem hoping that some bright spark will come up with solutions and then they can use this as part of their forward planning. In other words, they're taking direction from the staff rather than the other way round. Crazy!!

Ian

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    Are you able to see any previous iterations of this that someone else did before you? Getting some real examples might be helpful.

I wish this was possible but everyone's goals are confidential. On top of that, this is a new system that was just put into place. Normally I would do what you describe and look at previous documents to get a feel for what is expected and what is "normal".

What type of business are you in and what is your position?

Tax, audit and advisory.... BUT I write software for them and have no clue about taxes or finances. I write web pages and programs for them.

Also are you looking for advancement?

I want to be promoted from Developer to Senior Developer. In years to come maybe a management position.

Are you in a leadership position? If so, how many direct reports do you have?

No and None.

Thanks in advance!

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

Listen, this is an annual thing that is a pain in the backside. When is it due? Let's get together and I can help you write this appraisal.

It's not that hard when you put in the right buzz words.

Lisa

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere

It was originally due on Jan 13th but because the web site was overwhelmed and no one could get in the deadline was bumped back to Jan 31st.

I'd like to get his done as soon as possible so I will not go too far past the original deadline.

• IMustBreakAway
    IMustBreakAway

My only hint is try to keep them vauge. If you write increase performance by 100% and then in your review you haven't done that then you look like you're not meeting your goals. But if you are nice and vauge like "increase my effectiveness through quality." Then usually it is something that can't be confirmed. (i know it's BS but so is the whole program)

• arrowstar
    arrowstar

We can get done before the deadline.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit