Does your JW baptism still mean anything to you?

by JH 56 Replies latest jw friends

• slugga
    slugga

Mine was about serving Jehovah, not the org. I always had issues with the org but kept them quiet. For me serving Jehovah wasn't just about Field service it was about being as good a bloke as I could. I might not stick to all the rules today but I still try to be a good bloke.

Matt

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas
    Mine was about serving Jehovah

Did Jehovah leave you a tip after you served him?

• slugga
    slugga
    Did Jehovah leave you a tip after you served him?

Yeah he said "never talk to aspostates or smart arses" <g>

Matt

• Lilycurly
    Lilycurly

Even when I got baptized it was more because I felt like I HAD too. It never really meant anything to me except the trauma to have to walk in front of thousands of people in a bathing suit (as a teenager, it`s a huge deal, lol, even when the bathing suit has a little skirt)

• John Doe
    John Doe

Yes. My babtism was the biggest factor preventing me from letting the religion go. I take any promise I make extrememly seriously, and it still bothers me that I made that one. However, I believe I've done the right thing. Basically, I came to the dichotomy of either being false to the things I'd learned and come to realize, my friends, family, and myself by keeping my promise, and abandoning my dedication to be as honest a person as I can be. I find it ironic that I maintain my integrity by breaking a promise, but life doesn't always make sense.

• Purza
    Purza

Nope -- doesn't mean a damn thing to me.

My friend who has faded is allowing her 16 year old son to go to meetings because he still wants to. I told her NOT to let him get baptized until he is at least 18. If and/or when he decides to take the plunge, I will have a serious heart to heart with him first.

Purza

• jaffacake
    jaffacake

Jehovahs Witnesses, not all that long ago, used to teach that baptism was a non-denominational affair and that people could not be baptised into any religion nor any organisation. They explained accurately how that conclusion came from the Scriptures themselves.

Sadly, they began to denounce scriptural baptism in 1985, and removed the Holy Spirit from the wording, replacing it with the human organisation. In my opinion, if I discern scriptures correctly, that was the unforgivable sin. Oh dear..and they begun their race so well...

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

You got baptized by the wrong people and the wrong religion. If you truly believe that you should be baptized, you need to get baptized in a religion that you believe in.

• GoingGoingGone
    GoingGoingGone

I was baptized Catholic as a baby, and JW as a 14 year old. The Catholic baptism means a lot more to me. At least it was in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. Oh, and every Catholic on earth didn't shun me when I was no longer practicing Catholicism.

GGG

• calico
    calico
    (as a teenager, it`s a huge deal, lol, even when the bathing suit has a little skirt)

I wore one of those, too! Made of cotton and had yellow flowers--how silly! I have a picture somewhere!

I've often wondered that if Jehovah read hearts, what difference does it make if we are baptized or not?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit