I'm going to give you one more chance.

by LDH 57 Replies latest jw friends

• LDH
    LDH

I hope all of you GenX-r exJW will get a kick out of this story from my childhood. I was just talking to JT and he says I should post it....

My daughter is studying WWI history in school. I told her that when I was in 10th grade, I had a Social Studies teacher named Nancy Galbraith. She was an amazing teacher. I liked her so much I felt I could convert her to become a JW.

For my research paper, I was assigned to write about the League of Nations and why it failed. Oh hell no I didn't! Yes I did.

I busted out every reference in the WBTS publications about the Beast that Was but is Not but Will Be (TM) and Gog of Magog and so on. I mean this paper was LAID OUT. I had footnotes, illustrations, captions to my illustrations and it ended with an outright damnation of the new Beast, the UN. I spent so much time on this paper, I was sure it would be the thing that got Miss Galbraith to become a JW.

I cross referenced the Greek Interlinear, cited the Aid Book and every WT that even mentioned the League of Nations. My parents were so pleased with it, it really was a high quality report!

I turned it in.

She called me to her desk the next day, and said, "I'm going to give you one chance to take this nonsense back and bring me a real report which cites references by SCHOLARS blah blah blah."

My face was burning hot. I was so embarrassed. I ended up doing a substitute paper which cited real sources. I did it during lunch hour and study hall because I was quite embarrassed.

I did get an A but I will never forget those words.

My daughter nearly pissed herself laughing.

The JW of today have really weakened their message from twenty years ago when I was a teenager.

Lisa

Knows better, now Class

• Gill
    Gill

LDH - I'm blushing for you!!!!

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

wow

Now wouldn't it be awesome to find her and let her know she was sooooo right

• AlmostAtheist
    AlmostAtheist

WOW! She must have a helluva BS detector to be able to just swish all your research away like that. You must've been crushed!

I'm sure you laugh now, but man o' man, that would've been harsh!

I remember in civics class I remarked that the United Nations was just the League of Nations under a new name. My civics teacher said, "Actually, they were very different." I dismissed it mentally and didn't ask him to clarify it. What a shame, since I still know nothing about the League.

Dave

• Odrade
    Odrade

LMAO! I could tell you an identical story about a paper I wrote for Freshman English Lit... *rolls eyes* What is it with these JW kids anyways? Thinking that the Watchtower and Aid book constitutes research. Bwahahaha!
    Great story!

• serendipity
    serendipity

In 5th grade, I actually won an award for a science paper I wrote using WTS publications. I guess my teacher wasn't so discriminating.

• greendawn
    greendawn

Yes the charlatans of the WTS keep shifting their positions and that leaves many people that defended these positions in an embarassed state.

• LDH
    LDH
    I remember in civics class I remarked that the United Nations was just the League of Nations under a new name. My civics teacher said, "Actually, they were very different." I dismissed it mentally and didn't ask him to clarify it. What a shame, since I still know nothing about the League.

Hilarious. Yet, when all the information you hear is sorted through your Bible Trained Conscience TM it doesn't seem so odd.

Isn't it amazing what we dismissed because it conflicted with the "Current Truth." If you had told me the the WT was going to lay down and fornicate with the UN I woulda laughed you out of there.

Odrade do tell of your English paper, LOL.

In 5th grade, I actually won an award for a science paper I wrote using WTS publications

Serendipity, the reason this doesn't surprise me is because the WTS publication are written on a 4th to 5th grade level.

Could you imagine using the same level of materials in tenth grade regents class?

• Odrade
    Odrade

In 4th grade I also won an award for a WT based essay. I guess grammar school teachers aren't that picky about scholarly references or actual content, being more concerned with legibility and proper spelling. Given that the WTS is not overly worried about misrepresenting secular materials, it seems to be a poor source of information for grade school reference.

This reminds me, about a year ago, my mom brought over an Awake! magazine with an article on marine reefs. It had several pictures of creatures, one of which was a very large picture of a "Saron" shrimp. (Saron marmoratus.) It was improperly labeled: "cleaner shrimp." Very different diet, function and habitat on the reef. I wonder if they ever printed a correction? I know, minor detail, but yet another example of poor scholarship, this one not even deliberate.

• atypical
    atypical

I turned in short paper in seventh grade about evolution/creation. I used the jw creation book, of course, and I pulled a quote in that book from Carl Sagan. I made that quote the focal point of my paper, and it got ridiculed by my teacher. He was an atheist and believed in evolution, and he asked me why I would quote an atheist who believes in evolution to try to support a paper on creation. I felt stupid, and I couldn't figure out how using the creation book had earned me scorn from my teacher.

Now I get it!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit