What comforts you when you no longer believe in a ressurrection ?

by EdenOne 46 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• My Name is of No Consequence
    My Name is of No Consequence

I don’t think that reality has really set in for me. I’m a born-in, but have been mentally out since at least 2010. I still think like a witness because that’s all that I know. To see people that I love grow old and die is an extremely tough pill to swallow. I used to think that I would see them again, but that isn’t going to happen. I have a difficult time with that. To know that my 89 year old anointed grandmother will die soon and I’ll never see her again after that almost moves me to tears. I try to cope the best way that I can, I guess.

• EdenOne
    EdenOne

Thank you MissFit. And, Scully, how right you are! The "hope of resurrection" is often used as a form of psychological blackmail to keep you in, or at least mentally tied to the JW beliefs, because you don't want to risk letting down your loved ones who expect to see you again when they resurrect. We've heard a lot of those expressions over the past few days, and it just felt sickening.

The funny thing behind this apparently emotionally loaded argument is how cold and judgmental this reasoning is: The person who says: "What will I tell your mother when she resurrects and you're not there?" - is already ruling that: a) He/she will definitely be resurrected, while b) You definitely won't be resurrected. I suppose such person disregards Jesus' own teaching: "Judge not, and you will not be judged; condemn not, and you will not be condemned" - Luke 6:37

Eden

• cofty
  • MissFit
    MissFit
    Thank you Cofty for the link. That article touched me and gave me a different perspective.
  • stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2
    Best comment!:
    EdenOne

I think that trading off the enjoyment of our current life for the unlikeliness of a future one is an awfully bad deal.

• redvip2000
    redvip2000

The feeling that I get about mortality is the same feeling that one gets when he is stuck at home while there is a great party going on somewhere else and you're missing out.

I think about the fact that in the near future, i won't exist anymore, and all the great things happening in the world which i will miss. I really would love even to be an observer of the future even if i could not participate.

But I do find comfort in knowing I now know the straight truth about this, and don't live in a fairy tale. I now know I have to make the most of it now.

Also I have very little desire to live in the world JWs call paradise. I like this world.

• OzGirl
    OzGirl

Hi EdenOne

Just wanted to say that I am sorry to hear about your loss. I keep a memorial garden in my yard for those whom I've lost in death. As each family member dies, I add a new flower to remember them (as Scully described in her post)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit