Catholic "Manger Scene" misrepresents the facts!

by Schizm 60 Replies latest jw friends

• rebel8
    rebel8

The inaccuracies in a manger scene may have caused some fun myths to develop along with some pretty XMas songs that aren't factual. The 1914 thing caused people to join a destructive mind control cult and forego all reasonable happiness and normalcy because they think Armageddon is around the corner. Big difference right?

• Schizm
    Schizm
    The inaccuracies in a manger scene may have caused some fun myths to develop along with some pretty XMas songs that aren't factual.

Maybe YOU know what you're talking about, but I doubt that anybody else does.

The 1914 thing caused people to join a destructive mind control cult and forego all reasonable happiness and normalcy because they think Armageddon is around the corner.

I didn't become a JW due to the "1914 thing". That's not the reason why I became a JW, and I can't say that I know of any others who became JWs for that reason.

Big difference right?

Maybe YOU know what you're talking about, but I doubt that anybody else does.

• heathen
    heathen

I think it even more funny that just because a baby jesus disappears the first suspects are the local satan worshippers . It couldn't just be some punk kids trying to have a little fun it has to be the occult with some evil message for "christians". ROTFLMAO

• rebel8
    rebel8

Schizm, I believe my response to you was respectful and polite so I'm surprised to see such a curt response from you. It is possible to disagree without being disagreeable, isn't it?

For the multitudes who "don't understand what I'm talking about", I was disagreeing with the OP's statement as reposted below. I imagine many would agree that the harm done by misrepresenting the facts about the Magi don't come close to the harm done by the false 1914 teachings of the WTS. (Just because the OP and some others didn't join the WTS because of the Armageddon teachings does not make any part of my original statement untrue.)

If I were to "wink" at what the Catholics are doing with this, then it would require that I also "wink" at the WTS's erroneous 1914 doctrine, as well as a host of other inaccuracies as taught by both religions.
  • simplesally
    simplesally

Ya, I bet Mary, Joseph and Jesus didn't have those funny round 'hats' over their heads either!

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

The ususal manger scene is simply a representative harmonization of the incompatible stories in Matt and Luke. It is IMO rather funny to be upset with some perceived lack of accuracy. The imagery is one of family tenderness and hope in the potential of a newborn, how can you fault any effort to display such sentiments. Mind you, there were many other equally old yet incompatible versions of the tale circulating as these two but the message was the same.

The real crime is insisting upon a single literal intepretation of these stories and demeaning those who read them as they were intended, as allegory and meaningful myth.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

When someone proves to me that the bible is inspired by god I'll start caring whether a secularized holiday accurately represents it in their depictions of a festive scene. Seriously though wow complaining about the accuracy of a manger scene? Aren't enough other things in religion distorted or interpreted to go after. There were no Christmas trees or Christmas lights in the bible either so I certainly hope no Catholic would think of putting these up as part of their holiday display.

• Schizm
    Schizm
    The real crime is insisting upon a single literal intepretation of these stories and demeaning those who read them as they were intended, as allegory and meaningful myth. -- peacefulpete.

The "real crime" is that you were born.

• Mysterious
    Mysterious

Ad hominem attacks usually indicate one party is failing to come up with plausable support for their point of view, aka: losing. Seriously though can't we have a discussion without this coming down to personal attacks on the poster? It certainly doesn't make more people want to agree with your point of view.

• Schizm
    Schizm
    Seriously though wow complaining about the accuracy of a manger scene? Aren't enough other things in religion distorted or interpreted to go after. There were no Christmas trees or Christmas lights in the bible either so I certainly hope no Catholic would think of putting these up as part of their holiday display. -- Mysterious.

According to your profile I see that you're a "queer" that is studying for your BA. So you're trying to become an educated "queer"? In view of your comment I can see a need for you attempting to further your education. Hint: This thread is about the "Manger Scene" not Christmas trees and Christmas lights.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit