I'm going to give you one more chance.

by LDH 57 Replies latest jw friends

• Jamelle
    Jamelle

Great stories, everyone! I've racked my brain, but I can't remember ever using the WT publications to support a paper at school. If I ever did it was something from an Awake article on animals or something.

My desire to not get picked on the other kids outweighed any desire to be a "good little witness". I was already different enough - no holidays, birthdays, etc.

My experince was kind of the opposite actually. I remember that 6th grade teacher taught us about Greek/Roman mythology extensively. I was fascinated and checked out books from the library on these myths for some further study. My mother wasn't happy about that at all and put a stop to it real quick.

I think she even called my teacher with complaints about the pagan teachings I was receiving at school. Par for the course where my mother was concerned.

• Jourles
    Jourles

Yeah, I wanna see Leo's papers from her high school days! It would be a hoot to compare them side-by-side with her research from today.

LDH, too funny of a thread. I once did a "book report" on the Creation book. My english teacher wasn't very impressed with the material...

• Jankyn
    Jankyn

We had some uber-Witnesses who wouldn't even take biology; I was supposed to use notes to get out of both the evolution and the human reproduction sections, but didn't--*apostate in training*!

I will say that TMS gave me a fast-track to an "A" in speech class.

But it was the fifth grade introduction to research papers--including how to write a bibliography and how to properly cite quotations--that started my little head spinning (think Linda Blair, for those of you old enough--or worldly enough--to remember). I discovered what all those ellipses (..., the three little dots that mean you've cut something out of the quote) were about--and gosh, they seemed to be everywhere in the literature! (Oops, I guess that's "litter-ature.")

By 10th grade, I was on my way out, so no embarassing high school preaching stories for me. Just the attempts to distance myself from the incredibly weird JWs in school.

Jankyn

• LDH
    LDH
    I chose to do a report on Paul's Journeys or some such nonsense using only WT publications as references. I felt so smart and smug when I turned this in. I think I received a B but my teacher always looked at me with pity in her eyes after that. She also wrote some comments on my paper about using varied references and some other humiliating but valuable criticisms.

LOL @ Evita!

Evita I'm in Fresno, but I'm in Yolo county frequently enough. There's another poster on this thread who lives near enough. We are planning a mini-apostofest. PM me for details.

Jankyn,

By 10th grade, I was on my way out, so no embarassing high school preaching stories for me. Just the attempts to distance myself from the incredibly weird JWs in school.

Watchoo talkin' bout, Willis?

Seriously, I was just getting ramped up in tenth grade as I was preparing to Regular Pioneer after school. Which I did for three years. Until I got removed for reporting 984 hours instead of the required 1000, but that's another story.

Anyone from another country other than the USA do this? Or was this an anomaly just for the US JW kids? Odd, huh.

Lisa

• tall penguin
    tall penguin

I had a major crush on my High School History teacher and preached to him for 4 years. Being the kind soul that he was, he would accept any and all publications I'd give him. His comment in the end was always the same though..."These publications have no references for their quotes." He was a stickler for a bibliography and footnotes (which I dutifully provided in all of my assignments). It's funny that it never struck me how crazy it was that the wt couldn't put together an article the way I could in High School.
    Anyhow, I still keep in contact with this teacher and I recently apologized to him for my naivete in trying to preach to him with such slanted materials. He said he was never offended. He's been a great support for me since I left jw.
    Another story...in my final year of High School, there was a writing contest where students were asked to write a FICTION piece on what they foresaw the future to be like. I took the opportunity to do a rendition of the "paradise prophecy" in Isaiah, as told by a grandmother to her grandchild, kind of fable-like. I ended up winning. My principal even recognized the biblical reference and commented on it. I was a proud little dub for weeks after that.
    Most of the time though, I didn't use wt materials for school projects, unless the subject matter directly involved jws. I did a Grade 10 history project on the Holocaust (I was obsessed with this in high school, read everything I could get my hands on, including "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich"...no light reading when you're 15). My presentation included a few experiences of the witnesses but was more of a general overview of the time period. I really didn't find the wt publications to be that literary.
    tall penguin

• LDH
    LDH
    Another story...in my final year of High School, there was a writing contest where students were asked to write a FICTION piece on what they foresaw the future to be like. I took the opportunity to do a rendition of the "paradise prophecy" in Isaiah, as told by a grandmother to her grandchild, kind of fable-like. I ended up winning. My principal even recognized the biblical reference and commented on it. I was a proud little dub for weeks after that.

Yes, the key word here would be FICTION, huh tall? No wonder you won! The JW theology is given credibility in the world of FICTION. Hysterical!

I still wonder if it was just a US/Canada thing?

When I went to Mexico (Los Mochis) about 13 years ago, the JW elder family we knew (and stayed with many times before and after) were working on their CHRISTMAS PROJECTS for school. I speak enough Spanish to point out that these projects were CHRISTMAS RELATED. They weren't even fazed, that is the truth. They told me it was ok since it was a school project. I can still see them in my mind's eye cutting out the construction paper and coloring the pictures. My father told me not to 'make a big deal out of it. They have cultural differences and might not be fully aware of how we do things in the States."

Check that shit out!

Lisa

Should've have been a Mexican JW Class

• Billygoat
    Billygoat
    Later that year, I was helping her put away lab equipment, and saw a stack of those little blue Evolution books being used to balance a broken table. Hee hee.

Did nobody else see the humor in this? LMAO!

• Billygoat
    Billygoat

Several years ago, I went to Half Price Books. Where I found a New World Translation in the Religious Fiction section of the store. LMAO!

• LDH
    LDH

Half Price is still too much.

• Sunnygal41
    Sunnygal41

Oh, Lisa...........I had a similar experience in BIOLOGY class...........it was awful.......... when I think back to how pompous and self righteous I was........I cringe!!!!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit