The Wild Beast has both a Name & Number. Do you know what the NAME is?

by Schizm 368 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Schizm
    Schizm
    [Schizm] claim[s] that the woman is not called "Babylon the Great" but is in fact, called "Babylon the great city". The name on her forehead is "Babylon the Great" but this isn't her name, it's the name of the beast. And the phrase "the mother of prostitutes and of the detestable things of the earth" is not part of the name or referring to the name's owner, but should be bracketed and moved to a different part of the sentence. -- funkyderrick.

Good job, funky!

He also seems to believe that everywhere else the name or phrase "Babylon the Great" appears it refers to the harlot, not the beast. At least he believes it is the harlot in Revelation 18:2, and there are only two other occurrences in Revelation, (14:8 and 16:19) neither of which could easily refer to the beast.

Yep, that's true. But you haven't heard the rest of the story. Steve was the first to inquire about what you're referring to, and it will be answered.

So try to keep your britches on, funky.

Schizm

• Jeffro
    Jeffro
    So you actually believe that this entire string of words is a "name"?
    Wow ... a "name" that's comprised of no less than sixteen words!!!
    Do you not realize how unreasonable it is of you to make such an assertion?
    For your information, those are descriptive words ... words that describe something about the woman. And, so, no they're NOT the "name".
    What do you have to say about the comparison I made there, Jeffro?
    Schizm

You are ignoring the way the Greek word "onoma" (Strong's 3686) is used in the bible. Though this Greek word can refer to a proper name, it is also used more broadly to describe the character of the one named, or to put it another way, what that name represents. For other examples of this usage in the Greek scriptures, see Matthew 7:22, Matthew 10:22, Matthew 10:41-42, Phillipians 2:9, Revelation 13:1, Revelation 19:16. This is not an exhaustive list.
    According to one bible lexicon, the word is used to represent: "everything which the name covers, everything the thought or feeling of which is aroused in the mind by mentioning, hearing, remembering, the name, i.e. for one's rank, authority, interests, pleasure, command, excellences, deeds etc". A similar usage in modern English is when someone does something "in the name of the law". "The law" is not a specifically named individual, but something is done as a representative of that which is named.

On a seperate note, I am still awaiting your apology.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul
    What do you have to say about the comparison I made there, Jeffro?

Schizm,

Jeffro DID specifically reply to this question, and so will I. You are correct that it doesn't make much sense for the name to have 16 words in 21st Century American English.

But to force modern rules of language onto an ancient language usage doesn't make much sense, either. That is what you have done. That is not what translators do; it is called paraphrasing. The following is a proper name of the current Pope of Rome:

Pope Benedict XVI, Vicarius Filii Die, Pontifex Maximus, Servus Servorum Dei

Now you may rightly detect that these are titles held by the Pope. However, these "titles" described the role of the bearer and are exclusive to the bearer. At the time these "titles" were acquired by the papacy, these were not considered merely honorific "titles," they were considered part of a name.

Witness a modern example in King's English of a name extended by title: "I dub [name] thee, Sir Ian McKellen. Rise Sir Ian, Knight of the Realm."

Another example, while also more brief than the example in question in Revelation, is demonstrated by our own Eduardo Leaton, Jr. Esquire. The title goes beyond the honorific.

In the case under discussion, "the mother of the harlots and the disgusting things of the earth" applies only to one person: the woman riding the beast. While this fact destroys your notion of a short name for her and simultaneously strains to the point of disbelief your claim about the name of the beast, it remains a fact. In the texts the Bible was translated from, that section is part of the name written on the woman.

As I said earlier, whether or not "mystery" is also part of the name is only in question because it may be an interjection before the name or it may be part of the name. However, at whatever point you start calling the text the name of the harlot (obviously not past Babylon the great), her name extends to the end of the verse as one complete name. You can't move it because there is no separating language in the Greek. If there was, you would have an arguable point. That is why NO Greek translator has ever chopped up and reordered the verse as you suggest doing.

Drawing comparisons to how we use names today is pointless as a guide to translating an ancient language but, as I said, please demonstrate your point from other Greek texts or other ancient usage and I will happily modify my opinion.

As always, you are free to believe whatever you want. Once you step over the line between personal belief and teaching, expect to be challenged thoroughly for proof of accuracy.

AuldSoul

{edited to accurately reflect the content of Jeffro's post}

• Jeffro
    Jeffro

Auldsoul:

Jeffro didn't specifically reply to this question, but I will.

Actually, I did specifically answer Schizm's question. In reality, there was no 'comparison' as such, for the Greek word 'onoma' is used to "describe" a thing, and can in that sense be used for a 'name' of any number of words.

• AuldSoul
    AuldSoul

Ah, so you did. My apologies.

Respectfully,
    AuldSoul

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    The Wild Beast has both a Name & Number. Do you know what the NAME is?

I know his name... Snuggles!!!!

• Undecided
    Undecided

I don't care about a name. I want to know what this is?

lurking place of every unclean exhalation

Does this mean our farts and belches reside in Babylon the Great. It's no wonder no one would want to be there.

Ken P.

• Schizm
    Schizm

Contrary to the way you people would have it, the Bible is not inconsistent with itself. The Bible doesn't teach in one place that a name written on a forehead is not the name of the person bearing the name, and then in some other place teach the very opposite.

Returning to something Jeffro said earlier:

Literally, the sense of the phrase is "And upon the forehead of her [i.e. upon her forehead] - name having been written [i.e. was written a name] - mystery...".

So what you're saying is that the words can be shifted around if necessary in order to make "sense of the phrase" (to clarify the meaning). In the one instance, you have taken the liberty of switching places with the words "forehead" and "her". And in the second instance you took the liberty of switching places with the words "written" and "name". You've also taken the liberty of striking out the words "the" and "of" in the first instance. And in the second instance you've taken the liberty of striking out the words "having" and "been," while at the same time adding "was" and "a" to the text. What you find OKAY for yourself to do is quite similar to what you say I was WRONG for having done. You reworded the sentence in various places, the result of which is a paraphrased version of the original. Yes, you've restated the text using other words in order to clarify the meaning of the text.

Of course I have no problem with you doing that. What I do object to is your saying that I'm wrong for doing the same thing as you.

Here's the word-for-word translation of original text:

and upon the forehead of her name having been written mystery babylon the great the mother of the harlots and of the disgusting things of the earth -- Revelation 17:5.

If I take the same liberties which you've afforded youself, this is the way that I would reword (paraphrase) the text:

And upon her forehead was written a name, a mystery: "Babylon the Great." Yes, that was the name inscribed upon the forehead of she who is the mother of the harlots and of the disgusting things of the earth. ¾ Revelation 17:5.

My way of rewording the text is profoundly superior to your way, because it harmonizes with what the Bible teaches elsewhere about names that are written on foreheads.

Schizm

• Schizm
    Schizm

I don't care about a name. I want to know what this is?
    lurking place of every unclean exhalation

Does this mean our farts and belches reside in Babylon the Great. It's no wonder no one would want to be there.

Ken P.

Then what are you doing in this thead, knucklehead?

Schizm

• LittleToe
    LittleToe

You're not convincing anyone, you know

(((hugs))) there, there, there.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit