Anyone take up smoking after leaving the borg?

by AK - Jeff 37 Replies latest jw friends

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I still consider it a bad habit with health concerns. But I am honestly attracted to the idea of a pipe and cherry tobacco.

I have joked of it some with wifey, but not too serious. Maybe though just an occasional pipe or a cuban would be ok?

Jeff

• atypical
    atypical

I would love to try a good cigar. I have heard that many practicing witness brothers indulge in cigars on occasion, of course only in certain company. If I had anybody to smoke one with, I think I would jump at the chance.

• AK - Jeff
    AK - Jeff

I agree.

I have no cigar smokers in my life, and I think that is a team sport. Atypical, if you ever get in Indiana give me a pm. We will find and smoke a Cuban and drink a beer.

Jeff

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

Word to the wise: I started with just a cigar, then a daily cigar, then two a day, then cigarettes. Now I hope to quit this year. (Like I hoped to last year)

It's not that they're addictive, it's just that they completely take over your brain and you become a slave to their every whim. :-)

Dave

• prophecor
    prophecor

Picked up the habit, sometime after leaving. Got out of control and I had to let it go. Newports were my weapon of choice. I've been smoke free, however, going on five years, with a relapse of only 3 weeks. within the past year, 2005. Out of all the habits that could be taken up, I pass on that one.

• prophecor
    prophecor

Dave, have you tried the patch yet? It's worked for me, everytime. Even during my relapse last year. Got them from CVS. Very generic. $23.00 for a weeks worth of 21 mg. patches. They're true lifesavers, litterally. I didn't even need to use the entire week, and trust me, no one enjoyed / endured smoking more than I did. My life reflected around keeping myself in smokes for years. I've smoked before coming into the truth.

• horrible life
    horrible life
    It's not that they're addictive, it's just that they completely take over your brain and you become a slave to their every whim. :-)

I worked for a grocery chain. We had a huge get together, and everybody was drinking and smoking. I was 23 years old. It looked so cool, people blowing smoke. So I asked for one, slept like a baby that night.

I liked it so much, I asked a friend at work for 1 each night or 4 nights. I then bought my own pack, I was a cigarette addict for 19 years. I have been clean for 3 years now. I know, as I have heard, of all drug addicts, that just 1 puff, I would be addicted again.

I am NOT going there again. My life, as AA described, was ruled by cigarettes.

• atypical
    atypical

Jeff- thanks for the offer, that sounds good. Ditto for you if you ever come to Phoenix. A Cigar and a Beer, plus intelligent conversation - that would be a treat for me.

• Es
    Es

Yep i did, i actually turned into a chain smoker for a bit, but have also found it easy to stop as well .

I found it rather comforting having a smoke at times.

es

• MsMcDucket
    MsMcDucket

I started smoking about 3 years ago. It's very calming. At the time, I was very stressed out. Now, I am a confirmed smoker. I don't care if the witnesses see me smoking. Hell! I'm grown! My kids asked me how would you feel if we started smoking? I told them that if they wanted to start smoking at the age of 42 it would be fine with me.

I didn't smoke when I was pregnant or when they were children. That's good enough. IMHO

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit