What comforts you when you no longer believe in a ressurrection ?

by EdenOne 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Our family just lost someone dear and very close, a faithful JW. As we went through the entire funeral services and meeting long time brothers and sisters, who in general have been very kind and warm towards us, we realize that the hope of resurrection is a meaningless utopia for us, like a fairytale for little children. We don't have faith in it anymore, and serves us of no comfort. We find solace in the deceased loved one's "good name" and the great memories we keep. How do you personally find comfort when the hope of resurrection has no longer meaning to you?

Eden

• blondie
    blondie

One of my realizations is that life forever with the unloving people in the WTS whether through never dying or resurrection was something I never wanted.

When the elders would try to scare me with death, I realized I was in a living death state.

Now I cherish my life and opportunities every day.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade

there are a couple of things that helped me, although I never really felt comfort from the idea, i guess 1 part doubt and 1 part I didn't believe I'd be good enough to make it through the big A.

You need to fully accept the idea its not going to happen, that this is all there is, we are conditioned to feel this is a morbid idea, but it really isn't. Once you break through and believe that, you get a feeling of peace with the idea. And you start living. You realize life is amazing, and your time is precious, the ones around you are special and you take everything for much more of what it is. It gives you so much more to "live" for.

Also you need to drop the idea of looking for comfort from an idea/answer... religion has conditioned us that there is 100% answer to everything and there just isn't. You need to get a zen like mentality that you are not in control, and you can't know all the answers so stop worrying and start living. Come to terms with this is it, and no one knows what happens when you die. Maybe you just cease to exist except in memories and legacy, or maybe you wake up from a dream in another reality, or maybe on a paradise earth, no one knows and we can't and wont know so just wait until you get there. It's hard to explain the enlightenment and peace you feel when you live this way, most witnesses will think it is trivial shallow existence because thats what we were taught, when its the contrary. You don't know what life is until you see its value this way.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

A thoughtful Topic Eden.

I don't know that the Resurrection teaching was any comfort to me in times of grief and loss, the pain at the time was for my loss then, any hope of future (possible) joy did not seem to help.

Now I no longer believe, I seem not to be so overwhelmed by emotion as I was before, but I really do not know why.

Perhaps it is because I am at peace with the idea of my own mortality, and realise that it is inevitable for all of us, so when death comes a calling, it is nothing to get over excited about, death is a part of life.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I am very sorry for your loss. Very similar to freemindfade, I don't have all the answers to life and death and I have reached a contentment with that. What will be will be and all the tears we shed won't change what reality is. Nevertheless the universe is huge and full of mysteries that we are far from solving. I double up with laughter when people talk as if we have cracked reality when we have only just stopped banging the rocks together.

It is a freeing thing to me that I can wait and see. Oh I have my theories and I've read a lot of books but I have always felt when we discover what reality is it will knock our socks off. Looking forward to it, but I can wait. Perhaps it is true that what we do in life echoes in eternity. Or perhaps eternity doesn't give a damn. Either way I'm fine with that.

• freemindfade
    freemindfade
    Xanthippe
    You are correct, sometimes it is fun to entertain ideas, the thing religion doesn't allow you to do is the following..."It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." – AristotleOnce you break the shackles of religion you find you can let your mind entertain many different ideas from probable to radical etc, but are not bound to it being "Belief" or "The Truth!!". We should be able to treat religion the same way.
  • millie210
    millie210

I may not fit in here, my view seems a little different.

I feel curious and relaxed and view events after death as part of a next phase. I didnt know where I was going when I got born and yet it all unfolded with only passive participation on my part. No baby in utero frets over where it is going next.

I think that if we can imagine something it is because it is possible. Humans can imagine living. Living and not stopping,

So I can allow for some continuation. Is it a recycling event, the simple breaking down of our self in to another form? Is it reincarnation? Do we go somewhere else?

I dont know and neither does anyone else.

The fact that we can conceive it means it is possible.

I refuse to let the Witnesses interpretation of things turn me off the concept in general.

Religions as a whole dont control this aspect of life, even though they try to.

• Giordano
    Giordano

I have reached my seventh decade so this subject is meaningful to me.

My wife and I have a lot to be thankful for. We were JW's from the age of 13 to 23 then we walked out together and made something of ourselves.

I am contented with my accomplishments which pale next to others. Happy with my life, wife, son and daughter-in-law and of course three grandkids which puts the fun back in Christmas and birthdays.

I have very few regrets. I don't have any idea if there is anything on the other side. I don't expect anything other then a nice morphine drip to ease me on my way.

• ToesUp
    ToesUp
    That I lived my life to the best of my ability. That we raised great kids that have respect for each day they are breathing. To have happiness (something we can have today not in the future) and health. Have great memories of the ones we have lost. To accept that we too will die and hope we have made a positive impact on someones life while we were here.
  • Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

"What comforts you when you no longer believe in a ressurrection ?"

Acceptance.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit