if God proved he was there would you serve him

by force 64 Replies latest social current

• Crumpet
    Crumpet

If God could prove he exists I would want to know a few things before I agreed to suck him off suck up to him:

Is he just terribly misrepresented in the bible as a misogynistic, child killing, sexist racist who has no power for good in the modern world?

If he says yes then my next question is so why didnt you pick better writers then to reflect your true self. if we mere humans can pick good ghost writers to write our biographies and make us look cool and saintly - surely God who can read minds and hearts could have found some one better?

• rebel8
    rebel8

Would I go back to serving him? That questions assumes I was ever serving him in the first place. I wasn't; I was serving an organization. The JW party line is, "God deserves to be worshipped in the way he wants, not in the way you want." Yet they fail to acknowledge they are doing the opposite of that. A group of men in Brooklyn make the rules and millions follow those manmade rules.

If God proved he was there, would I serve him? I don't know. I'd have to have the answers to the following questions first:

• Does he want to be worshipped/served, and if so, what are the methods to appropriate worship?
    • Does he deserve to be worshipped/served? To answer this, he'd have to show me why evil and suffering is allowed, why he hasn't made himself known all these millions of years, etc. If it is not answered to my satisfaction, I may actually prefer to die than to serve an unworthy god.
    • Does he want me to worship/serve him? If so, why? Again, if the reason for worship is not answered to my satisfaction, I may opt not to.
  • Narkissos
    Narkissos

Who?

The problem with the classical monotheistic perspective on "God" is that his "essence" and "existence" are unseparable. Acknowledging one version of "the only God" means denying all other versions. Monotheism (which started with the negation of gods) and atheism are closely knitted together right from the beginning.

Perhaps (just perhaps) the only "God" who might prove to be there someday we are all serving already, unaware, including and possibly mostly through denial.

Agnôstô theô, "to an unknown god" (Acts 17:23), one of the deepest religious expressions ever.

• Check_Your_Premises
    Check_Your_Premises

TS,

Ha. I will let you and your women worship you. You alone should be the master of your domain.

CYP

• freedomlover
    freedomlover

cool topic.

woke up this morning, saw this thread and was going to post immediately but then read through the comments.

I agree with a lot of you. I wouldn't want to serve the god of the OT or NT or the JW's god ever again. that cannot be "god."

here's my thought recently : from the bible, nonetheless, 1John 4:8 - "god is love" ........... god IS love.

perhaps in my mind now the best god I can come up with is love. It's the most powerful force I know. so right now, at this stage, and all that "love" encompasses, that is my god. William Hurt has an amazing line in the movie "The Village" about love, something like "the earth will move and bend to it, because it's that powerful." (not directly quoting, got to watch that scene again......)

so if a god from the sky, the bible god, came back and said "here I am - worship me" I guess I would need to know WHY do you need me to worship you?

I'd have to decide after he/she could answer that question for me.................

• Scully
    Scully

God is supposed to be the creator of heaven and earth, right? So that means, whatever he desires he can just point - zap - poof and have what he wants.... including automatons to serve him obediently and without question. What is the point of having Free Will, if in order to "serve God" appropriately, Free Will must be relinquished?

What could I possibly do for him that he can't do for himself? Nothing.

What has he done for me lately? Nothing.

What part did God play in getting me where I am now? Nothing. I had to figure it all out and work for it all by myself.

Respect and trust (which IMO must come before worship) are things that must be earned. I'm not inclined to give either to anyone on the mere basis of existence.

• Dansk
    Dansk

Tetrapod:

a cool god that i have heard of is buddha. though i don't know if he would be considered a god in the classic sense of the word.

No, Buddha isn't God in any sense. He was just a man. Enlightened, yes. God, no!

I think many comments here may be spoken out of bravado but, if God did exist and proved so, most (ALL?) of us would serve him - even if it were out of fear!

If God existed we would want our lives to be better - if not now, then definitely in the next. If God proved he existed I'm jolly sure we'd want to be on his good side!

Ian

• JH
    JH

I am serving him, and in many ways.

By being nice to everyone, and by posting here.

• Abaddon
    Abaddon

Your statement makes it obvious that you have decided the Bible is god's word. Why?

At the time the Bible says the world was underneath water during the Flood, we know that Egyptians were SO busy being Egyptian they didn't notice the water and the Great Pyramid had already stood for hundreds of years. If you live in America you can drive and see trees that were three hundred years old during the Flood.

Let's ignore the false assumption inherent in your question (i.e. that of Biblical inspiration).

Which god? And which way of serving?

A Thugee devotee of Kali? Or a priest of Quetzlecotl? Or a Conquistador? Or a Crusader? Or a member of the Holy Inquisiton? Or a Muslim terrorist? Or a Christian terrorist? A member of the US Armed FOrces in th 19th C helping to assert Manifest Destiny? A slave-owning Southerner before the American civil war? A boardmember of Union Carbide/Wallmart? Or a Jain? Bachus? Apollo? The list is endless as I haven't even got onto the Hindu gods yet (but there's only really one of those if you actually know your Vedics)

If Jesus existed and did rail against the ritualistic and formulaic practises of the Pharasees, he would spit in the face of many religionists today. The petty, devisive ignorance of many forms of religions would be anethema to someone who basically told us to be nice to each other.

If god exists, he is not some pissy tribal demon who gives us freewill, punishes all of mankind for using it and takes away perfection and leaves us to show how we do on our own, and then confuses languages the minute humans are peacefully co-operating. Any concept of god needing human worship or creating us as some crutch for divine ego is childish and primative.

If god exists, it's bigger than we can imagine, so big we are probably part of it, not divine, but mundane yet still awesome, a new meaning for an old word and far more wonderful than primative supersticion.

• IMustBreakAway
    IMustBreakAway

I read something recently that said that worshiping god is like sucking someone off who is constantly putting out smokes on your forehead. It's a great analogy. Made me laugh but also made me think. I currently don't believe in a god at all but if he were to have a personal conversation with me and demonstrate his power i would be inclined to think he existed. As for serving him? It would depend on his reason why. If it was something like "because i said so." Then no, i consider it more noble to die fighting a battle i know i cannot win.

It's interesting though, because if the whole thing was true(in JW terms) then that would mean that satan is actually winning. Because more people would be against god than with him. So how does that work? Jah looks at the records and sees that 6mill people worship him, and 5.9bill don't. Oh well just destroy em all anyway.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit