I'm going to give you one more chance.

by LDH 57 Replies latest jw friends

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

I remember getting docked marks on a poetry assignment for using the word o'er

LOL!

• Swan
    Swan

I had to think way back for a lot of this, but here goes.

In grade school my mother was always pressuring me to use the magazines for my reports. The teachers let me get away with it, and only graded me on format, punctuation, grammar, and spelling. They should have nipped it in the bud!

In fifth grade we had a sharing library where students should bring their favorite books for the whole class to benefit. Emboldened by my mother and good grades for my papers, I brought a Troof book.

In seventh grade, we started studying Greek mythology in social sciences, and evolution in science. I carried my little blue Evolution book with me from class to class and read it on breaks. My teachers didn't say anything, but they sure gave me some weird looks. I couldn't understand why.

Later in the year I quoted from an Awake on sleep and the nature of dreams for a science paper. I even put a paragraph in the conclusion about how soon the sleep of death would be a thing of the past and all people asleep in their graves would wake up and come to live. The teacher started questioning the science part, asking where I had gotten this information, as it seemed out of touch with current medical research.

In college (community college) I yielded to the pressure of a brother who told me to use my writing class as a way to reach the teacher with the Troof. All through the class I wrote about everything else and had an A. Our last paper was on a controversy. The teacher wanted me to go ahead and do the paper as an exercise even though I had already gotten an A for the class. I wrote about the persecution of people in Malawi and got a B for the class. That's right. My paper was so bad she marked me down a whole grade!

I went to the teacher and reminded her that I had an A up until then and she was the one who said to do the paper as an exercise. I got my A for the class, but my teacher didn't say another word to me, and we had gotten along well until then. I finally learned a valuable lesson and never brought up my crazy religion at school again.

Tammy

• LDH
    LDH
    all people asleep in their graves would wake up and come to live. The teacher started questioning the science part, asking where I had gotten this information, as it seemed out of touch with current medical research.

Freakin' hilarious.

And "The Tree of Knowledge of Good and Bad." that was just priceless and had me snorting.

Can I nominate this thread for Lady Lee's "Best of" Series? It is a cult classic, no pun intended.

• limbogirl
    limbogirl

joining the fun late...I remember a paper I wrote in the 9th grade --don't remember the topic but throughout I wrote things like, "recent studies show..blah blah blah." or "a recent report concluded that..blah blah blah." My paper was given a low grade and was red-inked with comments like, "what report?" "what study?" "where did you find these references and why aren't you providing credible information?!?" I was completely embarrassed. That was an eye-opener to me as to the lack of credibility contained in the dub publications.

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    As adults who are now awake, we might take an opportunity to clue local teachers in to what a unique opportunity they have in waking Witness kids up. They will have to keep it academic, of course, but they can properly question a child's reasoning on choice of support and point out errors in the sources chosen.

Just a thought. Arming the public to understand why they should help and how to help may go much father in the long run than any other activity we could engage in versus the Society.

Respectfully,

AuldSoul

I think this is a fabulous idea. Do you think teachers would listen to us? My teachers would listen to me if I identified myself (but of course I'm afraid I'd publicly be made known as someone against the Witnesses). Many of my teachers saw such potential in me, so I know they'd listen to me. I had a history teacher who tried so hard to get me to think for myself and stop spouting off crap in his classes. He would ask me questions in front of the class and I would answer them with the automatic answers we are taught to say. I sounded so robotic and nutso. But this teacher and I had a mutual respect for one another and this thread makes me want to contact him and let him know he really did help me (he sowed a seed in me and he may not even realize it). At the time I felt like he was one with worldly knowledge and not godly knowledge and that's why he couldn't see things the way we true Christians could. What a nut job I was. One time in my Cultural Studies class he asked me to define the word cult. I remember he was trying to show to me and to the class that JW's were a cult, because he always had an agenda that included showing me that JW's are wrong (thinking about that makes my heart hurt because I realize now how hard he was trying to get me to think for myself and help me). Apparently I wrote a letter to my friend about how I defined cult and how proud of myself I was for proving the teacher wrong when he said in front of everyone that JW's are a cult. Well my friend recently found that letter and emailed me a copy of it. My definition of cult sure sounded like the JW's to me! That's how incredibly out of touch with reality I was! Anyway, back to what AuldSoul said, if we wrote letters to the teachers maybe it would make a difference. There's a quote I found that made me profoundly sad for all of us who were raised as JW's: 'it's easier to build a healthy child then to repair a broken adult' or something similar; I'm sure I just botched it up. GG

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    I remember getting docked marks on a poetry assignment for using the word o'er

My teacher and I argued about if I should be allowed to use the word "ought" in a paper I wrote. I'm sure I got it from the WT publications. Apparently the word isn't used much anymore, lol.

• Good Girl or Bad Girl?
    Good Girl or Bad Girl?

OK here are a couple more (I have lots of them and now it is extremely embarrassing):

My junior year in high school I wrote my huge research paper (it was a joint paper for English and World History) on Jehovah's Witnesses, the Organization Behind the Name. My english teacher, bless her heart, tried valiently to grade me fairly even though it meant reading that drivel (10+ pages of it). My history teacher, however, didn't even bother to read the paper. He always had grading sheets that were extremely involved and he would write notes all over the grading sheets and in the margins of the paper, etc. There wasn't a single comment from him. He slapped an A on the front and handed it back to me. I was offended because I actually thought he would read the paper and I had written it with him in mind, like I was going to teach him something! (Maybe I should go back and re-write the paper and then mail it to him. It would certainly sound different now!)

In my college (community college) speech class I did my final speech on Jehovah's Witnesses and the Holocaust. It was done with all kinds of drama, and I still have the video tape of it. I sounded so pretentious and full of myself, like I was better than other people because I was a Witness. I know my teacher respected me up until that point.

• LDH
    LDH
    He always had grading sheets that were extremely involved and he would write notes all over the grading sheets and in the margins of the paper, etc. There wasn't a single comment from him.

It sounds like you were not the first JW kid he had.

Not that "out of the mouths of babes" isn't true sometimes, but as an adult I would find it the height of disrespect if an enlightened 16 year old told me about the true path to God. And yet, we were expected to do it daily.

This is most certaily what the majority of the teachers felt, but their experience taught them that the brainwashed JW youth wouldn't listen to logic.

Good post, gg.

Lisa

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit