What comforts you when you no longer believe in a ressurrection ?

by EdenOne 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Bonsai
    Bonsai

Who's to say that there won't be a resurrection in some form or another? Where I live many people are content with the belief of reincarnation. Even though there is no proof for it, people enjoy speculating what they were and what they will be next.

There are no verifiable answers as to what will happen when we die. The possibilities are endless. There is a beauty in not knowing what will happen.

All I know is: Being born was the first step toward dying. I do not regret being born, so I shouldn't regret my coming death either. I'm grateful for the now and the memories of my lost loved ones that I keep alive within me. Every day is so darn precious.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I hope that, when I am gone, I have touched some other lives in a positive way, whether those people are alive anymore or not. It's a type of karma where I want to leave the place a little better than I found it.

When I no longer think that "this life" should be spent appeasing some entity that could give me eternity, then I can use "this life" more fully.

I won't go so far as to say that I have no more wasted weekends, but if I do waste one, it's enjoying my coffee or the outdoor weather or maybe something trivial and not sitting on my ass at some assembly or Kingdom Hall.

When I see friends or family, I don't think there will be plenty of time in some afterlife or resurrection to see them again. So I enjoy them in the moment, recognizing how our time is limited.

• John_Mann
    John_Mann

We are a possibility in this universe because we exist.

And we are made of stuff from this universe.

There's a possibility to recreate everything again as long as the same stuff is available.

Maybe someday a superhuman artificial intelligence would be able to scan the entire space and time (perhaps through quantum entanglement) in an atomic level and then would be able to materialize anything in the present moment. Including human brains at any time in the past.

I like this idea because is a logical possibility.

• rip van winkle
    rip van winkle
    Nothing.
  • rebel8
    rebel8
    What comforts me? Reminding myself that the person lived a good life, was a good person, contributed to society, and lived life to the fullest. (This is probably very difficult if the person spent his life as a jw, because of all the waste, but perhaps there are things that you can reflect on that were aspects of this.)
  • LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Excellent OP.

What comforts you when you no longer believe in a ressurrection ? - AFAIK, this life is all there is, so getting the most out of life and doing my best gives me comfort.

As far as losing loved ones - memories provide comfort, and realising that they loved me, are at peace, and achieved things in their lives.

I don't know if God exists or not.

• Monsieur
    Monsieur

What we percieve as physical and tangible is always being born and dying. What remains constant is the memory and the emotion.

I intend to keep exercising the same memories and same emotions, towards myself and my loved ones.

• violias
    violias

When I gave up believing in Neverland it was scary at first. Then I realized I would never have wanted to spend eternity with most of the jws I knew. Life would have been intolerable - death would have been a blessing .

Finally I came to see that this is the only life we have in the flesh. There might possibly be something in the afterlife ( I still have not given up on that idea ) but whatever it is, it won't be life as we know it now, in the flesh. When I was able to absorb this ( and it took a while) I realized that if there is a God all He wants me to do is live a good life and try and help others and cause no purposeful harm.

Life is a cycle and death is a part it. and it is a circle too as someone dies and another is born. I think about the Lion King and I learned more from that than I ever did at any meeting .

• Hortensia
    Hortensia

I find it comforting to know that someone who has been suffering is no longer suffering. I find it comforting to know that those I've lost aren't aware of the loss, I may be missing family and friends that have died, but they aren't sad and missing me. I find it comforting to know that once I die, I won't know I'm dead.

I don't want to die, and feel sad there are people I'll never see again. I think it's sad that awareness/consciousness comes with the price of knowing it will end some day. But, just the same, I'm glad to have had the chance to live, to appreciate the universe and the wonder of living, even if it's temporary.

• minimus
    minimus
    Heaven

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit