Without naming your city, tell us more about it

by JH 60 Replies latest jw friends

• ColdRedRain
    ColdRedRain

It's damn cold in the summer, stormy and humid in the summertime, lots of lakes and has no culninary identity. Oh, and there are alot of white people here, and there's another city like it across the river, about the same size and has more white people, less of a culninary identity and its only claim to being cosmopolitian is that it has an NHL hockey team.

• stealyourface
    stealyourface

My city is the first name in steak. It has a world class zoo, one of the largest indoor rainforests in the world, and more restaurants per capita than any other city in the US. At least it did at one time. Our favorite restaurant is a mom and pop diner that boasts "Over 2 billionaires served". The city is also host to the College World Series.

• xjwms
    xjwms

I live in a city that is very cold in the winter, .. AND

as soon as there is a little snow, ... the city ... SALTS

they put so much salt down, all the cars turn white and start to rot with rust.

If the great lakes get 'salt-eee' you will know where it came from.

Oh, ... yea, ... the traffic is not so hot as well.

• Gretchen956
    Gretchen956

oooooh, I'm going to name names. I grew up in Libby Montana. Little bitty town with some of the biggest jerks for elders EVER. Small town, very depressed area, not much more timber to cut down, the mines are all shut down, I wouldn't be surprised if there were the largest volume of trailer houses (ok mobile homes) per capita.

Then I lived for awhile in Spokane Washington and Coeur d' Alene, Idaho. There was actually one elder in Spokane that was one of the kindest and most generous people I ever met. Coeur d' Alene had some pretty messed up elders, one of them was hitting on my roommate constantly, she was not attending. One day we all decided to hit the KH just for a lark. Here's this elder, sees her, well his jaw hits the floor and he turns the whitest shade of pale. Long story short he denied it when it went to JC, but I heard later he did get DFd.

Moved to Kennewick WA. There is where the "love" of the congregations was made manifestly clear to me and where I had the epiphany that this was all BS. I stopped attending, I stopped giving the elders any more power over my life or any part in it.

Now living in Kent, WA, near Seattle.

All that is for those elders who may be monitoring the site. BRING IT!!!!

Sherry

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Let's see

I live in the same city as the home of THE ROYAL CANADIAN MOUNTED POLICE MUSICAL RIDE. The image of the red-coated Mountie in broad-brimmed Stetson hat is instinctively associated with Canada around the world. RCMP Musical Ride Centre

I also live near The Rideau Canal which is more than 160 years old. It is the only continuously operating canal system in North America. The canal is used as a navigable leisure waterway in the summer or in the winter for skating. The winter festival, Winterlude is celebrated here for two weeks in February every year. One section of the Rideau Canal is the longest skating rink in the world. It is approximately 7.8 km long. The Rideau Canal

Another interesting tidbit about where I live. The Diefenbunker is a huge four-storey bunker, buried deep under a hillside and meant to house crucial elements of Canadian government in a nuclear war. Exhibits and recreated areas provide a startling glimpse into Cold War history. This National Historic Site of Canada, is an underground nuclear bunker built in secrecy during the height of the Cold War between 1959 and 1961, and was meant to house the top officials of the government and military during the risk of nuclear attack. http://diefenbunker.ca/english/default.asp

One more? Canada’s Capital Region is home to one of North America’s largest networks of cycling pathways — the Capital Pathway network. More than 170 kilometres of recreational pathways link superb natural areas, parks, gardens, museums and attractions. The paths are great for cycling and many other activities such as walking, jogging and in-line skating. http://www.canadascapital.gc.ca/bins/ncc_web_content_page.asp?cid=16297-16299-9970-9971&lang=1

Oh and yes. I live in the capital city of Canada

• mouthy
    mouthy

Mine is a village >tourist> where you will see Mennonites with their horse & buggies all dressed in black, We have a Mennonite Market that folks come to visit from around the world. It is VERY Cold in Winter & ruddy hot this last summer. Many old people, Church bells ring at 12,noon. there is a Lutheran Church, United Church- Two Mennonite Churches -Two stage theaters,12 Bed & breakfasts,
    Lots of Arts &Crafts shops, the Grand River flows through it, & there is a Mill Race that folks walk along daily, You will see squirrels, rabbits, chipmonks, all day.... NO BUSES!!! A Train only in the Summer to bring folks from the next town KITCHENER!!!

Great place to live. Best Country in the World >CANADA!!!!

• Low-Key Lysmith
    Low-Key Lysmith

My City rests on the Shores of the Mighty Columbia River.

It is on the other side of the river from the largest city on Oregon, but is in Washington.

Rains a lot.

Has trees everywhere and stays green all through winter.

Has some of the best Salmon, Steelhead, and White Sturgeon fishing in the world nearby.

Is close to an active volcano, and a few inactive(apostate) volcanos.

Is an hour and a half drive from the Pacific Ocean.

Is on the route that Lewis and Clark took to the Pacific.

Is home to an old fort of the same name as the city which is now a museum.

Hosts the largest July 4th Fireworks Display west of the Mississippi.

• Jamelle
    Jamelle

My city is the home of Irishmen that are know for their tendancy to fight. They have these special gold and blue outfits they wear when they do it.

The twentieth century saw us producing alot of Studabaker cars. Now the huge factory buildings sit empty and derelict on the west side of town.

We are finally starting to get more drive thru Starbucks - for which I will be forever grateful. Prior to now I've actually had to park and WALK to get my coffee. The things people do for their addictions... But I digress!

We have a Chocolate Company named after us. Lots of those cafes here and in the surrounding areas.

Although the city itself is very built up and bleeds into neighboring cities/shopping areas - we are never far from corn fields here. Oh, and cows, there are alot of cows.

All in all, I love where I live! Not too big, not too small. Theres always lots to do, but for big city excitement I can drive 2 hours and get to Chicago (or take the South Shore train). For old fashioned fun I can drive 1 hour another direction and end up in Amish country.

The weather typically bites, though. Summer is very humid. Winter is very, very grey. I don't mind the cold, but never seeing the sun gets to you after a while.

• undercover
    undercover

George Washington slept here.

Daniel Boone rode through here on his way out "west".

• Peppermint
    Peppermint

I live in a very small village about 40 miles north of London. My little village held the country residence of the American ambassador before world war one. John Bunyan also was a local boy. Oh, and the next door village is famous for Satan worship

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit