Does your JW baptism still mean anything to you?

by JH 56 Replies latest jw friends

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I said this:

If you truly believe that you should be baptized, you need to get baptized in a religion that you believe in.

because if you believe in Jesus and when he said, "Get thee away from me because I never knew you." What good is it to get baptised in a religion that you feel that Jesus would condemn. The baptism would be meaningless. The things that you did did not bring honor to him. He, probably, "turned his face from you". Don't you think? Joining the witnesses is like committing spiritual suicide. I don't think that Jesus would condone that. Look at the joy that it has taken from our lives. It has made many question their belief in God. How could we think that baptism into this religion covers his sacrifice for our sins? We really made a vow to serve the Watchtower, not God or Jesus.

• John Doe
    John Doe

How can we think any baptism covers our sins?

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

Notice what else Jesus says about people who want to worship Him without obedience to God's commands: "And in vain they worship Me, teaching as doctrines the commandments of men. For laying aside the commandment of God, you hold the tradition of men. . . . All too well you reject the commandment of God, that you may keep your tradition" (Mark 7:7-9).

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket
    How can we think any baptism covers our sins?

When you believe that you're in the right religion, then you would, surely, believe that the baptism is valid. I've been baptized at least 3 times. My mother made sure that I got baptized. She is Pentecostal. So, she believes in God's grace. And as nutty and confused as I am now, I could use all the "grace" that I can get!

• Bumble Bee
    Bumble Bee

I'm not 100% sure at the moment.

When I was baptized as a JW, I don't think I understood just exactly what I was doing. I didn't realize that I was being baptized into an "organization". I really wish I was baptized pre '95, maybe I'd feel differently now. I got baptized because my parents were getting alitte embarassed that I was 17 and still unbaptized. When my younger brother stepped up and said he wanted to get baptized, my mom got the ball rolling for me to as well. Wouldn't look good ya know, your younger brother getting baptized before you.

I'm still trying to figure out where I belong, what I do now, so this question is still under consideration for now.

BB

• Highlander
    Highlander

I consider my baptism to the watchtower corp an embarassment.

It feels as though I signed my soul over to the devil.

In retrospect I shouldn't have done it.

• Evanescence
    Evanescence

The JW baptism is not valid according to the Catholic Church.

Evanescence

• John Doe
    John Doe

Ha ha. The Catholic baptism is not valid according to the JW church. ;-)

• jwfacts
    jwfacts

Of course not. I was baptised just after the change in 1985, so got baptised to an organisation that i am now actively opposed to. That is why I requested to have my baptism annulled.

• sass_my_frass
    sass_my_frass

I think I was baptised into life membership of a high-control book club, not into God or Jesus... however, I figure he's big enough to see where my heart is, if it means that much. If I'm doing something wrong by not going out and finding the right way to get baptised into the correct group, I don't want anything to do with the God who thinks so.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit