Anyone take up smoking after leaving the borg?

by AK - Jeff 37 Replies latest jw friends

I never succumbed to the teenage pressure to smoke, and certainly not because I was a JW. I just saw no purpose in it. As for a certain herb, that was a different story. My body is a temple. I don't need the Watchtower to tell me not to smoke; the evidence of its adverse health effects is overwhelming. I've seen relatives and friends die a slow, painful death from smoking. No thanks.

• mark hughes
    mark hughes

Hi Ellie, thanks for the welcome. I must just add to my previous post that although I do smoke I wish I had never started! I don't smoke in my house as I hate smoke filled rooms. Yellow fingers, smelly clothes, bad breath why do we do it? I think I will give up...now....no tomorrow......well soon anyway.

• fullofdoubtnow
    fullofdoubtnow

I was a heavy -ish smoker, about 25 a day before I became a jw, and had the odd one when I was first in, secretly of course. Since leaving, I have been smoking occasionally, but don't really want to get back into it, though spending so much time with dedpoet sometimes makes it hard to resist, he smokes about 20 a day

• BLISSISIGNORANCE
    BLISSISIGNORANCE

I was a 20-30 a day smoker before i became a witness. then i gave up when i left my smoking hubby, was pregnant with my 3rd child and associated only with dubs. That was 17yrs ago.

Now i have been out of the borg for over 3yrs and would never take up smoking again, purely for health reasons. i see many of my friends who have continued to smoke and the effects of long term smoking are very visible. the addictivness of smoking is frightening. i know a guy who is 43 and has emphasima. he was told if he didn't stop he would probably not live much beyond 55 and would always have chest problems anyway. he wants to live but can't give up.......and believe me, he has tried just about everything.

so never be fooled that you can smoke and YOU are in control of the cigarette.................it's the other way around!

good luck and good health to you

• crabbyGabby
    crabbyGabby

Without being judgmental, I would urge anyone considering smoking to seriously reconsider. Cases in point:

1. My great-grandfather died of emphysema early in life, as consequence of smoking. His widow, a nonsmoker, lived another 40 years.
    2. His son (my great uncle) also smoked, also had emphysema, and ended up taking his life to avoid dying of suffocation.
    3. My paternal grandfather smoked for years. He survived one heart attack, but a second massive one took him out. Emergency personnel were called but were not able to revive him.
    4. Another uncle also smoked for many years (probably about 35-40 years). He suffered a stroke after heart bypass surgery and was never again able to care for himself. Died young, in a nursing home, at 60.
    5. My husband's father died of lung cancer in his early 60s. He had smoked off and on (more on than off, from what I understand) since his service in Korea (about 40 years). Two grandchildren, including his only granddaughter, were born after he died. And I never met him.
    6. Finally, my father. After smoking for 40 years (since he was 15), he had a single bypass. Now, he b!***es about a cocktail of drugs he takes that keeps the other two lesser blockages open.
  • Balsam
    Balsam

I took up smoking after leaving the JW's and that was the most stupid things I could have done. Quiting is not so easy. But I did quit and would never take it up again.

For anyone leaving the witnesses, don't take up smoking it really is terribly habit and I really liked it.

• caligirl
    caligirl

I have smoked a couple of cigarettes, but I'm not sure you could even call it smoking them- for the most part I held it in my hand and tapped it off as it burned down. And it was only because they were the fruit scented camels and they smelled good- until they were lit that is. Only took one real drag and it totally made my head spin. Not something I have any desire to pick up as a habit.

• GentlyFeral
    GentlyFeral

Smoking what, exactly?

We took up cannabis for pain relief a year or so after we unjaydubbed. I also like the meditative and anti-bitchiness qualities.

My husband started smoking tobacco very sparingly a couple of years later; now he's switched from cigarettes to bidis, because they have fewer additives (as far as we know) and they taste better. He's the heaviest smoker in our family: one bidi a day.

My daughter smokes clove cigarettes - I don't think she smokes even one a day - because they're actually better pain relief for her than MJ.

gentlyferal

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit